CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Does anybody use the clip to hold your shoulder belt in the guide? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4089516-does-anybody-use-the-clip-to-hold-your-shoulder-belt-in-the-guide.html)

DGA3 01-13-2018 05:14 PM

Does anybody use the clip to hold your shoulder belt in the guide?

As we all know, the shoulder belt holder/guide on the seat has a gap in it, and the belt constantly comes out of it. I was ready to purchase the little clip that holds it in place, but then read a comment online by someone who said that the shoulder belt guide with the gap was only to be used by children and smaller adults. This person said that this information was in the manual.

Consequently, I looked in my manual, and sure enough - on page 65 it states: "The seat has a safety belt guide. The safety belt guide helps position the shoulder belt over the shoulder and across the chest of smaller adults and of older children who have outgrown booster seats. To use the safety belt guide, slide the edge of the belt webbing through the opening on the guide."

Conclusion: 99% of us are not supposed to be using that guide, even though it seems to hold the shoulder belt in exactly the place it needs to be (which would then make using the clip very helpful to keep the belt in place).

What do you think? Do you use the shoulder belt guide? If you do, have you purchased and put into use the little clip that holds the shoulder belt in the guide?

Just wondering . . . . . :D

C5_Tom 01-13-2018 05:42 PM

I use the belt guide. No problems with it coming out of the guide in use and it is very comfortable for me, don’t use the retaining clip either.

phatpipez 01-13-2018 05:59 PM

I'm 6'4". It's more comfortable without the guide.

DWS44 01-13-2018 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by phatpipez (Post 1596371919)

:iagree: I'm not quite that tall, but find it more comfortable w/o the guide as well.

LT4CMG 01-13-2018 06:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I’m 5’8 so I use it. Here’s my free solution (free because for some reason I have 20 feet of this Velcro in a basement drawer). I just swapped over to comp seats, which are a bit taller, so I’ll see if I will continue to use the Velcro roll.

dvilin 01-13-2018 06:06 PM

:iagree: Same here.

Originally Posted by C5_Tom (Post 1596371805)
I use the belt guide. No problems with it coming out of the guide in use and it is very comfortable for me, don’t use the retaining clip either.

LT4CMG 01-13-2018 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by phatpipez (Post 1596371919)

Maybe I'll get there in another lifetime brother. This go-around, I couldn't even hit 6' :lol:

owc6 01-13-2018 07:10 PM

I bought the $20 little plastic clip to keep it in, because I hated it coming out all the time. I'm 5'9", but with a 34" inseam, so I'm short when sitting down. This is what the holder is for: shorter people. Also the belt comes from a different place in the coupe than the Vert, so that can affect how it behaves.

It was worth every penny to me, and looks OEM. Others have used many methods to keep the belt in place, but I didn't like the looks of any of those options in comparison.

Steve Garrett 01-13-2018 07:18 PM

Yep, I use it too.

///ADMAN 01-14-2018 12:52 AM

No on Driver. Yes on Passenger.

f1reb1rd 01-14-2018 04:39 AM

i too use the belt guide and purchased the plastic clips to keep it in place. takes a little getting use to. seems more snug and slight restriction to put belt on.

RMS73 01-14-2018 05:55 AM

Don't use it. It is positioned too low for me.

DGA3 01-14-2018 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by f1reb1rd (Post 1596374022)
i too use the belt guide and purchased the plastic clips to keep it in place. takes a little getting use to. seems more snug and slight restriction to put belt on.

I am tempted to purchase and use it as well.

The one negative I have read about is what you just said - it somewhat restricts the movement of the shoulder belt.

On the other hand, that doesn't seem to be a terrible problem compared to the belt constantly coming in and out of the retainer bracket.

That's an annoying problem!

VistaVette 01-14-2018 08:12 AM

I use it (5'8") and to keep it from coming out I put a small price of heat shrink tube over the space. Issue solved.

RUSTYNKL 01-14-2018 08:13 AM

I am tall 6 feet, my wife is 5-7. I went to home depot and bought 5/8" clear tubing cut it to fit the entire length on the top of the loop. Can hardly see it, the belt stays in place with no problems.

mtaxman 01-14-2018 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by RUSTYNKL (Post 1596374303)
I am tall 6 feet, my wife is 5-7. I went to home depot and bought 5/8" clear tubing cut it to fit the entire length on the top of the loop. Can hardly see it, the belt stays in place with no problems.

Now that sounds like a great solution...cost about 25 cents?...I'm your size; my wife is about 5'4".

JonMN 01-14-2018 10:29 AM

I'm a little over 6' and use the guide in my vert. If you don't (on the vert) the latch can get jammed in between the door and the trim when and leave a mark when you shut the door. Several marks later I added heat-shrink to keep it in and no more problem. On the coupe the belt emerges higher on the pillar than on the vert, so the keeper acts a little different.

Foosh 01-14-2018 10:40 AM

I'm 6'2" and skinny, and I find she shoulder belt much more comfortable in the guide. I also found it exceedingly annoying that the belt would frequently remove itself, so I bought the OEM-looking clips, which are great.

Zaphod B 01-14-2018 10:54 AM

5' 7" here; I use the guide as it's much easier for me to reach around and grab the belt.

It does come out of the guide, and I appreciate the suggestions above!

Irecycleit 01-14-2018 11:32 AM

I also hated the belt coming out of the guide. I was in Effingham at Mid America Motor and was talking to Mike Yager about it. He showed me the clips they sell installed on his Z06. I bought them. They look good and do the job. I am 6 ft and they dont effect the seat comfort at all. I would recommend them to anyone.