CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Question for C7 owners without the MRC (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4097439-question-for-c7-owners-without-the-mrc.html)

ojm 02-02-2018 02:48 PM

Question for C7 owners without the MRC

How was the driving on daily street rides without the magnetic ride control?
..sorry have asked about before.

I have note test drived any c7 before, reason asking once in awhile they show up in colors I like. Just need a heads up before test drive hate to make impulse buys at these prices.

Not worried of resale and will buy the option just getting a better idea.

Rsaodom 02-02-2018 02:56 PM

I’ve owned a base C7, and then a Z51 ... both without MRC. The base had a very good touring ride. The Z51 was more sporty and you could feel the road more. My wife hated the Z51 as the base C7 was a lot more of a comfort ride. We compromised and now have a Z06 with MRC. It rides very good in touring mode which makes her happy. The base C7 without MRC is a lot softer ride than any of the performance optioned vettes.

Avanti 02-02-2018 02:56 PM

If you look at other, similar threads here you will see that like with ANY thing else opinions are all over the ballpark and often at opposite extremes. Hence, the solution for you might well be, if I may presume, to go test drive both and decide for yourself.

All the best!

Woodson 02-02-2018 02:57 PM

You should test drive. Many owners are fine without it but I wouldn't buy a C7 without it.

Patman 02-02-2018 03:22 PM

I love the idea of MSRC, it's a very sophisticated system that has a lot of benefits, but a lot of which are more for people that go to the track or at least drive very hard on the street.

When I ordered my 2018, I want to get it at the lowest price possible, so when determining which options to get, I decided not to get MSRC and save $2000. So far I'm very happy with my decision, especially now that I have the suspension lowered as far as it can go on the stock bolts. This stiffened up the ride ever so slightly but originally it was probably just a tick too soft, now it's perfect for my tastes.

But at the end of the day, it's a very personal decision, you need to drive a few different cars to decide on which configuration suits you best.

ojm 02-02-2018 03:30 PM

thank-you

Maxie2U 02-02-2018 03:38 PM

Full disclosure, I don’t have MRC. That said, I like the way my C7 handles and rides.

$$$frumnuttin' 02-02-2018 04:18 PM

I have it, and because of our schit roads in Michigan, it is mandatory. While driving I am very often switching modes based on the road conditions....we have everything from brand new asphalt to 'beyond repair' conditions where I live. I love track mode on smooth roads...I can get very comfortable on the schit roads...gotta have it, best invention since the internet! lol

almost forgot, do you have a bad back? huge factor in the decision!

JerryU 02-02-2018 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by ojm (Post 1596508772)

You can search and get lots of answer from folks who "would not drive without MRC!" I have had both and would not say that!

My 2014 C7 Z51 did not have MRC. My Grand Sport does- no choice.

I find it is just what Tadge said about ride softness early on (accept for the base which I have not driven.)

1) The base car has the softest ride. It should it has weaker springs, a small from sway bar and no rear bar. It has base 36 mm standard shocks.

2) The next is Z51 with MPC set at Touring (same as Grand Sport and Z06 but they were not around when he said it.)

3) The Z51 without MRC, just the stiff springs, very large front sway bar and a rear sway bar that the base car does not have. It also has 45 mm Bilstein shocks where the base car shocks are 36 mm. Drove that for 3 1/2 years and with are relatively good roads in Eastern SC the ride was fine for me. On the other hand my C6 was a Z51 without MRC and my '93 and '88 Vettes had HD suspension. See you live in CA so should be fine if no pot holes or wavy highways from trucks etc.

4) The next is a Z51 with MRC set at Sport. I can validate the Grand Sport set at Sport is stiffer than my non MRC Z51. I drive the Grand Sport mostly in Touring.

5) The stiffest is Z51 wih MRC set at Track. As someone said you can feel if going over a dime. I can validate that!

BOTTOM LINE
Depends what you are expecting. It's not a Cadillac! Ride is firm. If you're not going to push the car near it's limits get the base car.

