CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   1961 Cowl vent template Request (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/4098305-1961-cowl-vent-template-request.html)

dcamick 02-04-2018 01:37 PM

1961 Cowl vent template Request

Ok...I'm really asking a lot here....

I just purchased a C1 Used Cowl vent on Ebay. My 1961 has no Cowl vent. It was eliminated by the previous original owner due to leaking issues. To complicate issues...Custom paint was applied following the cowl vent removal in 1970. I will need to work around that, if possible.

I am interested in re installing that vent port. I am requesting a template to confirm what I can see from under my dash. a paper template will work.

Any interest please PM me at your convenience.

Best,

dcamick

Plasticman 02-04-2018 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by dcamick (Post 1596522210)

I just purchased a C1 Used Cowl vent on Ebay. My 1961 has no Cowl vent. It was eliminated by the previous original owner due to leaking issues. To complicate issues...Custom paint was applied following the cowl vent removal in 1970. I will need to work around that, if possible.

I am interested in re installing that vent port. I am requesting a template to confirm what I can see from under my dash. a paper template will work.

Best,

dcamick

I don't have access to mine at the moment, but you could buy a cowl vent gasket at any of the C1 vendors, to give you a very rough idea on the size / shape.

http://www.zip-corvette.com/53-62-co...therstrip.html

I had the same issue with my 51 Chevy pickup, where the previous owner had filled it in....After careful consideration, I left it filled in, but then again, the truck had vent windows....And I do use the cowl vent in the 62 Vette...

Plasticman

vdetel 02-04-2018 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by dcamick (Post 1596522210)

Best,

dcamick

Your in luck buddy , I am restoring a 61 right now and have my cowl vent out so it will be easy to send you a template. Give me a phone number I can send the pick to with deminsions and I will get it to you this week. By the way , when I was looking for one to restore I seen one for sale that had vent removed - could it be the same one ? Victor

Robert61 02-04-2018 09:02 PM

I have that piece from replacing my hood surround.

vdetel 02-04-2018 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Robert61 (Post 1596525088)
I have that piece from replacing my hood surround.

How can I get a template to you from my car ?

dcamick 02-05-2018 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by vdetel (Post 1596525276)
How can I get a template to you from my car ?

Please PM me and I will be glad to pay UPS Charges and return!!!!

:cheers:

dcamick 02-05-2018 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by vdetel (Post 1596524931)
Your in luck buddy , I am restoring a 61 right now and have my cowl vent out so it will be easy to send you a template. Give me a phone number I can send the pick to with deminsions and I will get it to you this week. By the way , when I was looking for one to restore I seen one for sale that had vent removed - could it be the same one ? Victor

Actually, that was not me....Thanks for your help....

OC-1 02-05-2018 02:51 PM

Guess I'm stumped. The outline of the vent opening should be visible from below. drill a hole in the center and grind until the material color changes.

in fact a bright light should show the outline if the glass was stripped of paint.

if you have the cowl vent, measure equi-distant to the wiper holes. make a template from the vent door lay it down and center it. Drill a starter hole in the center and work slowly outward until the material color and density of material changes.

FWIW

dcamick 02-05-2018 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by OC-1 (Post 1596529520)
Guess I'm stumped. The outline of the vent opening should be visible from below. drill a hole in the center and grind until the material color changes.

in fact a bright light should show the outline if the glass was stripped of paint.

if you have the cowl vent, measure equi-distant to the wiper holes. make a template from the vent door lay it down and center it. Drill a starter hole in the center and work slowly outward until the material color and density of material changes.

FWIW

Great Idea!...but no wiper holes!!! That project follows the cowl vent.

But I like what your saying that was my plan (pilot hole).

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...0261bef9a2.jpg

Pic of car less cowl vent and windshield washer

Robert61 02-05-2018 04:30 PM

This is what I have.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...0dde6f2ff0.jpg

dcamick 02-05-2018 05:03 PM

Wow! I would say "that's a template"..

What are the chances of tracing the following on a pc of paper.

The opening of the entire recess (I have a vent for reference) , the center to center of the windshield spray fixtures, the measurement from the hood opening to the vent seal trough, the hood opening to the cowl vent edge at the center position, the edge of the panel, and any known reference from panel left or right to the edge of the vent trough.

That will save you from sending the panel to me......I will be more than happy to pay for the template and ups charges.....

Robert61 02-05-2018 05:55 PM

What are you going to laminate in for the vent? So you think that part is still under the patch?

dcamick 02-05-2018 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Robert61 (Post 1596530801)
What are you going to laminate in for the vent? So you think that part is still under the patch?

Actually, if I understand you correctly, I have purchased a used cowl vent, screen, hinges and levers on ebay for a 61. I don't believe there is anything other than a cardboard plug and body filler......Is that what you mean? Sorry!

Pop Chevy 02-05-2018 06:56 PM

I have a bare 60 body and am just north of Pitt. if you want to come look at it.

Robert61 02-05-2018 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by dcamick (Post 1596530981)
Actually, if I understand you correctly, I have purchased a used cowl vent, screen, hinges and levers on ebay for a 61. I don't believe there is anything other than a cardboard plug and body filler......Is that what you mean? Sorry!

Yes that was what I was asking about. I thought they may have cut it out. I'll figure out a way to make you a good template. If they did cut it out at least you know where another one is. Pm me your address and I'll get something to you unless you decide to go a different route.

GTOguy 02-06-2018 03:50 PM

If I had your car, I wouldn't touch it. The period finish it has right now is priceless, IMO.

dcamick 02-06-2018 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by GTOguy (Post 1596536859)
If I had your car, I wouldn't touch it. The period finish it has right now is priceless, IMO.

GTOguy,

I must admit..it will be impossible to match that "1970 Sun Gleam Copper Lacquer color for the replacement vent...and any mistakes relocating that vent opening.......

Robert61 02-07-2018 06:39 PM

I've been very busy. I should get to making you a template tomorrow. I'll post a picture for you before I ship it to make sure it's what you want.

ptjsk 02-07-2018 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by GTOguy (Post 1596536859)

I agree with Jeff on this one.

Why mess with something that looks damn good as it is?

Now, if you're going to tear the car apart for a total restoration.....then I could see getting the vent back in.

Robert61 02-08-2018 03:05 PM

I tried making a template out of some plexiglass I had but it kept breaking so I figured it would never survive shipping. Here are my measurements. If you want I would ship the old part I have for you to compare or I'll continue to try and make a better template. I just noticed I didn't locate the centers of the radii on of end of the opening. I'll get those tomorrow if needed.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...a970b0e10.jpeg