CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Back and forth to the dealer (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4089241-back-and-forth-to-the-dealer.html)

219michael1061 01-13-2018 12:37 AM

Back and forth to the dealer

I need HELP!!!!!! I purchased a 2016 Corvette 2LT 4k miles "Flood Car". I been back and forth to the dealer 3 times for repairs. I have a question about "Settings" on the radio. I can't get into Driving Mode and Vehicle. I just got it back from the dealer. I was told all the programming was done. I think the dealer just wants my money. I got the car back with no mileage on it. I need to go back to the dealer. AGAIN
I'm thinking that Drive Mode and Vehicle under Settings has something to do with my problems with power mirrors, steering wheel tilt, and power seats. Fuel gauge doesn't work either. The car runs and drives. I've replace most of the modules on the inside of the car and the wire harness. I did most of the work myself. I purchased most parts new online. Saved a lot of money. That might be the reason the dealer is playing with me. Mad, that I didn't let them rip me off.
I'm wondering if there is another module I need to replace?

WelderGuy 01-13-2018 02:26 AM

This is why buying a highly-computerized car that you know had been flooded is never a good plan.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

teejake 01-13-2018 09:08 AM

Good luck on finding a solution. It’s exactly why I didn’t complain when my insurance company elected to total my 2014 after Harvey rather than repair. I sincerely hope you get it straightened out and enjoy many problem free miles.

dvilin 01-13-2018 09:13 AM

Flood Car lots of luck, unfortunately most times you get what you pay for.

Vetteman Jack 01-13-2018 09:16 AM

Sorry you’re having problems with the car. Hope you can eventually get it fixed. As others have said, flood cars can present a number of problems, especially in the electrical area. Sometimes a good deal doesn’t work out that well. But I guess this problem may not be related to the flood.

Saint_Spinner 01-13-2018 09:25 AM

Can you be a little bit more specific about the mirrors/seat/tilt issues? Also some pictures of the “settings” page on the radio might help. Or a short video clip will be even more helpful.
Are settings greed out? Button just not responding and etc.

c54u 01-13-2018 09:29 AM

I would try disconnecting the neg battery cable for a couple of minutes to see if that fixes anything.

You may also want to check your wiring harnesses and connectors for any corrosion and ensure they are securely clipped together.

I would take it to a different dealer if the last 3 visits have been to the same dealer and you have gotten nowhere with them.

Fuel gauge thread suggestions

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ilure-fix.html

Good luck.

:cheers:

RonC7 01-13-2018 02:10 PM

Some of the settings are 'grayed out' and unavailable unless the motor is running or you are in service mode. To get to service mode, press START without your foot on the brake for 10 sec or so. Be sure to press START again to exit service mode when done.

The owners manual is available up in the sticky threads.

Good luck!

Ron

AORoads 01-13-2018 02:19 PM

The owner's manual is also online w. pdf by googling for free usually. I don't know how you're doing this rebuild (are you a technician?) but I'm hoping you have the Helms manual for the electronics or that electronics is your vocation/avocation. The manual really does help.

You might ask in a separate thread with the headline being something like 'anyone have the shop manual nearby X location?' Could be someone near you has it.

BTW, where are you?

219michael1061 01-13-2018 04:36 PM

I would do it again. I want a truck next. I paid $17,500.00 for 2016 corvette 2LT with 4k miles. It has 1 little scratch in the fender. The sales paperwork inside the car was from 4 month earlier when it was purchased $61,000.00 for the car. I put $4,000.00 into it. I went threw and replaced most of the modules on the inside. I didn't care if it worked or not. I replaced it with new modules. The car had no keys when I purchased it. So I wasn't worried about engine damage. I had to clean everything. It had a mud coat over everything. 1ST I sprayed mold killer on everything then I started taking it apart and cleaning. All the fluids were clean but I replaced them anyways and filters. Drained the gas tank. I have service manuals $$$$. They help when It comes to taking things apart. Runs fine. All the important things work. Just a few little luxuries things are not working. Not really important. I've had a lot of people say they were surprised because it doesn't smell inside the car. I'm really happy with it.

teejake 01-13-2018 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by 219michael1061 (Post 1596371477)
I would do it again. I want a truck next. I paid $17,500.00 for 2016 corvette 2LT with 4k miles. It has 1 little scratch in the fender. The sales paperwork inside the car was from 4 month earlier when it was purchased $61,000.00 for the car. I put $4,000.00 into it. I went threw and replaced most of the modules on the inside. I didn't care if it worked or not. I replaced it with new modules. The car had no keys when I purchased it. So I wasn't worried about engine damage. I had to clean everything. It had a mud coat over everything. 1ST I sprayed mold killer on everything then I started taking it apart and cleaning. All the fluids were clean but I replaced them anyways and filters. Drained the gas tank. I have service manuals $$$$. They help when It comes to taking things apart. Runs fine. All the important things work. Just a few little luxuries things are not working. Not really important. I've had a lot of people say they were surprised because it doesn't smell inside the car. I'm really happy with it.

Makes sense from that perspective and price. My 14 didn’t have a mark on it nor a bit of odor after the flood and I’m quite sure no engine damage but the electronics were definitely fried, to what extent I will never know. I guess the other challenge can be that from my understanding it’s hard to get full coverage on a salvage title but maybe when you buy that cheap it’s worth it. That said my insurance gave me 62,500 after deductible forba 14 Z51 with 9900 miles on it so I’m only putting about 21 on top of that to get into a 19 GS (taxes included). Keep posting how you do solving your issues and how about some pics too? We never get tired of Vette photos!

Ernest_T 01-13-2018 04:50 PM

You guys are brave!

ONENATION 01-13-2018 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by WelderGuy (Post 1596367842)
This is why buying a highly-computerized car that you know had been flooded is never a good plan.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

:iagree:

TEXHAWK0 01-13-2018 06:14 PM

You will probably not ever get rid of all the electrical problems if the car was really flooded.
The problems can show up years after the water damage when corrosion can develop in areas not originally affected. good luck

Always Red Dave 01-13-2018 06:38 PM

Look on the bright side With only spending $17,500 on your 2016 C7 you have a lot of money leftover for problems that need to be addressed.

Avanti 01-13-2018 08:29 PM

Can you say just asking for trouble!?! I dealt with flood cars while working for a dealership as a kid before all the electronics and they were a p.i.t.a.!

thrilled 01-13-2018 09:39 PM

I’d try to sell it.Your money bought you a lot of problems.Good luck.

Sailfun 01-13-2018 09:52 PM

Most flood car issues show up 6 months to a year after the car is flooded. Corrosion builds on all the connectors. You really need to go through every single electrical connector on the car.

DWillys 01-14-2018 11:48 AM

I suspect the reason the dealer isn't too helpful is because it is a flood car. If they replace something they, to a certain extent, take "ownership" of it. They know flood cars are usually a never ending stream of problems and they don't want to deal with it. Fixing a problem can take dozens of man hours more that expected and the vehicle will still have problems, problems they may be blamed for.

It makes more sense for them to allocate their repair tech's time to repairs on vehicles they know how long it will take to fix.

MikeERWNC 01-15-2018 09:39 PM

Here is another one.
Who is selling these cars?
These should be in a salvage yard so we can buy parts on eBay.

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/bar...460451569.html