CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-forced-induction-nitrous-123/)
-   -   Another On3 Build (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-forced-induction-nitrous/4088329-another-on3-build.html)

GaragedLS2 01-10-2018 05:11 PM

Another On3 Build

10 Attachment(s)
So my plan was to put my car back to stock but some things changed and instead of reinvesting a bunch more money into my car, I decided to try something on the cheaper end and try my luck.

Car is a 6spd LS2, stock block and heads, ECS fuel system, FIC 1350 injectors, Racetronix fuel rails with a return system.

Jumped on the On3 kit when I changed my mind to get back into FI due to price and availability. I dont plan to keep the car much longer but wanted to have a bit of fun with it while I still did. Car is tuned on HPTuners and will be tuned on HPTuners once this build is done.

For anyone who doesnt know, the On3 kit is a twin GT35R setup (with their own compressor and exhaust housings on the turbos) and I was told theyve made as much as 890hp on it with an LS7. I dont plan to make much, maybe in the 650-700 range but we'll see how she does.

I'll throw some pics in and hopefully this build doesnt take me too long as I am a VERY busy guy so I rarely get time to work on the car.

southspeed 01-10-2018 05:20 PM

I thought they gave up on the c6 kit? Did they revise it and get it back going?

GaragedLS2 01-10-2018 05:20 PM

3 Attachment(s)
So Ive gotten a bit into the build so I'll post some pics of what's done so far (which isnt much) and my other project since I have the car apart, which is redoing the headlight lenses and hydrodipping the bezels.

Headlights were an absolute pain to get apart for some reason. Tried the traditional *Bake at 220 for 7-12 minutes* method and also used a heatgun. I literally had to bake them about 4x and heatgun the hell out of the sealant to finally get them apart after about 2 hours of prying and cutting. Unfortunately I didnt get away with not damaging the headlights. While I did some minor damage, it still wasnt fun and everything was easily fixable. So far the bezels have been sanded and primered black. I will be hydrodipping them in carbon print.

Hopefully I like it, if not ill just keep them black since the car is silver w/ black accents and wheels and I like the black bezels.

GaragedLS2 01-10-2018 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by southspeed (Post 1596351688)
I thought they gave up on the c6 kit? Did they revise it and get it back going?

To my understanding the owner doesn't want anything to do with Corvettes, or so I was told by an associate. They had most everything in stock when I talked to them, though. Only thing im waiting on are air filters at the moment.

With that said, im not sure if they're continuing to produce the kit or just selling off stock.

GaragedLS2 01-10-2018 05:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I had to tap the oil pan for the turbo drains. Got that all done, got the new starter wired up and installed as well. The turbo and wastegate sit so tight on the car that the stock starter solenoid would hit. On3 includes a starter thats adjustable so you can clock the solenoid to the lower side of the car for clearance.

GaragedLS2 01-10-2018 05:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I threw on the intercooler just to see how it sits. I had to have On3 send me a 2nd deflector since they shorted me one. They were great about getting it out to me in a timely manner. Unfortunately with my aftermarket radiator, I'm not sure I can get the deflectors to fit. Right now I have it installed just the brackets. I'm going to try to cut the deflectors down to fit, hopefully I can manage to work that out. I have the intake tube mocked up in the picture. It looks like the hood would hit but it doesnt. I do have a small "cowl" on my aftermarket hood though.

With how close the spark plug wires will be sitting to the turbo and manifolds, I decided to buy some heat shielding socks for them to aid in keeping them cooler.

g23crawler 01-11-2018 01:43 PM

Nice! Hopefully your build goes faster than mine!:cheers:

schpenxel 01-11-2018 02:53 PM

Sub'd

GaragedLS2 01-11-2018 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by g23crawler (Post 1596356824)
Nice! Hopefully your build goes faster than mine!:cheers:

70 hour work weeks, a pregnant fiance, a wedding/honeymoon soon, and total lack of motivation at times...I highly doubt that haha.

The plan is to get it done ASAP, though, so hopefully its not too long. I'll definitely keep yall updated as I go.

EnviedC6 01-11-2018 06:24 PM

Sub'd

GaragedLS2 01-12-2018 04:00 PM

Picked up some more heat wrap so I can get the manifolds and dump pipes all wrapped up to try to keep down heat. Having come from a rear mount turbo system to this, heat concerns me a bit. I was going to coat everything but figured I'd just wrap it and see how that does. If temps get too high I'll remove it and have it coated AND wrapped. This is just a street car so I dont think I have too much to worry about since I dont drive it like a mad man, but I do want that added safety of not heating things up too much.

One of my main concerns is the starter since it's not something that I can pick up from just anywhere. Has anyone had luck using the DEI starter cover to help with keeping the starter safe? For $25 it seems like it may be a sound investment but not sure how functional it actually is if at all.

