CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   How do I beat the seat back cushion back into the seat frame? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/4089071-how-do-i-beat-the-seat-back-cushion-back-into-the-seat-frame.html)

Mikeceli 01-12-2018 03:37 PM

How do I beat the seat back cushion back into the seat frame?

1986 coupe standard seats (NOT sport) Son and I installed new leather in the drivers seat.

I see where the seat cushion metal needs to go under the 4 metal tabs in the seat back frame.

What does it take to get it in there? The new leather is kinda slippery and I'm having trouble getting even the first pair of clips engaged.

I think I am in for a fight. (The frame is still in the car. I suppose it would be better on a work bench?

tHANKS.

s carter 01-12-2018 04:34 PM

I found, Dip the inside edge (center of car) and push Backward and to Console get it Hooked on the one side. Sometimes you can get away with a Good shove inward and back and get the Outward side to catch but I found it easier to take a Large Screwdriver and place it against the seat Cushion frame and push it sideways over the Tab (NOT PRY PUSH) I even have a Screwdriver with a Groove in the blade to do it.

Mikeceli 01-12-2018 08:03 PM

Thanks S Carter. I just came back from Harbor Freight w/ a couple cheap 16" screwdrivers and a 16" cheap pry bar, I will notch them on my grinder and try it tomorrow, w/ my Son.

Easier w/ the frame in or out of the car?

Any other tips guys?

Hot Rod Roy 01-12-2018 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by s carter (Post 1596364980)
push it sideways over the Tab (NOT PRY PUSH) I even have a Screwdriver with a Groove in the blade to do it.

:iagree:
Very important: Push-don't pry!

s carter 01-12-2018 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mikeceli (Post 1596366386)
Thanks S Carter. I just came back from Harbor Freight w/ a couple cheap 16" screwdrivers and a 16" cheap pry bar, I will notch them on my grinder and try it tomorrow, w/ my Son.

Easier w/ the frame in or out of the car?

Any other tips guys?

I normally leave in the car Because it is held Down well for the Push in, but that is Optional I Guess you could get it Clipped in the one side and since you have another person to help hold it I usually don't have the second Person.

The notch in the screwdriver I wouldn't go to crazy with it, the Groove/notch in the one I have was Worn in back in the Iron Head days when I be doing Valve Cover Gaskets all the Time and I used that Screwdriver to Run around the Head to get the RTV/Gasket Material off before a Good Cleaning. But make the notch as big as you want to have a good Grip on the Seat Frame.

HAD2HAV2 01-12-2018 10:41 PM

I attached the bottoms in first. I did pry the frame mounts out a little. The tops are harder. I once again pried the frame mounts out slightly. You will have to lock one side on and really squeeze the head foam really tight to lock in the other mount. The leather will take it.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...17ff4db251.jpg

Finished project. Gives it a wrinkle look

Mikeceli 01-12-2018 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by HAD2HAV2 (Post 1596367273)
I attached the bottoms in first. I did pry the frame mounts out a little. The tops are harder. I once again pried the frame mounts out slightly. You will have to lock one side on and really squeeze the head foam really tight to lock in the other mount. The leather will take it.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...17ff4db251.jpg

Finished project. Gives it a wrinkle look

Beautiful leather and color! Not a factory color that I remember.

Mikeceli 01-12-2018 11:24 PM

Thank you all for the suggestions. I will tackle this w/ my son and report back.

cdm747 01-13-2018 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Mikeceli (Post 1596367441)
Beautiful leather and color! Not a factory color that I remember.

That is a 35th Anniversary model, came with white leather interior. I have one also.

Mikeceli 01-13-2018 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by cdm747 (Post 1596368529)
That is a 35th Anniversary model, came with white leather interior. I have one also.

I must have forgot about that one. Beautiful car.

HAD2HAV2 01-13-2018 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mikeceli (Post 1596369713)
I must have forgot about that one. Beautiful car.

Thanks.

You'll love your new leather when you are finished. :thumbs:

Mikeceli 01-13-2018 06:20 PM

Mike Jr. and I got it done!

Actually not bad, with the 16" angled pry-bar (which I "V" notched on my grinder) I was able to direct the foam metal right under the 4 tabs.

I put the frame on the work bench, up against the wall so it could not get away from us.

Your advise really helped. Thanks! MC

MSGT-R 01-25-2018 04:44 PM

At least now I know I'm not the only one that has a hard time with hand-strength!

I gave up and put in a small cord into the head rest crease, around the shell and tied it off until I could get it muscled in there!

xrav22 01-26-2018 01:17 AM

I have been tryin to muscle them back in with no luck thx for the info .