CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Other Cars (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/other-cars-24/)
-   -   KIA Stinger (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/other-cars/4091465-kia-stinger.html)

Velocity_Vette 01-18-2018 03:56 PM

KIA Stinger

Anyone bought one yet?

I went by and looked at a few for a short while. My local two KIA dealers, owned by the same company, are trying to push the GT2 top trim for near $60,000!! They've been on the lot since receiving them (been keeping an eye on the stock numbers). The lowest priced example they currently have is pushing $40,000 but it's the four cylinder with near bare bones options. The only way to get into one that's not white, silver, or black is to get near $42,000 for a higher trim.

It's a bold car for KIA but I'm just afraid it's pricing itself out for it's intended market. I do like the looks of it quite a bit and it's actually a five door sedan hatch which is very intriguing (similar to the Tesla Model S) for the versatility aspect in this class.

MVR 155 01-18-2018 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Velocity_Vette (Post 1596404238)
Anyone bought one yet?

I went by and looked at a few for a short while. My local two KIA dealers, owned by the same company, are trying to push the GT2 top trim for near $60,000!! They've been on the lot since receiving them (been keeping an eye on the stock numbers). The lowest priced example they currently have is pushing $40,000 but it's the four cylinder with near bare bones options. The only way to get into one that's not white, silver, or black is to get near $42,000 for a higher trim.

It's a bold car for KIA but I'm just afraid it's pricing itself out for it's intended market. I do like the looks of it quite a bit and it's actually a five door sedan hatch which is very intriguing (similar to the Tesla Model S) for the versatility aspect in this class.

The numbers on the car are pretty good..... 4.4 seconds to 60mph, 12.9@110mph 1/4 mile, .93g's on the skidpad and decent braking (the exact figure escapes my mind as I type this). The tests I read do say the car gets unbalanced and begins to fray at the limits, they also go onto read that it's not really on par with some of the luxury competitors from a material and interior noise level standpoint. At $60K it's not a bargain and isn't likely going to get people to leave Audi, BMW and Benz. You can get a very loaded up S4/S5 sportback for that kind of money!!! I love the direction that Kia and Hyundai are moving, their cars have improved tremendously!! Competition always puts the consumer in a better position.

Velocity_Vette 01-18-2018 06:17 PM

That's the other thing I've continuously said about the car when I read the prices for trims & options; if the car's target market is to take sales away from the Euro sedan/grand tourer market then when examples get near those prices what stops people from simply going to Audi, BMW, Merc, etc and buying the very cars that are already established in these segments? Even on the lower end of the Stinger trim spectrum those prices can easily get you into entry level models for the aforementioned marques, and there are plenty whom are driven by brand identify to pay $40K to get into a base CLA.

You'd have to REALLY want a conversation piece at your local cars & coffee to justify a $60K KIA, but you'd for sure have something not a lot of people are going to have.

Snowwolfe 01-18-2018 06:22 PM

GM had a tough time moving out the SS for $40K a pop after a 20% off sale. Same basic performance as the Stinger except with the LS3 V8. I just don't see many buyers for the Stinger in the upper $50K range.

MVR 155 01-18-2018 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Velocity_Vette (Post 1596405181)
That's the other thing I've continuously said about the car when I read the prices for trims & options; if the car's target market is to take sales away from the Euro sedan/grand tourer market then when examples get near those prices what stops people from simply going to Audi, BMW, Merc, etc and buying the very cars that are already established in these segments? Even on the lower end of the Stinger trim spectrum those prices can easily get you into entry level models for the aforementioned marques, and there are plenty whom are driven by brand identify to pay $40K to get into a base CLA.

You'd have to REALLY want a conversation piece at your local cars & coffee to justify a $60K KIA, but you'd for sure have something not a lot of people are going to have.

Originally Posted by Snowwolfe (Post 1596405223)
GM had a tough time moving out the SS for $40K a pop after a 20% off sale. Same basic performance as the Stinger except with the LS3 V8. I just don't see many buyers for the Stinger in the upper $50K range.

