CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Autocrossing & Roadracing (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing-23/)
-   -   Has anyone just used SRF and not bled brakes before HPDE? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing/4099164-has-anyone-just-used-srf-and-not-bled-brakes-before-hpde.html)

village idiot 02-06-2018 04:58 PM

Has anyone just used SRF and not bled brakes before HPDE?

I was looking and SRF has pretty high wet boiling point (518)- probably about what the boiling point of the RBF600 is after quick 1qt bleed and 1 session if I had to guess.

I do 1-2 events a month. I'd much rather flush the whole system with SRF every 2-3 months than 1 quart every event. Bleeding fluid kinda sucks.

Captain Buddha 02-06-2018 05:41 PM

I run SRF in both GT2 race cars. Fluid holds up for a weekend of racing (1 day, or less, of practice, two quals, two sprint races). Always bleed before the next weekend. If the pedal feels soft I'll bleed if needed.

63Corvette 02-06-2018 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Buddha (Post 1596537630)
I run SRF in both GT2 race cars. Fluid holds up for a weekend of racing (1 day, or less, of practice, two quals, two sprint races). Always bleed before the next weekend. If the pedal feels soft I'll bleed if needed.

:iagree:I concur:thumbs:

badhabit_wb 02-06-2018 07:41 PM

Bleed them!

Poor-sha 02-06-2018 07:47 PM

I run SRF and I flush them once at the beginning of the season and might flush them once during the season because the fluid starts to look dark. I probably average about two events a month from March through November. No issues.

TKOGTO 02-07-2018 12:46 PM

Similar to Poor-sha, I start season with fresh fluid (Motul) and run that for 5 days. New fluid goes in prior to mid-July event @ WGI (heavy braking track) and I run that for the remainder of the year, another 5 - 6 events. With Quantum duct kit, I have yet to have an issue.

Dan H. 02-07-2018 02:25 PM

Subscribed,
I've changed over to SRF this winter from Motul 600. I've also upgraded to an AP front BBK. I've heard from several people who say they don't bleed their brakes for every DE event because they use SRF. Love the concept of less maintenance, but I don't know if I can bring myself to do it. I still change synthetic oil in my DD after 3500 miles.........

badhabit_wb 02-07-2018 02:36 PM

I changed from Motul to SRF and like the SRF better but I think bleeding is cheap life insurance. If a quart of SRF will stop you from going to the track then maybe staying home is a good idea.

gpuglisi 02-07-2018 03:24 PM

I run SRF and only bleed every second or third event. Maintenance was much higher with Motul, bleed after every event and more frequent flushing.

apex26 02-07-2018 03:44 PM

My experience with SRF is like the others--much better. Bought the plastic line and syringe and can't wait to bleed the clutch slave with it come spring using the "improved ranger" method.

badhabit_wb 02-07-2018 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by apex26 (Post 1596543760)
My experience with SRF is like the others--much better. Bought the plastic line and syringe and can't wait to bleed the clutch slave with it come spring using the "improved ranger" method.

I'd stick with the Motul 600 unless you do a true bleed. The SRF may not be compatible with what's in it. I use the Motul for the clutch and it works fine there. I also have a remote bleeder so I can keep it clean.

village idiot 02-07-2018 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb (Post 1596543304)
I changed from Motul to SRF and like the SRF better but I think bleeding is cheap life insurance. If a quart of SRF will stop you from going to the track then maybe staying home is a good idea.

It's not the money. It's just a PITA to do every track day.

If I'm going to bleed every time, I'm just going to use RBF. Not need for SRF if I am going to bleed with RBF. Also, when I bleed with RBF, I basically bleed half the system. If I'm opening a bottle, might as well use the whole thing.

village idiot 02-07-2018 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Poor-sha (Post 1596538421)
I run SRF and I flush them once at the beginning of the season and might flush them once during the season because the fluid starts to look dark. I probably average about two events a month from March through November. No issues.

Awesome. I was thinking I'd flush it once every 4-5 events.

synner 02-07-2018 05:22 PM

I'd cook Motul in a weekend easily, SRF I bleed after 2 full weekends so I consider worth the extra money to help save my back from maintenance.

village idiot 02-07-2018 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by synner (Post 1596544325)
I'd cook Motul in a weekend easily, SRF I bleed after 2 full weekends so I consider worth the extra money to help save my back from maintenance.

Jesus, what track? What are you running?

synner 02-07-2018 07:18 PM

It's in a 5th gen camaro on very sticky tires but with 6-pistons, ducts and track pads. The weight just fries brakes and I'm unwilling to gut the car. I run all over the southeast. I had some off track adventures when things overheated with the Motul but none since switching to SRF.

Dan H. 02-07-2018 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by synner

I've cooked motul twice now, WGI and VIR. This is with brake cooling ducts, fresh fluid every time, and new full thickness xp12 pads. These events rattled my confidence so this winter AP six piston calipers and SRF became the off season project

Mordeth 02-07-2018 07:56 PM

I run SRF in my C6Z which is a dedicated track car. It definitely holds up longer than Motul. I bleed once a month, which usually equates to 6 track days. I will also typically bleed prior to a 3 day event (regardless of how long since last time) if I know I am going to be beating the crap out of the car in an advanced/open track group for 3 straight days. It gives me piece of mind and I then don't have to worry/fret about it. Same thing with pads. Fresh front pads if I am doing an extended event, regardless of what happens to be on there.

In most of the advanced groups I am in almost all of the guys I know start the weekend with fresh pads and brake fluid (including me).

gpuglisi 02-07-2018 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dan H. (Post 1596545264)
I've cooked motul twice now, WGI and VIR. This is with brake cooling ducts, fresh fluid every time, and new full thickness xp12 pads. These events rattled my confidence so this winter AP six piston calipers and SRF became the off season project

I cooked it once with a TT-RS at NHMS, not fun at all. That's when I switched to SRF. No issues since.

SunnydayDILYSI 02-07-2018 10:00 PM

I've run multiple weekends over a span of 6-months on SRF with no issue in my C5, but do have a have large PFC BBK with ducts. If you do feel the pedal start to go long / spongy, go strait in and flush it. I've heard from a reliable source that once it starts to go, it goes fast.