CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Pay as you drive insurance for the Winter storage months. (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4089092-pay-as-you-drive-insurance-for-the-winter-storage-months.html)

TurtleRayZ51 01-12-2018 04:20 PM

Pay as you drive insurance for the Winter storage months.

I was thinking it might be a good idea to obtain pay as you drive insurance for the winter storage months. Since I don't drive the car I am thinking I should net a hell of a deal VS the standard policy I carry now which has me paying the same year round. Has a device that plugs into your OBD which I dont care since im not driving it. Then in spring just end with them and go back to my standard traditional policy. Thoughts??

LanceVette 01-12-2018 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by TurtleRayZ51 (Post 1596364876)
I was thinking it might be a good idea to obtain pay as you drive insurance for the winter storage months. Since I don't drive the car I am thinking I should net a hell of a deal VS the standard policy I carry now which has me paying the same year round. Has a device that plugs into your OBD which I dont care since im not driving it. Then in spring just end with them and go back to my standard traditional policy. Thoughts??

I checked into that possibility as my friend here in town does just that. According to State Farm, that option would not save me any money, so I just keep things the way they are.

CptCvMan 01-12-2018 06:06 PM

Why not just drop the coverage to storage insurance if you wiil not be driving it?

DALE#3 01-12-2018 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by CptCvMan (Post 1596365617)
Why not just drop the coverage to storage insurance if you wiil not be driving it?

:iagree: Collision is the most expensive part in a TAXACHUSETTS Insurance Policy.Fire and theft is a must have.
Simply Add and Subtract when coverage is needed :thumbs:

WhiteRocket 01-15-2018 09:30 PM

I use hagerty, go online and get a quote. Cost was less than half of what progressive was charging me for my Camaro.
Not sure what Corvette savings would have been as I simply put the vette on as soon as I bought it.
I don't think you'll be disappointed.

M_G 01-15-2018 10:18 PM

I agree on turning off collision coverage. Its the most expensive part. The comprehensive (which you need even when in storage for fire, theft, any other disaster you can think of) is usually only $100 or so for the entire year. I get a sizable check back every fall when I turn collision off. Then in the spring you add it back and off you go.

Note - If you have a loan (GM Financial for me) they will not like that you turn off collision and will keep sending letters asking about it, but at the end of the day they don't do anything more than ask you to provide proof of coverage. No penalties, etc. even through technically collision coverage is required in the loan agreement.

JerryU 01-16-2018 04:29 AM

Was doing that with All State for my street rod that mostly goes to shows. Was told my home Owner's policy covered fire and theft (would double check to be sure.) The state requires liability but cut coverage to just the minimum and would call on a Friday and say reinstate collision and comprehensive. On a Monday called and removed. PIA! After forgetting one Saturday morning went to show anyway, no issues and now use Hagarty and total cost, covered all the time, is less!

ls777z 01-16-2018 04:48 AM

insurance

State Farm has a withdrawal from use option. You agree not to use the car and your rate is 25% of normal and all coverages are
​​​​​​​in force. I used this a lot in my younger days. And I know its still done because my mother did it in October with her 2001 Mustang GT.

vbdenny 01-16-2018 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by TurtleRayZ51 (Post 1596364876)

I suppose that realy depends on where you live. (We don’t know where you live). In VB it is ususally nice enough to drive almost all year so no need to change insurance of and on as the opportunity for a nice hot lap comes up frequently in the winter (usually) so always ready. I moved from the Great White North many,many years ago to avoid such issues. Couldn’t stand having cars salted and gritty. A touch of OCD with cars.

3 Z06ZR1 01-16-2018 11:38 AM

In Oregon the insurance all reports to DMV so I would be careful here about dropping coverage.
The big thing is not speeding anymore they simply sit on the side read all the plates going by with the plate reader and anything wrong they pull you over. No insurance or No permit is straight to jail.

Amica gives me full coverage 1000 dec. for 465 for a full year on my 2017 Z06 best rate I have seen!

m3incorp 01-16-2018 07:29 PM

Too many variables between states and people's situation to give any advice other than what a person pays in their own situation. As far as plugging a device into my vehicle to track me and my driving...that is a NO NO for me as a rule.