CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   How many of you change the oil yourself? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/4092506-how-many-of-you-change-the-oil-yourself.html)

Velocity_Vette 01-23-2018 10:49 AM

I do it myself. It's faster than going somewhere and cheaper.

It's also pretty easy without a lift. Raise the rear of the car, remove oil pan bolt and filter, lower car back down (C5s need to be near level for proper oil drain), let drain into a slim pan, raise back up, re-install, fill up crankcase, done. What takes the most time is waiting for all the oil to drain. Usually do a chore in the garage or drink another beer.

socal_Dad 01-23-2018 11:32 AM

I change my own and do all maintenance and repairs myself. With 4 cars, there is always something to do. I keep a list of the required filters and whenever we need to buy something on Amazon and don't have quite enough to get free shipping, I just add in an oil filter or two! I always have filters and oil on hand and the changes are super easy.

When my daughter gets her license in the next year that will bring it up to 5 vehicles. I like working on them all and keeping them nice.

Red Dwarf 01-23-2018 11:58 AM

At may age, ain't no way. :ack:

FX VETTE 01-23-2018 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Red Dwarf (Post 1596435492)
At may age, ain't no way. :ack:

At least you have a badass avatar, so you’ve got that going for you :rock:

captaineddie 01-23-2018 03:52 PM

I have more metal in my neck than is probably in the entire car. I let somebody else do the crawling and straining.

mike48750 01-23-2018 07:37 PM

I do all my own maintenance except alignments. I don't know anyone else I would trust. Mike

Widgeon5 01-23-2018 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by AE Guy (Post 1596423283)
My Corvette friends seem to freak out every time they find out that I change the oil/filter on my C5 by myself. It’s still a car and actually IMO it’s really pretty easy to work on.

I am not a mechanic by any means, but I can follow instructions and am not afraid to take tasks such as these especially when I know they’ll be done right and I can save a few bucks.

So I am curious, how many C5 owners do their own maintenance and how many leave their fate to garages/stealerships?

Yes, do it myself. I let it drain for a couple hours or maybe overnight. The funnel I use is scrupulously clean and I know I'm getting real Mobil1. (Bought on sale during the rebate periods.) It doesn't get overfilled or underfilled. Have a full height lift which makes it easy. With the Corvette and other family cars I make a trip to recycling once a year with 25-30 gallons of used oil.

Brackets 01-23-2018 09:26 PM

Always, and it has nothing to do with $$$.

DaBoz 01-23-2018 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by jrprich (Post 1596423442)
I used to for perhaps 45 years of cars.
But after three back surgeries, I found a local shop that charges me $20.
I bring my own oil and filter, the owner and manager know me well and respect my Vette.

I did mine up until I f*cked up my back a few years ago... now do the same. I bring my own everything and watch closely and pay $22.

pjdbm 01-23-2018 09:46 PM

I doubt the quick lube places fill the filter up with fresh oil before installing, or raise the back up more than an inch to get all the oil out. There are a few things that just doesn't get done that you would do if you take the car to be serviced.

Kingtal0n 01-23-2018 10:26 PM

Newer engines, especially after 1998, have increasingly small orifices. It is more important than ever to use high quality filters.

The issue with changing oil, there is a chance for contamination, dirt and filth can enter the engine when the plugs/caps are removed. If the service tech does not fully clean and wipe all areas involved with liquid transfer for example.

All it takes is little dirt to ruin an engine. Plug an orifice and you might not find out for 5k miles by which time the block could be trash. I just consider worst case scenarios. If the engine does fail, at least if you did the oil changes yourself, you know it wasn't because somebody poisoned the engine some years ago.

JR-01 01-24-2018 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by pjdbm (Post 1596439670)
I doubt the quick lube places fill the filter up with fresh oil before installing, or raise the back up more than an inch to get all the oil out. There are a few things that just doesn't get done that you would do if you take the car to be serviced.

