CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Drag Racing (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/drag-racing-90/)
-   -   RIP Raceway Park - no more racing. (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/drag-racing/4090875-rip-raceway-park-no-more-racing.html)

Chevy Guy 01-17-2018 07:15 AM

RIP Raceway Park - no more racing.

Sad.

Bangshift has an article on raceway park renting out the track to copart for vehicle storage. The motocross operation is supposedly being expanded but racing is done there. The long time announcer also conformed this on facebook along with all the recently fired employees.

https://bangshift.com/bangshift1320/...ng-operations/

BangShift.com has learned that Raceway Park will cease racing operations in 2018. This is unhappy news to say the least. At this point our understanding is that there will not be a 2018 drag racing season at Raceway Park and an announcement regarding the track’s future, or lack thereof is forthcoming. In conversations with various parties close to the track’s operation we have learned that the Napp family who owns the facility has effectively leased some or all of the property to a company who plans to use it as some sort of vehicle storage area. We have not spoken directly to track ownership or management at this point but are confident with the information that we have gathered from those we have spoken to. We cannot speak to the other facets of the track (i.e. the motocross course, etc) but we can speak with a level of confidence that drag racing is over at one of the nation’s most well known and longest running facilities.

Pete2k_Z28 01-17-2018 08:42 AM

Another article. I don't see anything official I'm the local papers yet. That would certainly make news. Sad if it's true, I grew up in that area and have many memoires of Summer Nationals, Night of Thrills, and racing back in the early LS1 days.

https://thecapitalsportsreport.com/2...ng-operations/

YO-EL 01-17-2018 08:58 AM

sad but true

1 Attachment(s)
Ughhhhh :cry

Pete2k_Z28 01-17-2018 09:21 AM

:(:(:(

STEVEN13 01-17-2018 09:32 AM

I ran my car there this past November-What a shame:cry

Wicked Weasel 01-17-2018 09:37 AM

its official. posted on their facebook site :(:(

Old Bridge Township Raceway Park, the Napp family owned and operated business announced today a reorganization of the company’s business operations. To achieve this goal, Raceway Park will no longer conduct quarter mile or eighth mile drag racing events effective immediately. Raceway Park will retain and use the “stadium” portion of the facility including the VIP hospitality tower and grandstands and continue most of its operations including the spring and fall auto swap meets, numerous car shows, both motocross racing and practice, kart racing, as well as drifting, a full schedule of road course activities, mud runs, monster truck shows, musical concerts, & festival events and more. The long standing Old Bridge Township Airport, owned and operated by Raceway Park will also continue to operate as normal.

The new reorganization reflects the company’s plan moving forward beginning in 2018 while allowing Raceway Park to still continue to operate as it has in the past with the exception of drag racing. The Napp family wishes to express their most sincere gratitude to the NHRA, and the many thousands of racers and fans, without whom would have never allowed Raceway Park to become the iconic and nationally recognized drag racing facility it has over the past five decades.

The Napp family would also like to extend a heartfelt thank you to the employees that have served our drag racing customers so well over the previous years. It is with a great sadness that the Napp family is discontinuing drag racing, however the family looks forward to continuing to provide the best outdoor events in this new era of Raceway Park.

Eric Fischer 01-17-2018 11:27 AM

Very sad news indeed. I have been going there my whole life and even chose the home that I am in now because it is close to Raceway Park.

hookedup 01-17-2018 01:15 PM

RIP Etown, you will be missed

4DRUSH 01-17-2018 01:26 PM

I'm up for a Farewell party, :cheers:

Anyone else ?

Chevy Guy 01-17-2018 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by 4DRUSH (Post 1596396205)
I'm up for a Farewell party, :cheers:

Anyone else ?

Looks like we wont even get a chance, all racing is cancelled effective immediately.

4DRUSH 01-17-2018 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Chevy Guy (Post 1596396300)
Looks like we wont even get a chance, all racing is cancelled effective immediately.

Not sure who you are, but thanks for the reply.

Made me laugh out loud, probably will all day. :lol:

bmans vette 01-17-2018 02:05 PM

Ouch! Only place I ever drag raced at when I was much younger.
A long time institution.

RIP Raceway Park :salute:

YO-EL 01-17-2018 02:20 PM

And with that announcement, I have no use for my car, (C5), and it's offered for sale at a significant price drop, including EFI Live tuning software and CCW wheels. PM me if interested.

NJ_phil 01-17-2018 02:41 PM

End of an era. My first time there was back in the 60s.

Hope everyone will move over to ATCO and leave us Island ghetto racers alone.

L79racer 01-17-2018 02:49 PM

What a shame. I guess it atco, lebanon valley and maybe cecil for us long island guys. I never ran at Island so might have to give it a try.

DblTrbl 01-17-2018 03:00 PM

Wonder if it was too many noise complaints from the neighbors who moved in decades after the track opened.

Mike Campbell 01-17-2018 03:19 PM

It's a very sad day and they had one of the best strips in the country? Glad I'm in Florida now. :toetap:

zone69 01-17-2018 05:39 PM

I've spent the last 3 years going to test and tunes on Wednesday night always enjoy watching this past Oct i purchase a C5 and had a blast going down the quarter mile only made 7 passes enjoyed every1 of them, going to miss it :flag:

C5 Pete 01-17-2018 06:46 PM

Sad but true... haven’t raced there in a couple years, but was actually planning to race Super Gas at the Summer Nationals. Oh well...

RichS 01-17-2018 07:19 PM

Haven't raced there since they went to Sundays, But hoped they would go back. Met so many great people there over the years. Shame to see it go!