You guys are hitting the nail square on the head...... While I love to see the forward progress of the Korean brands breeding competition, it needs to be offered at a substantial discount to get a loyal consumer to cross a line/jump ship. While any new car is going to take a big hit in terms of depreciation, the Korean brands take a significant one. I would expect the Stinger to be a bargain on the secondary market in a couple of years.

FAUEE 01-18-2018 10:06 PM

The numbers don' add up either. I think the press cars were ringers, with far more ho than owners will get. If you want to beat the Germans, may as well cheat like they do too I guess?

silversport 01-19-2018 08:04 AM

GM sold all the Chevrolet SS sedans they wanted to sell...satisfied their agreements with Holden and moved on...

Bill

Snowwolfe 01-19-2018 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by FAUEE (Post 1596406528)
The numbers don' add up either. I think the press cars were ringers, with far more ho than owners will get. If you want to beat the Germans, may as well cheat like they do too I guess?

Exactly. The top end model weighs in at roughly 4,000 pounds and has 365 HP/376 Torque. That doesnt equate to a 4.4 sprint to 60 or the 1/4 in 12.9

Gary '09 C6 01-19-2018 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Snowwolfe (Post 1596405223)

:iagree: even $40K or more for a KIA car is insane, IMO...this has the makings of a big time product failure due to poor price-point / marketing niche...despite the performance metrics.

MRANT212 01-19-2018 10:35 PM

I'm impressed that Kia developed a car like this. The price point is out of whack for what the market is. Has decent looks and performance it's just that at 50-60k you're entering a space where there's other cars in that category to choose from. I have an SS and would rather have that over the Stinger.

92mr2turbo 01-20-2018 07:34 PM

I would look at the infiniti Q50 or Q60 Redsport 400 v.s. the Kia.

White Out 01-21-2018 03:57 PM

The head of this car's development was the head of BMW M division. It is more than just another Kia. My friends' built the drift cars for SEMA and the Stinger had me impressed (inside, out and underneath).

Plus, they sound great with straight pipes.

Mikeceli 01-29-2018 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by MRANT212 (Post 1596412874)
I....................................... ..... I have an SS and would rather have that over the Stinger.

Why?

Mikeceli 01-29-2018 01:23 AM

I drove 2 Stinger GT2's 365HP V6, last week. I really like the looks, power, handling,equipment.

Interesting. I too think discounts will be forthcoming.

Chicago1 01-31-2018 08:14 PM

50k for a Kia?!?! lol ummmm no thank you

sublime1996525 02-01-2018 10:49 AM

I'd look at the Genesis G80 Sport.

Snowwolfe 02-01-2018 11:16 AM

If you are simply comparing performance and features the SS at $40K compared to a upper $50's Stinger..........the SS is a hands down winner.
SS includes for no charge:
LS3 V8
Auto or 6M
3 position magnetic ride control
Dual zone climate control
2 position memory seats
Leather and suede interior
Blind spot monitoring
HUD
Lane avoidance monitoring

And the best feature (for me anyway) is very few know what they are or what they can do. I know I sound like a broken record when it comes to the SS but this car brought back driving excitement to me I haven't felt since my first Corvette (C5). Tap the traction control button and give it half throttle and the rear tires will light up your smile and the handling is off the chart excellent.

Mikeceli 02-02-2018 08:20 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0YVbVXOjJv4" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SLO VETTE 02-02-2018 01:55 PM

what a great ad!

and man, does steven tyler look like he's been there, done that. twice.

Originally Posted by Mikeceli (Post 1596505553)
https://youtu.be/0YVbVXOjJv4?t=5

https://youtu.be/0YVbVXOjJv4

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0YVbVXOjJv4" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mikeceli 02-04-2018 08:54 PM

I road tested the Stinger GT2, several times.

Excellent acceleration, brakes, handling, I like everything about the car. Wife and I drove the red one. It got lots of looks from peds around town.

Unfortunately, I am no longer comfortable in a bolstered, firmly padded sport seat.