CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Transparent Top Question (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/4088285-transparent-top-question.html)

Mr Atoz 01-10-2018 04:10 PM

Transparent Top Question

First post, long time lurker! Finally in the market for my first Corvette and I've come across a 2013 3LT that only has the transparent top. I was under the impression that the transparent top was an option and if the car had that it also had the solid. Am I wrong?

Thank you for all the knowledge that I've gathered so far!

Michael

dr_gallup 01-10-2018 04:13 PM

I'm pretty sure you could get them 3 ways, either top by itself or both tops.

Not a fan of the transparent top myself.

Bruze 01-10-2018 04:21 PM

FWIW: I love my transparent top! Yes, it gets hot inside when parked, but driving a few hundred yards with the windows down will expel most of it, then close the windows and crank the AC up.

A ride at night with the moon out is really nice.

As far as I know, if you ordered it new with the optional trans top, then that's what you got. If you wanted a second top you would have to buy it.

Mr Atoz 01-10-2018 04:30 PM

Has anyone bought the suction cup sun shade? Does it work?

Michael

BozoBBozo 01-10-2018 04:50 PM

Mr Atoz I am also new here (my first post) and I'm only a few days ahead of you, having purchased a 2009 coupe last week. It only had the transparent top; I prefer the look of the vehicle with the painted top, but I must admit the trans top is rather fun - in the Winter. The dealer, a well-known shop in Atlanta, recommended the sun shades that are available for under $100, and he says they work well (though I don't believe the one he recommended used suction cups).

In the end, the fact that the car only had the trans top available wasn't a deal-killer; I have no regrets. Yet.

EVRose 01-10-2018 05:13 PM

Mr. Atoz...I loved that guy!

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...967bb54177.jpg

cadyshac 01-10-2018 05:20 PM

I have both tops but have never used the solid color one, I love the lexan top. Get a "static cling" sun shade and use it during the hottest summer months. They are available from several vendors for less than $50 and mine works great. I just remove it for fall, winter, spring and reinstall when hot weather returns. I got mine from West Coast Corvette, like $39 + shipping.

jbc1995fb 01-10-2018 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Atoz (Post 1596351189)
First post, long time lurker! Finally in the market for my first Corvette and I've come across a 2013 3LT that only has the transparent top. I was under the impression that the transparent top was an option and if the car had that it also had the solid. Am I wrong?

Michael

Welcome to the forum Mike.

If the car you are looking at has everything else you want I'd say buy it. It's very easy to get a used painted top for $300 or so. Or even if you found a different color one and had to have it painted.

The transparent tops are much more expensive to buy or to find one used that's not scratched or has micro-fractures.

If later you don't like the clear top, you could even try to find someone to trade their painted top.

what city or part of the country do you live?

Mr Atoz 01-10-2018 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by EVRose (Post 1596351647)

That's him! Perfect name for a librarian... A to Z lol

cgladish 01-10-2018 07:30 PM

Transparent top

[QUOTE=Mr Atoz;1596351189]First post, long time lurker! Finally in the market for my first Corvette and I've come across a 2013 3LT that only has the transparent top. I was under the impression that the transparent top was an option and if the car had that it also had the solid. Am I wrong?

Michael[/QUOTE
when I bought my '09 3LT (01/2017), it came with both tops.
I much prefer the contrast of the clear top. I will use the solid top only when the temps get into the 100's. at that temp, the AC can't keep up.
otherwise, it's the only I use.

:rock:

J.Moore 01-10-2018 08:38 PM

Some C6 owners don't seem to care which top their car has. My Arctic White Coupe came with both tops and I love having the choice of 3 different looks it gives the car. Changes the look of the car 3 ways and all ways look great. No top, clear top, white top. I swap the tops all the time.

You can buy a painted top anytime. If you do, get a storage bag for it.

jrose7004 01-10-2018 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Atoz (Post 1596351358)
Has anyone bought the suction cup sun shade? Does it work?

Michael

The suction cup headliner works really well.

Elijah71 01-10-2018 09:06 PM

Guys Guys Guys & Gals.

If you have the transparent top and like the open view I strongly suggest that you go to a tint shop and check out a CLEAR tint they have that literally appears to block almost all of the heat from the sun.
It is a 3M product line called Crystalline.
3M claims that all films in the Crystalline line reject 99.9 percent of UV radiation and 90 to 97 percent of infrared radiation.

I just picked up a transparent roof and will be taking it in to get the Crystaline tint on it.

I would have done it also on my car windows but on the C6 due to the large curved rear window nobody will do it because it is a thicker film.

Check the Heat Test

Gotta-Qik-C7 01-10-2018 09:50 PM

My car came with two tops! I installed the Lexan top and sold the painted top! It's no way I'd use the solid top and it was just taking up space!

Mr Atoz 01-10-2018 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by jbc1995fb (Post 1596351796)
Welcome to the forum Mike.

If the car you are looking at has everything else you want I'd say buy it. It's very easy to get a used painted top for $300 or so. Or even if you found a different color one and had to have it painted.

The transparent tops are much more expensive to buy or to find one used that's not scratched or has micro-fractures.

If later you don't like the clear top, you could even try to find someone to trade their painted top.

what city or part of the country do you live?

I'm in central New Jersey, the car is 500 miles away so I can't really look it over in person. Pictures and car fax look good so far. Questions are being answered promptly...

SouthBaySurfer 01-11-2018 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Atoz (Post 1596351189)

Michael

A painted roof was standard; a transparent top(RPO code CC3) was a $750 option; both tops(RPO code C2L) was a $1400 option. You can check the RPO sticker in the glove box to see how your car was originally optioned.

SixAddict 01-11-2018 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by jrose7004 (Post 1596353032)
The suction cup headliner works really well.

:iagree: works very well....

BillytheKidder 01-11-2018 10:11 AM

We got a transparent top about a year ago, the painted top has not come out of the basement since, the transparant top has the added benefit of being much lighter, so it’s easier to take off and put on.

windyC6 01-11-2018 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by EVRose (Post 1596351647)

Man !!....And I thought I was a Trek expert !!!!.....:cheers:

EVRose 01-11-2018 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by windyC6 (Post 1596355475)
Man !!....And I thought I was a Trek expert !!!!.....:cheers:

Ian Wolfe. He played the part of Septimus in Bread and Circuses too!