CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   F-Body General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/f-body-general-discussion-80/)
-   -   Camaro SS rental car. (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/f-body-general-discussion/4094316-camaro-ss-rental-car.html)

Katie22 01-26-2018 08:43 AM

Camaro SS rental car.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...b656055273.jpg
Hi all. Recently we flew up to Detroit and got a rental car which was a Camaro SS 2016 base trim. I dont know if it had the mag ride.

We drove that car down to Dayton and then back up to Detroit and traded it in for a different car (Camry) for the duration of our vacation.

I and my guy were stunned at how TERRIBLE that Camaro rode. I have been in a ton of vehicles and this was one of the worse riding cars. It made my 16 or 06 Vets feel like they ride on clouds.

Chevy why are you offering a car that rides so rough?

Katie

jrose7004 01-26-2018 09:05 AM

Don't know what this has to do with C6's but?

Katie22 01-26-2018 09:28 AM

Well I have a C6 Corvette and its my little rant considering I am aware of HOW NICE a C6 and C7 and C4 and C5 Corvettes ride. Crap i have even driven a Z06 and set the suspension on race setting and would say it rode a bit better than this Camaro.

Perhaps a Chevy employee will read the post and give it some consideration.

jbc1995fb 01-26-2018 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Katie22 (Post 1596455227)
Well I have a C6 Corvette and its my little rant considering I am aware of HOW NICE a C6 and C7 and C4 and C5 Corvettes ride. Crap i have even driven a Z06 and set the suspension on race setting and would say it rode a bit better than this Camaro.

Perhaps a Chevy employee will read the post and give it some consideration.

While I appreciate that you have a C6, a rant about a Camaro in the C6 general will not get noticed by any GM employee.

This post has as much business here as in the C4, C5, or C7 sections since you brought up other generations of corvettes.

I suppose I could start a thread about an Chevy Avalanche in here because I too have a C6. hopefully you see my point.

I only opened this thread to say that there's a section for other cars for a reason.

Sorry, now my little rant is over.

dmk0210 01-26-2018 10:16 AM

Since we're comparing cars, other than the ride quality how was the steering feel and performance of the Camaro vs the C6?

I'm surprised they had an SS for rental vs a V6 Camaro.

farmington 01-26-2018 10:31 AM

havent personally driven a 16ss, BUT cars up here do ride rougher in really cold weather coupled with our crappy roads. the 3 week stretch of temps in the teens has caused a lot of rough, washboard like roads.

Katie22 01-26-2018 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by dmk0210 (Post 1596455601)
Since we're comparing cars, other than the ride quality how was the steering feel and performance of the Camaro vs the C6?

I'm surprised they had an SS for rental vs a V6 Camaro.

The steering was totally ok. IT was just like the c7 corvette where it is linked to the mode switch so you can make it soft or stiff at turning the wheel. Transmission was pretty nice feeling on the paddle shifters. The power was wonderful but did feel like it was too much for the tires on the car but of course it was cold so that might be one of the factors. The instrument panel was pretty nice having a screen just like the c7 corvette between the gauges that has some degree of adjustment. I ended up with the gauges display. I did not push the car very much because as I said it was cold and the tires didnt seem to have a lot of grip in the cold. I would suggest thought that by the stiff ride if the tires did have some grip it would be nice in the autocross.

I thought the interior left a lot to be desired but remember it was the base trim for the ss. I recently sat in a ZL1 (think I have that correct) and it didnt feel bad at all.

I just was very surprised by the rough ride.

rbartick 01-28-2018 02:13 PM

I rented a 1SS in Florida a few months ago and I completely disagree with the OP. The ride was comfortable.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...a5485de68e.jpg

Katie22 01-28-2018 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by rbartick (Post 1596469907)
I rented a 1SS in Florida a few months ago and I completely disagree with the OP. The ride was comfortable.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...a5485de68e.jpg

Did the one you rented have the magnetic shocks? The one we had did not. Was yours a 2016? I can only report what I experienced.

rbartick 01-28-2018 04:23 PM

My rental was a 2018 1SS, no mag shocks, no performance exhaust. It had 200 miles on it at the time of rental and the ride was very nice. It was so nice that I've been thinking about picking one for use as a daily driver.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...5f545268ae.jpg

dmk0210 01-29-2018 07:12 AM

These come with summer tires, don't they? I'm surprised the rental places would rent these in snowy conditions, with liability and all what it is today.

I bet that contributed to the harsh ride some. Cold temps really do stiffen up some summer tires.

Originally Posted by Katie22 (Post 1596455817)
The steering was totally ok. IT was just like the c7 corvette where it is linked to the mode switch so you can make it soft or stiff at turning the wheel. Transmission was pretty nice feeling on the paddle shifters. The power was wonderful but did feel like it was too much for the tires on the car but of course it was cold so that might be one of the factors. The instrument panel was pretty nice having a screen just like the c7 corvette between the gauges that has some degree of adjustment. I ended up with the gauges display. I did not push the car very much because as I said it was cold and the tires didnt seem to have a lot of grip in the cold. I would suggest thought that by the stiff ride if the tires did have some grip it would be nice in the autocross.

I thought the interior left a lot to be desired but remember it was the base trim for the ss. I recently sat in a ZL1 (think I have that correct) and it didnt feel bad at all.

I just was very surprised by the rough ride.

Katie22 01-29-2018 07:19 AM

You made me smile. MY guy and I flew up from Florida to Detroit to go to the auto show and the air force museum. We got the rental car and to our surprise it had a Florida license plate. You can prolly see it in the picture.

You might be onto something. I have a friend here in Florida with a 2014 Camaro SS base trim (previous model) and it rides firm but not bad. This car rode like REALLY bad and you saying the tires get hard in the cold makes total sense.

Again I only wrote the post because I and my guy were totally shocked at how terrible the ride was in the car when we had it.

rbartick 01-29-2018 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by dmk0210 (Post 1596474089)
These come with summer tires, don't they?

Yes. Goodyear EagleŽ F1 Asymmetric Run Flats, summer only.

Katie22 01-29-2018 01:58 PM

You all are awesome. I learned something. I promise I wont take my cars NORTH if they have these sorts of tires on them. IT is NOT a good ride.

Katie

dmk0210 01-30-2018 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Katie22 (Post 1596474112)
We got the rental car and to our surprise it had a Florida license plate. You can prolly see it in the picture.

Wow, I didn't even notice that. I didn't really even look at the pictures.

Another thing that could have contributed to the ride is tire pressure. I rented a Taurus for a few weeks a while back and the tire pressure was like 45 psi, which was max pressure for the tire.

(Yes I'm OCD enough to check fluid levels and tire pressures on a rental car; I even washed it.)