I will never use quick oil change places again. Years ago I had my oil changed in my truck at a Quickie lube. When I got home I noticed a trail of oil. They had forgot to put the differential plug back in. I called them and he said "Yep, the plug is sitting right here on the bench". He blamed it on the fact that they were training in a new guy and said they would give me a free oil change. I asked what happens if my differential fails in the future?
All he said was "No problem". Right.
Luckily I did not drive it far, noticed it right away and the case did not go dry, otherwise it would have been a real mess.
Quick oil change places do not have the most highly skilled employees and I will never trust them again.

MikeG37 01-24-2018 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by capevettes (Post 1596426582)
Mike, i like that alot :thumbs: I keep separate books on my cars but it would be nice to see a maintenance chart all together like that in the garage.
Where can I get one of those?

Not sure where you could buy one, the big auction site probably has them from time to time. We have a store and the vendors occasionally have cool stuff like that they'll give me.

Cryptoboy 01-24-2018 10:45 AM

I haven't had my Vette long enough to decide yet! I need a new jack - the one I had for the 74 won't fit under the 02.

My biggest issue is the disposal - how do people dispose of the old oil and filter?

leadfoot4 01-24-2018 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Cryptoboy (Post 1596442003)
I haven't had my Vette long enough to decide yet! I need a new jack - the one I had for the 74 won't fit under the 02.

My biggest issue is the disposal - how do people dispose of the old oil and filter?

In NY state, any retailer that sells oil, is required to accept the used oil, for recycle. If you can't do that, there are options...many "highway Department garages, use a waste oil furnace to heat their buildings in the winter. Many of them will accept used oil from their residents.

One of my friends has a Midas Muffler franchise, and he has a waste oil furnace. Usually near the end of winter, especially a really cold one, like we had this year, he's gladly accepting used oil so he can keep the shop warm.

With respect to old filters, I used to work part-time, for the area's Advance Auto Parts store. We were located in a "strip plaza", next door to a GoodYear service store. The GY store had a small "dumpster bin" just for old oil filters, which was located outside the rear of the shop. I used to toss my used ones in there.....

johnson-rod 01-24-2018 11:19 AM

No one ever touches my cars.

Cryptoboy 01-24-2018 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by leadfoot4 (Post 1596442219)
In NY state, any retailer that sells oil, is required to accept the used oil, for recycle. If you can't do that, there are options...many "highway Department garages, use a waste oil furnace to heat their buildings in the winter. Many of them will accept used oil from their residents.

One of my friends has a Midas Muffler franchise, and he has a waste oil furnace. Usually near the end of winter, especially a really cold one, like we had this year, he's gladly accepting used oil so he can keep the shop warm.

With respect to old filters, I used to work part-time, for the area's Advance Auto Parts store. We were located in a "strip plaza", next door to a GoodYear service store. The GY store had a small "dumpster bin" just for old oil filters, which was located outside the rear of the shop. I used to toss my used ones in there.....

What's a furnace? :rofl: (AZ here - I haven't turned the heat on once yet!)

Good ideas - I'll need to take a look.

JasonAndrew 01-24-2018 11:46 AM

:iagree:

Originally Posted by lewislgZ06 (Post 1596424075)
I do my own oil changes and everything else that I have the tools and capability to.

Cryptoboy 01-24-2018 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7 (Post 1596442431)
Bet you can't say that about the Swamp Cooler/AC come July!!!! :eek:

True. Luckily I have solar so my bills aren't out the roof (so to speak).

radar502 01-24-2018 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by johnson-rod (Post 1596442258)
No one ever touches my cars.

Mine either . My 04 sees 150 + MPH at times ,yes on the track , I don't want to be thinking if the last YA-HOO who worked on it forget to tighten something up .. I am the only YA-HOO that works on it ,way too much money in any for my Corvettes to let someone but there hands on them .. I have tools and the knowhow and be working on vettes for well long time many years ..