CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Removing hardtop (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/4092456-removing-hardtop.html)

Rogillio 01-21-2018 02:41 PM

Removing hardtop

Rookie question time. 2009 base Vette with removable hardtop. I’ve only had it a month and today was the first I even thought about taking the top off and it is a beautiful day. Any tips/suggestions? Is it a two person job or can I do it myself?

EVRose 01-21-2018 02:51 PM

FatsWaller 01-21-2018 03:02 PM

It's sure easier with 2 people. If you drop it on the pavement, you'll chip the paint (or worse). Could I suggest that you get a helper for the first few attempts and learn how to stow it in the back first? Once the two of you have it out, you can go to some grassy area and single-hand it just to get a feel for its weight and awkwardness. If you drop it on the grass, it probably won't get hurt.

But then again, I tend to wear a belt and suspenders:rock:

jrose7004 01-21-2018 03:06 PM

To me top removal is strictly a one man job.

Corvette_Ed 01-21-2018 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by jrose7004 (Post 1596422603)
To me top removal is strictly a one man job.

:iagree: Undo the latches, lift up the front and hold with one hand, then slide the pins on the back out of their sockets enough to get the other hand on that side, then pull and lift. It's not all that hard to do.

Just remember to secure the latches when you put it back on to avoid becoming a member of the FRC (Flying Roof Club).

Bruze 01-21-2018 03:18 PM

After a few times it becomes routine. Easy for one person, if you're careful.

Hint: If you tend to be "thin" on the top, be sure to always carry a hat in the car. :eek:

Dano523 01-21-2018 03:24 PM

Stick a pair of gloves in the back cuby.

In the summer time, the roof gets hot a hell, and easy to loose it when it starts to burn your hands as you are taking it off.

S.C. vette 01-21-2018 03:38 PM

2 people, it’s not a cupcake!

Bruze 01-21-2018 03:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by S.C. vette (Post 1596422798)
2 people, it’s not a cupcake!

Only if you're a weakling or a small-ish member of the fairer sex. Attachment 48336956

Rogillio 01-21-2018 04:14 PM

Tips on stowing? It goes topside up? Right?

HBsurfer 01-21-2018 04:16 PM

Top side up and front pointing forward. Stows in the rear area same orientation as when installed in the top.

Easily done by one person

cadyshac 01-21-2018 04:20 PM

As already said, gloves for hot sunny day is a good idea. I have no problem doing it by myself, practice makes perfect.

HOXXOH 01-21-2018 04:37 PM

IIRC, the top has only been off 1 time after the first year. I had just cleaned the car and thought it'd be cool for a quick drive down the freeway. Big mistake. Just because you vacuumed the carpet, doesn't mean that all the crap is gone. :ack:

R&L's C6 01-21-2018 04:41 PM

Do not do it in the garage. I have read too many posts where someone has hit their garage door or garage door opener in the process.

DLove25 01-21-2018 05:05 PM

easy

Originally Posted by Rogillio (Post 1596422444)
Rookie question time. 2009 base Vette with removable hardtop. I’ve only had it a month and today was the first I even thought about taking the top off and it is a beautiful day. Any tips/suggestions? Is it a two person job or can I do it myself?

I remove and replace my top regularly. Much more fun with it off, but not at freeway speeds. Anything over about 50 and the wind buffeting is noticeable.

Easier to do with 2 people, but not at all difficult by yourself. Just be aware of the bulkiness. It's not heavy, but it is awkward. Release the latches, 2 front, one rear. Lift up the front, move it forward slightly to clear the rear pins and lift it up. Snaps cleanly into place in the rear hatch.

Note-Open the rear hatch BEFORE removing the top. Then you can just move to the back and place the top inside.

Always remove and replace the top in an open area, not inside the garage, around other cars etc. it's very easy to bang the top into something or even into your own can. Watch out for the open hatch lid.

Place the front of the top into the hooks toward the front of your hatch, then press down the rear of the top to snap into place. Very secure.

If you have a Removable top, don't be afraid to use it!

LowRyter 01-21-2018 06:26 PM

The easiest way to remove the top by one person is to pull it down from inside the car and tilt it toward the back of the seat. Get of the car while sliding the top over your head. Once out of the car, you can slide it out of the open door and get a handle on it the towards the center to balance it.

Then you can carry it to hatch.

tsmart 01-21-2018 07:38 PM

Watch out for your belt buckle. Ask me how i know.:mad:

hrt vlv 01-21-2018 08:03 PM

Only had it out twice. To noisey with top out. Especially over 50.If you do take it out experiment with putting windows up partway to cut down on buffeting.

Corvette_Ed 01-21-2018 08:32 PM

Wow, I can't believe how many people with coupes don't want to use their targa tops. When I had mine I had my top every chance I could find, and it didn't matter where I was going or what speed I was driving. I loved every second!

odd 01-21-2018 09:12 PM

yeah might as well put it to use, maybe some people don't have the weather for it :)