CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   Tick speed bleeder help (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/4089649-tick-speed-bleeder-help.html)

2kFRC_HWN 01-13-2018 10:43 PM

Tick speed bleeder help

I need some help..

I did my monster clutch... tick master.. GM Slave and tick bleeder.

Closed everything up and bled the slave... Clutch fluid leaking from bell.

Opened up the bell it's leaking from the copper crush washer supplied with the bleeder.

Something struck me as odd when I was assembling it...but figured there was a reason for it.... so I used it...

The crush washer was oval shaped.

For those of you with the speed bleeder is it supposed to be oval? If it is I'll just separate everything again and tighten the fitting. If its not supposed to be.. I'll buy a new one.

Pretty unhappy..

Thank you.
​​​​​​

2kFRC_HWN 01-14-2018 02:29 AM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...e7c438189d.jpgPretty sure what they sent me is not ok...

Shame on me... Should've known better..

frodo84 01-14-2018 10:35 AM

Are you sure it's supposed to have the crush washer? It seals on the end surface, right? Is the washer (which doesn't look like it fits or belongs there) is preventing the end surface from reaching it's matching seal surface, wouldn't it leak?

93Polo 01-14-2018 11:27 AM

I believe the crush washer goes on the line side of the fitting that goes into the slave.

frodo84 01-14-2018 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by 93Polo (Post 1596375397)
I believe the crush washer goes on the line side of the fitting that goes into the slave.

That makes sense :thumbs:. It is in the wrong place.

2kFRC_HWN 01-14-2018 11:53 AM

That's actually the side that threads into the slave.
the copper washer is sandwiched between the fitting and slave.

The end of the oval opening extends past the fitting face.

​​​​​the washer wasn't damaged either... Looks defective. It was perfectly flat.

neutron82 01-14-2018 03:19 PM

my remote bleeder doesn't use a washer at the slave end but it is from a different company... do you happen to have a picture of the whole bleeder line?... maybe that washer was supposed to be used on the bleeder end?

2kFRC_HWN 01-15-2018 11:57 PM

It's in and sealed up. I went to the local honda motorcycle dealer and used and aluminum crush washer for the brake calipers.

The fitting from tick isn't long enough for the flare to seat in the slave...

​​ the other end has a bleeder nipple on the line and seals up well against the flare.

It was a pain to open up the torque tube after closing everything up. In hindsight I should've installed the master and checked the slave before putting the trans and cradle back...... I installed the torque tube first.. It was easier for me to manipulate.

f6john 01-16-2018 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by 2kFRC_HWN (Post 1596386143)
It's in and sealed up. I went to the local honda motorcycle dealer and used and aluminum crush washer for the brake calipers.

The fitting from tick isn't long enough for the flare to seat in the slave...

​​ the other end has a bleeder nipple on the line and seals up well against the flare.

It was a pain to open up the torque tube after closing everything up. In hindsight I should've installed the master and checked the slave before putting the trans and cradle back...... I installed the torque tube first.. It was easier for me to manipulate.

On another note, I have read some online reviews about aluminum crush washers that were very negative. I recently purchased a complete set of Russell braided brake lines for my Impala SS and the kit came with aluminum washers which I replaced with copper. Reviews claim that the washers do seal but that over time they corrode and do start leaking. I have no first hand knowledge of this happening but I didn’t want to chance it. Just a heads up for something to watch for.

2kFRC_HWN 01-18-2018 03:01 PM

Thanks for the info F6john!! Ill watch out for it... Im hoping it seizes up instead of leaks!!

BTTBSS 01-19-2018 08:59 PM

washers

FWIW I use copper washers on the brake lines but anneal them first with a butane torch. Heat 'em up and air cool. I run C6/C5 calipers on my SS with SS lines.

2kFRC_HWN 01-20-2018 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by BTTBSS (Post 1596412351)
FWIW I use copper washers on the brake lines but anneal them first with a butane torch. Heat 'em up and air cool. I run C6/C5 calipers on my SS with SS lines.

That's smart!! I'll remember this one for next time!