If you get a Z51 or a Grand Sport (because you like the fat rear) then be prepared to change the bake pads as soon as you bring it home! I did and do push the car BUT don't track. I was cleaning my wheels every ~100 miles before I switched to ceramic pads. They not only looked bad from the excess dust, it was pitting my black wheels! I changed my Grand Sport brake pads as soon as I got it home! The base pads don't have that problem. You also have to learn how to check oil level in a dry sump. If you not every driving near the limit, you will be living with a stiffer ride for no reason, IMO!

ojm 02-02-2018 06:07 PM

Soon will test a few, my main worry was if to rough on street. Posts have been very informative and great folks that try to help other Corvette fans.

tcinla 02-02-2018 06:32 PM

I have a base c7 (no MRSC) but added the z51 sway bar upgrade. so with the smaller shocks and swaybar, I was able to notice the difference in the corners from before installing the sway bars. It's still soft in touring which is nice to have when you want it. I spend most of my time in sport mode but do use touring now and then.

I haz no problems with my setup or mrsc-envy.

BobFic 02-02-2018 06:34 PM

Good thing about Forums, your going to get wide prospective.
I was typing up 100 word essay, on the yes and no's. But I decided it's your money and your car, take a test drive with and with out Mag Ride, and make your decision. It's your car.
I had to edit...My Z/51 does not have Mag Ride, that's all I have to say about that...(GUMP)

fsvoboda 02-02-2018 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by JerryU (Post 1596509684)

1) The base car has the softest ride.

BOTTOM LINE
Depends what you are expecting. It's not a Cadillac! Ride is firm. If you're not going to push the car near it's limits get the base car.

:iagree:

Even the base car (what I have) is not as smooth as a Cadillac or even as my Dodge Charger daily driver. The base car is quite suitable for the street, however, and unless you're going to go to the track or drive very, very unwisely on the street it will be quite sufficient.

I might have gone for MSRC. It has a good reputation on C7 and other GM cars it is fitted to, but I just didn't see the payoff when measured against the price. I would agree with those who suggest you drive the different suspension setups and then make your choice.

:cheers:.

67 coupe 02-02-2018 06:38 PM

MRC is not needed.

checkur6 02-02-2018 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by ojm (Post 1596508772)
..sorry have asked about before.

I have note test drived any c7 before, reason asking once in awhile they show up in colors I like. Just need a heads up before test drive hate to make impulse buys at these prices.

Not worried of resale and will buy the option just getting a better idea.

Have a 2014 Z51 w/o MRC. Wondered at first what it would be like and maybe it's my smooth roads, but I have no problem with the Z51 ride w/o MRC. Sometimes it's a bit bumpy, but it's a sports car. For me, the only real value might be in resale, but I ain't sellin'. :rock: :cool:

dvilin 02-02-2018 07:58 PM

Have the base without MRC and it has a very smooth ride. Most people comment on how nice the ride is.

Patman 02-02-2018 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by tcinla (Post 1596510521)
I have a base c7 (no MRSC) but added the z51 sway bar upgrade. so with the smaller shocks and swaybar, I was able to notice the difference in the corners from before installing the sway bars. It's still soft in touring which is nice to have when you want it. I spend most of my time in sport mode but do use touring now and then.

If you don't have MSRC, your ride will not change when switching it from touring to sport mode. It'll be just as soft in sport as it is in touring.

scuba pro 02-02-2018 09:45 PM

I had a 2016 Z51 without the mag ride and thought that the ride was great, just bought a new 2018 GS (with mag ride) and think that even in tour it is stiffer then the Z51. I bought the GS for the track so I added the z07 package and there is definitely a difference in ride comfort for daily driving.

Skid Row Joe 02-02-2018 10:38 PM

Go test drive every possible iteration of the C7 suspension, then you'll know what to think about it. There's no other way to find out.

My perspective, unlike at least one here, was to buy exactly what I thought that I would want, regardless the cost factor. I had no budget, so I bought my new C7 based solely on how I wanted it equipped. Some have to stretch financially to make a new C7 happen.

I have it - (MSRC) on my base C7. I was certain that I would regret not having it, based on what I had read here based on C7 forum members with it. I have no idea how a non-MSRC, rides.

911Hunter 02-03-2018 12:00 AM

My C7 Z51 does not have MSRC, I thought that I was going to miss it when I traded in my 5th. gen Camaro ZL1 that had it standard, but I was surprised did not miss at all, I have driven many roads and streets which aren't in good condition and my Stingrays rides fine, no complaints.