CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   [C2] Which is the best approach in refinishing your Corvette-single- or two-stage? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/4090805-which-is-the-best-approach-in-refinishing-your-corvette-single-or-two-stage.html)

CorvetteMikeB 01-16-2018 09:58 PM

Which is the best approach in refinishing your Corvette-single- or two-stage?

Which paint job is recommended for a classic Corvette?

Which is the best paint job approach in refinishing your Corvette-single- or two-stage?
I understand the single stage paint job is used for originality, but lacks the long term durability and high gloss shine of the two-stage paint job.

dplotkin 01-16-2018 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by CorvetteMikeB (Post 1596392555)

Which is the best paint job approach in refinishing your Corvette-single- or two-stage?
I understand the single stage paint job is used for originality, but lacks the long term durability and high gloss shine of the two-stage paint job.

Single stage is no less durable than base/clear and on 60's and earlier metal cars presents as authentic. I cannot speak for glass cars as I'm not experienced. The decision should be personal preference. If you are going black consider single stage. base/clear black looks greasy.

Dan

LouieM 01-16-2018 10:27 PM

The base/clear Goodwood Green was applied sometime before I bought my 67 in 2002. It still looks super shiny even though I don't polish/wax it even once a year. The one time I had it detailed, it shone like the sun. I've never had a single-stage paint job look so good for so long, with so little care.

4 Speed Dave 01-16-2018 10:31 PM

To me it depends on the color. When I painted my 66 Black I went with PPG Concept Single Stage. I like the look of solid colors better with a high quality single stage rather than base/clear. However on any sort of flake or metallic paint base/clear is the only way to go. Also single stage is easier to do minor chip or touch ups on. It also depends on how comfortable your painter is with each system. I've been using PPG Concept for many years and love it. Each painter will have their own favorite clear or single stage paint system. Talk to 5 painters you will probably get 5 different preferences.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...3df7b84f45.jpg

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...e9545b561c.jpg

68hemi 01-16-2018 10:35 PM

It is all a matter of personal preference. I personally don't like the BC/CC paint as most of the time it has a wet look to it, too shiny. If you are looking for an original new car paint look of back in the day, I would go with a single stage enamel. It can be cut in for a match much easier than BC/CC if you have an accident or need to do touch up later on. Many of the BC/CC jobs you see today has orange peel in the BC and once it is clear coated it is there forever.

John McGraw 01-16-2018 10:36 PM

Solid colors I always paint with Single stage. Metallic colors I always paint with BC/CC.

Single stage is no less durable than clear coat paint jobs. The material is the same, clear just does no have any pigment in it. If you like to color sand and buff your paint job to get all the orange peel out, then you pretty much have to use BC/CC for metallic colors. Color sanding on metallic paint will make the paint "ring" and "tiger stripe" you need the clear layer on top to sand without disturbing the metallic pattern. Solid colors can be color sanded without worries, and single stage is just plain easier to touch up. Of course, solid colors are easier to touch up than metallic.

Regards, John McGraw

CorvetteMikeB 01-16-2018 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by John McGraw (Post 1596392776)
Solid colors I always paint with Single stage. Metallic colors I always paint with BC/CC.

Single stage is no less durable than clear coat paint jobs. The material is the same, clear just does no have any pigment in it. If you like to color sand and buff your paint job to get all the orange peel out, then you pretty much have to use BC/CC for metallic colors. Color sanding on metallic paint will make the paint "ring" and "tiger stripe" you need the clear layer on top to sand without disturbing the metallic pattern. Solid colors can be color sanded without worries, and single stage is just plain easier to touch up. Of course, solid colors are easier to touch up than metallic.

Regards, John McGraw

Is Silver paint color hard to do? Looks great on a C2 Corvette though.

dplotkin 01-17-2018 09:43 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by CorvetteMikeB (Post 1596392861)

As said above, metallic paint really needs to be BC/CC to protect the flake from cutting & buff. Single stage with solid colors on old cars look authentic, as I said earlier. Black especially looks better in single stage.

Here is my silver Corvette with PPG BC/CC (its probably a bit darker than it should be but I like it.

And here is my 61 Plymouth single stage Glasurit urethane. (This is an especially durable product).

Dan

68hemi 01-17-2018 01:58 PM

The only problem with metallic paint in single stage is that when you color sand it the metallic pieces will stick up through the skin of the paint that will allow air in to oxidize the paint. However if you keep it sealed with polish you will eliminate that. That is why you see so many neglected old cars with hazy looking paint that will "buff out." I don't have a problem with this but if you do, you can always shoot clear over you single stage enamel AFTER you get it looking the way you want it.

1snake 01-17-2018 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by CorvetteMikeB (Post 1596392861)

:iagree: The only issue with silver metallic can be blotchiness if not done correctly. A drop coat will eliminate that problem. Here's my 65 I shot with PPG Deltron BC and SPI clear.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...646a4b2c99.jpg

CorvetteMikeB 01-17-2018 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by 1snake (Post 1596396605)
:iagree: The only issue with silver metallic can be blotchiness if not done correctly. A drop coat will eliminate that problem. Here's my 65 I shot with PPG Deltron BC and SPI clear.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...646a4b2c99.jpg

Car looks very sharp! A good color for a C2 Corvette. I am surprised how many people do not install the passenger side door mirror on the car during restoration. Just a safety thing. Maybe people do not think about it.

