CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   So I live in Texas... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/4090964-so-i-live-in-texas.html)

Houston07Vette 01-17-2018 11:44 AM

So I live in Texas...

Its really cold here (high of 26 low if 19)We have no idea what cold is in Houston. I think its like 30... Anyways, when I started up my 2007 A6, it took half a second longer then normal. Everything sounds and looks fine. Belt is spinning, no knocking that I can hear from the engine. Fluids heated up slowly, but all got to temperature in expected times. No overheating.

Now for whatever reason my check engine light is on. I had this car over a year and have yet to see the dreaded check engine light. Could this be a result of a random winter storm coming through, icing up our roads to undriveable standards, and freezing up a sensor? I did not drive it, simply started it, (trans temp was at 23 degrees) and let it run for 15 minutes to defrost windows, clear ice off of hood and do its cycle. I killed the engine and restarted the car... still shows the light. Thoughts?

No I cannot take it to an auto parts store atm for a diagnosis, I refuse to drive in the conditions my street was left in.

J3TVETTE 01-17-2018 11:59 AM

My recommendation is purchasing one of these just to have. Its a great tool

Turbo6TA 01-17-2018 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Houston07Vette (Post 1596395450)

No I cannot take it to an auto parts store atm for a diagnosis, I refuse to drive in the conditions my street was left in.

Well then ... You are going to have to wait until it warms up and you can drive it somewhere to find out what codes are set.

We can't diagnose a check engine light here if that's all that you have ... could be anything.

Houston07Vette 01-17-2018 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA (Post 1596395590)
Well then ... You are going to have to wait until it warms up and you can drive it somewhere to find out what codes are set.

We can't diagnose a check engine light here if that's all that you have ... could be anything.

I am aware it can be anything. I do plan on diagnosing it professionally. My question is if its possible for the engine light to occur under cold weather conditions like this.

Turbo6TA 01-17-2018 12:40 PM

I can't see it being normal for cold weather operation ... There are some folks starting there C6s up north in much colder weather than you have there in South Texas.

cadyshac 01-17-2018 12:46 PM

I saw a guy driving a C7 here yesterday, it was 10 degrees.

Flash_Gordon 01-17-2018 01:23 PM

At least yours started. Mine won't start. Tried to use my Stanley Jump starter, but it keeps saying it doesn't recognize my fob now... Cold weather sucks.

itomh 01-17-2018 01:23 PM

Can't be just due to weather. I start mine up a couple times over this winter (Indiana) and we have been getting -10 and I have not been getting any check engine lights due to weather.

irok 01-17-2018 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Houston07Vette (Post 1596395601)
I am aware it can be anything. I do plan on diagnosing it professionally. My question is if its possible for the engine light to occur under cold weather conditions like this.

the cold weather should not really set a check engine light.had to start mine a few years ago at -40F.no cel

Houston07Vette 01-17-2018 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by CMY SIX (Post 1596395960)
did you even check the gas cap or anything, then you want to argue, sell the car by a VW you'll be happier, OMG the car took a half second longer to start. no wonder Obama won.

Lol so being concerned over the weather affecting my vehicle means I hate the car? Really hoping this is sarcasm. Love the Corvette, been relatively problem free for a while, I don't understand why people don't just give a yes, no or maybe on here to simple question. "Does cold weather create a check engine light for C6 Corvettes." It wasn't a question on rocket science, but a question for (what I'm assuming) a group of knowledgeable long-time Corvette owners could answer in like 5 seconds. Jesus lol.

Houston07Vette 01-17-2018 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by itomh (Post 1596396174)
Can't be just due to weather. I start mine up a couple times over this winter (Indiana) and we have been getting -10 and I have not been getting any check engine lights due to weather.

Okay, thank you this is pretty much the answer to the entire question. I appreciate you sir!

jkirk1 01-17-2018 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Houston07Vette (Post 1596395450)
Its really cold here (high of 26 low if 19)We have no idea what cold is in Houston. I think its like 30... Anyways, when I started up my 2007 A6, it took half a second longer then normal. Everything sounds and looks fine. Belt is spinning, no knocking that I can hear from the engine. Fluids heated up slowly, but all got to temperature in expected times. No overheating.

Now for whatever reason my check engine light is on. I had this car over a year and have yet to see the dreaded check engine light. Could this be a result of a random winter storm coming through, icing up our roads to undriveable standards, and freezing up a sensor? I did not drive it, simply started it, (trans temp was at 23 degrees) and let it run for 15 minutes to defrost windows, clear ice off of hood and do its cycle. I killed the engine and restarted the car... still shows the light. Thoughts?

I'm no mechanic, but can assure you that I have started mine in very cold weather with no check engine light.

LowRyter 01-17-2018 02:16 PM

go to the Autoparts store and let them run the codes.

I drove mine last night in single digits, no problem.

BTW my CEL has been on for several weeks due to false EVAP code. I usually just discount the battery to clear it.

orca1946 01-17-2018 02:21 PM

Can't be cold --- I drove mine in much colder conditions than that. Look further into the O B D

WKM 01-17-2018 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Flash_08CRMVert (Post 1596396171)
At least yours started. Mine won't start. Tried to use my Stanley Jump starter, but it keeps saying it doesn't recognize my fob now... Cold weather sucks.

There is a procedure in the OM for that

Flash_Gordon 01-17-2018 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by WKM (Post 1596396620)
There is a procedure in the OM for that

Yeah, about 5 minutes after my post I was able to get it started. Cold weather must've caused a brain freeze, because I totally forgot about the glove box fix.

Houston07Vette 01-17-2018 02:54 PM

Update:
Temperature is at 30 and ice is melting away. Took the car for a drive and the light went off before I could make it to O'reilly. SOL, cant check the old history of codes now. This guy leaving told me he could check it though as he has one that can look through the history of codes and pinpoint the problem. But since its off, he said if the car hasn't been tuned then its probably just the 02 sensors. They tripped when the weather dropped by over 40 degrees and the car sat for over a day.

Long story short, my headache is gone. I will get him to run codes tomorrow for me when I am off work, but that seems to be the problem since I don't think the light would of just turned itself off without me doing anything differently.

jrose7004 01-17-2018 02:55 PM

Sometimes you can shut it off and restart it and the light will be gone.

Torchsport 01-17-2018 03:03 PM

Low of 19 is cold...How cute. :rofl:

C6KWJ 01-17-2018 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Houston07Vette (Post 1596395601)

To answer your question no cold weather does not affect your check engine light.