Unreal 01-12-2018 05:42 PM

Seen too many cars burn down from header wrap. I wouldn't touch it.

kunta0908 01-13-2018 12:04 AM

Different kit, but with the extreme heat under the hood, I was having issues with the coils on the valve covers. Even with boots, the plug wires hated me. Decided to fix all that as well as clean up the engine bay at the same time. https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...1ea7cc9ab1.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...1577b18830.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...71c7c7feee.jpg

GaragedLS2 01-13-2018 06:53 PM

7 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Unreal (Post 1596365457)
Seen too many cars burn down from header wrap. I wouldn't touch it.

I was surprised to read of so many issues with the wrap. I think I'm going to stay away from it now, especially with all the extra possible oil leaks from adding turbos. I'm just going to run it and see how it does. Like I said, its just a street car that gets driven on the weekends so hopefully she stays cool enough.

Since I decided against the wrap and had a bit of free time today I figured I'd work on the car a bit. Some progress but you really need 2 people for some of this stuff so I'm at a standstill until I get someone to help me a bit. Here are some pics of what I did today.

Replaced the old plugs with new ones since the cars down. Looks like I was running a little lean for a bit which I already new. My tuner fattened the car up and I hadnt changed the plugs since so I knew that was an issue. Replaced the stock, old exhaust manifold gaskets with new ones just because.

I'm going to try to see if I can put the turbo and manifold on together as one on the driver side. I couldnt on the passenger side. I paid On3 to clock the turbos for me which is supposed to alleviate a lot of the headache with fitment issues since you have to figure out the proper clocking while installing/removing it over and over again otherwise.

I also got one of the lights back together but dont have enough clamps to do both. I'm going to let the one dry and then do the other. I love the way they turned out. I was going to hydrodip them carbon but figured the black would look better after seeing it. I think the carbon may look too cheap. The old lenses (pictured above) were beyond repair. I bought overlays but then couldnt see at night and overall wasnt happy with the look of them so took it off and opted to just replace the lenses. I'm more than happy I made that choice and with the outcome.

GaragedLS2 01-13-2018 06:58 PM

Kunta - Thats awesome! Its funny you posted, I was literally just talking to my buddies last night about fender mounting the coils since it not only helps with heat but dramatically helps with cleaning up the bay.

What "kit" did you use to relocate everything? Ive seen some on Amazon for ~150 with all the harness extension and brackets. Only issue I'm having is with the wires. All of the cut-to-fit wires im seeing for LS coils are about 200 bucks which seems a bit absurd. I just bought new msd wires so im having trouble forking out another 200 bucks for another set.

kunta0908 01-13-2018 07:47 PM

When I originally installed this turbo kit, I bought a set of cut to fit Taylor wires for $150 off of Summit. Had them routed back to the firewall and over to reach the valve covers. I ended up melting some coil plastics from the underhood heat and finding out that I had burnt up some plug wires as well.

So I said screw it, found the brackets on ebay for $30. Actually had the extensions that the previous owner of the turbo kit included. Bought another set of $150 plug wires :ack: , and found a great deal on shaved valve covers. Fenders come off pretty easy, took advantage and wired in my flex fuel sensor and mounted my catch can against the fender as well.

This was all in a span of 4-5 months, so it only gradually hurt my wallet, rather than shocking the system in a few days! Gotta stay positive when looking back at my mistakes!

GaragedLS2 01-16-2018 11:51 AM

Decided to move the coils just to be safe. Put the order in last night and got everything needed to relocate them to the fenders. Going to stay with the ugly, stock valve covers for now. Those will be the next upgrade now that I'm moving the coils. Did start to put together the rest of the fuel system last night so I'll get some pictures up of that soon.

GaragedLS2 01-16-2018 10:32 PM

Heres a little sneek peek at whats going on with fuel.https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...00849c8439.jpg

GaragedLS2 01-17-2018 07:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got everything for the custom length wires in today. Decided to just build them from scratch completely since it was about 70 bucks cheaper and I have to do most of the work anyhow with a "kit" from taylor or msd.

Waiting on the coil brackets and extension harness' then I'll get this job done.

Oddly, I'm more excited about moving these ugly coils out of the way than I have been for a lot of other mods. Love the way the bay looks without them and some nice valve covers.

GaragedLS2 01-26-2018 08:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got all the extension harness' but somehow the coil brackets were damaged during shipping so I had to reorder them. I got them today so I'll hopefully have some time this weekend to mock everything up.

I'd say the extension harness' will allow you to put the coils pretty much anywhere haha. These things are long!

Dont mind my dirty engine bay, it'll be spruced up soon enough.