CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Modifying your car - is it worth the dollars? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4090003-modifying-your-car-is-it-worth-the-dollars.html)

walker3 01-14-2018 10:34 PM

Modifying your car - is it worth the dollars?

After you spend the money to modify your car - and you think about it after a while - is it worth it at the end?
- under hood painting,
- increasing HP
- changing the steering wheel, etc.
-

do you expect to get your money back when you sell or expect a lost and do it for your own enjoyment?

I will start - I don't expect to get my money back so I do what pleases me - so I do limit what I modify

jagamajajaran 01-14-2018 10:43 PM

You're lucky to get half your money out of mods. I mod for my own pleasure and not for what I think I can (or can't) get out of it later. :)

robert miller 01-14-2018 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by walker3 (Post 1596379338)
After you spend the money to modify your car - and you think about it after a while - is it worth it at the end?
- under hood painting,
- increasing HP
- changing the steering wheel, etc.
-

do you expect to get your money back when you sell or expect a lost and do it for your own enjoyment?

I will start - I don't expect to get my money back so I do what pleases me - so I do limit what I modify

No you will never get your money back out of the mods a person will do to a car.

Like you said a person does it for his are her on enjoyment. Just to make it his on likes & enjoyment.:thumbs::D Robert

managerman 01-14-2018 10:48 PM

I have spent thousands on modding my Vette. It has been worth every penny as each mod makes my Vette more and more unique and special to me. It's a great and fun hobby!

-M

LT4CMG 01-14-2018 10:56 PM

I'm with everyone else here. Purely for my own enjoyment and setting it apart from others. You can kiss the $ goodbye. There are very few, select mods you can get some $ back on, but most aren't worth the hassle of removing before selling the car.

Maxie2U 01-14-2018 11:15 PM

Yes, I like the things I did to my car like hood liner upgrade and custom painted plenum and fuel rail covers.

And no, I don’t expect to get that money back and simply do it for my own enjoyment.

Foosh 01-15-2018 01:02 AM

You will almost certainly not get any of your money back, and more than likely you will be decreasing the market value/saleabiity of the car. You could get lucky if the right person comes along, but that's like winning the lottery.

mountainears 01-15-2018 01:06 AM

Anyone doing it for the money; mods or buying a Corvette, is just smoking the wrong stuff...... Only thing you should be smoking is the enjoyment of owning one of these cars....

fugly1 01-15-2018 01:12 AM

Cars depreciate. Quickly. It's all a losing proposition, economically speaking. Buy it/mod it if you enjoy it and can afford it. It's an expensive hobby, folks.

z06inVB 01-15-2018 04:24 AM

I spend too much time driving it to do any mods. 👍

jimmie jam 01-15-2018 06:26 AM

I do removable mods only. I spent about 1,700 on my C6 and removed everything prior to its sale and sold them here for 1,030. FWIW.....

juanvaldez 01-15-2018 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Foosh (Post 1596379795)
You will almost certainly not get any of your money back, and more than likely you will be decreasing the market value/saleabiity of the car. You could get lucky if the right person comes along, but that's like winning the lottery.

:iagree:

woodsguy 01-15-2018 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Foosh (Post 1596379795)

I agree, whether cars or motorcycles, I look for as close to stock as possible. I sure don't many mods add to value.

dvilin 01-15-2018 08:30 AM

No way you will get your money back from mods. For myself the Corvette pretty much comes perfectly equipped and looks super from the factory. Have not found a need to do any mods.

rrsperry 01-15-2018 08:36 AM

Let's see.
MGW shifter, makes the car better to drive, is removable
Vittesse controller. Ditto
Cags plug. Ditto
Block-it sound mats. Ditto
Black grill for exhaust hole. Looks way better, so cheap I don't care.
Mobil1 oil cap. Just because

Yeah, I suck... 2+ years and that's all I've done...

dbaker 01-15-2018 08:46 AM

An example.....I know a guy that has a beautiful C4 for sale.

It's purple metalflake with mustard yellow roll & pleated interior.

He can't hardly give it away!

Some mods,tastefully done are generally ok.But something like this example is fine if you keep it....not so fine if you try to sell.

\db2

bbrown450 01-15-2018 09:15 AM

This....when I sell it anything of substantial value...comes off and can usually get 60% of my costs back

Originally Posted by rrsperry (Post 1596380445)
Let's see.
MGW shifter, makes the car better to drive, is removable
Vittesse controller. Ditto
Cags plug. Ditto
Block-it sound mats. Ditto
Black grill for exhaust hole. Looks way better, so cheap I don't care.
Mobil1 oil cap. Just because

Yeah, I suck... 2+ years and that's all I've done...

JerryU 01-15-2018 09:23 AM

Capturing money for mods doesn't even cross my mind! I do it for me!

However I was able to remove a number from my 2014 Z51 and install on my Grand Sport!

afe Low Restriction Intake
Elite Catch Can
Rear GM Splash Guards (used the wider ACS in the front)
McGard Wheel Locks
Custom Sill Plate
Lloyds Plush Floor Mats
Novitreach Bra and Mirror Covers
Window Valet

Also transferred:
Battery Charger
Dynaplug Pro tire patch kit
Black wheels weights (or if getting a flat fixed you'll get silver!)
Seat Cover (when working on the car)
C7 Logo Water Bottle
Silicon Key Fob Cover

Buyer really liked the real Carbon Fiber: side skits, splitter, hood vent and grill bar cover. That and the OEM Viable CF roof helped get my sale price, IMO!

LightningBolt 01-15-2018 09:26 AM

From the perspective of someone who is currently in the market for their next vette, I generally avoid modded cars particularly engine mods. If the engine has been worked on, there is a greater chance the owner has run it hard and while that doesn't mean the car isn't well cared for, it's one more thing for me as a buyer to worry about. Modifications decrease market value and at best are a wash.

As an extreme example, would you buy the 1975 Carl's Jr modded vette on the CVF splash page? :ack:

Purple92 01-15-2018 09:37 AM

It's funny - it you read through the replies on this post - it's pretty much understood that you will NOT get money back for the mods when you sell the car (and For What It's Worth - I completely agree). The only way to recover cost is to remove the add ons and try to sell them separately.

However - if you hop on over to any of the For Sale portions of the forum - that understanding does NOT seem to hold true there. It's commonplace to see heavily modded cars - where the seller is asking substantially more than "equivalent" (same age - roughly the same mileage) cars...

As they say - I guess it's all determined by if you're buying or if you're selling....