Nowhere Man 01-17-2018 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by CorvetteMikeB (Post 1596396982)
Car looks very sharp! A good color for a C2 Corvette. I am surprised how many people do not install the passenger side door mirror on the car during restoration. Just a safety thing. Maybe people do not think about it.

The car made it 50 years without one. It can survive 50 more. I barely use the passinger side mirror on my new cars that have them.

GTOguy 01-17-2018 04:12 PM

I have had the exact opposite results. The single stage original paint on my 1983, never-been-garaged Toyota is still shiny and intact. The single stage applied on my '65 GTO in 1985 is still intact, shiny, and not peeling, and the single stage on my '67 GTO applied in 1993 still shines and is not peeling. The clear coat on my '94 4Runner failed in 15 years, the clearcoat on my '66 GTO failed in 10 years, the clearcoat on my '72 BMW MC failed in 10 years, and the average failure of clearcoat in my area is less than 10 years. And when clearcoat fails, it peels like sunburn. It looks HORRIBLE and can NOT be buffed out. I hate the stuff. When I paint a car, I want it to look good for longer than 12 years or so.

GTOguy 01-17-2018 04:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by 68hemi (Post 1596396421)
The only problem with metallic paint in single stage is that when you color sand it the metallic pieces will stick up through the skin of the paint that will allow air in to oxidize the paint. However if you keep it sealed with polish you will eliminate that. That is why you see so many neglected old cars with hazy looking paint that will "buff out." I don't have a problem with this but if you do, you can always shoot clear over you single stage enamel AFTER you get it looking the way you want it.

I color sanded this single stage in 1993...Flambeau Burgundy Metallic. No issues whatsoever. Looks like it was sprayed last year. Same with my Blue Charcoal Poly metallic '65....single stage and wet sanded more than 30 years ago. Still looks ok. No metal chunks sticking out through the paint on either car.....

68hemi 01-17-2018 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by GTOguy (Post 1596397450)
I have had the exact opposite results. The single stage original paint on my 1983, never-been-garaged Toyota is still shiny and intact. The single stage applied on my '65 GTO in 1985 is still intact, shiny, and not peeling, and the single stage on my '67 GTO applied in 1993 still shines and is not peeling. The clear coat on my '94 4Runner failed in 15 years, the clearcoat on my '66 GTO failed in 10 years, the clearcoat on my '72 BMW MC failed in 10 years, and the average failure of clearcoat in my area is less than 10 years. And when clearcoat fails, it peels like sunburn. It looks HORRIBLE and can NOT be buffed out. I hate the stuff. When I paint a car, I want it to look good for longer than 12 years or so.

:iagree: Same here in sunny AZ. most of the new cars with factory paint look like peeling sun burns after 10-15 years.

karkrafter 01-17-2018 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by GTOguy (Post 1596397471)
I color sanded this single stage in 1993...Flambeau Burgundy Metallic. No issues whatsoever. Looks like it was sprayed last year. Same with my Blue Charcoal Poly metallic '65....single stage and wet sanded more than 30 years ago. Still looks ok. No metal chunks sticking out through the paint on either car.....

Seems like I make a mess [sand/buff through] every time I try to sand and buff single stage metallic ...

Frankie the Fink 01-17-2018 06:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If you want anything close to the original look then single-stage is prob the best bet. My 63 was shot just before last Thanksgiving with single stage and, although it looks shiny as heck in the photos, has a sheen somewhat similar to lacquer if you stand beside it. The car also has the "knocked down" door jambs and hood areas as original...

CorvetteMikeB 01-17-2018 08:33 PM

[QUOTE=Frankie the Fink;1596398422]If you want anything close to the original look then single-stage is prob the best bet. My 63 was shot just before last Thanksgiving with single stage and, although it looks shiny as heck in the photos, has a sheen somewhat similar to lacquer if you stand beside it. The car also has the "knocked down" door jambs and hood areas as original...[/QUOTE

WOW! Nice paint job,

CorvetteMikeB 01-17-2018 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink (Post 1596398422)
If you want anything close to the original look then single-stage is prob the best bet. My 63 was shot just before last Thanksgiving with single stage and, although it looks shiny as heck in the photos, has a sheen somewhat similar to lacquer if you stand beside it. The car also has the "knocked down" door jambs and hood areas as original...

!964 Red. What color is the interior?

Nowhere Man 01-17-2018 08:37 PM

[QUOTE=CorvetteMikeB;1596399134]

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink (Post 1596398422)
If you want anything close to the original look then single-stage is prob the best bet. My 63 was shot just before last Thanksgiving with single stage and, although it looks shiny as heck in the photos, has a sheen somewhat similar to lacquer if you stand beside it. The car also has the "knocked down" door jambs and hood areas as original...[/QUOTE

WOW! Nice paint job,

you can post all the pictures you want on the internet and they all will look good. it takes the right light and right eye to see flaws. and age and and sun light will yield different looks:cheers: