CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   1992 corvette SYS and security light flashing (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/4099249-1992-corvette-sys-and-security-light-flashing.html)

Brenden Schaeffer 02-06-2018 08:22 PM

1992 corvette SYS and security light flashing

so iv pretty Much dialed down all my other issues and this is my last bit. My SYS and security light are flashing. My trip/ gas buttons don’t work either, is there a correlation with these? Iv looked up other forums but most of them say SYS and no start condition. My car runs pretty much perfect (for 140,000 miles id say). Since I can’t use the gage buttons I can’t get rid of the change oil light either. Where should I begin?

Any help would be great thank you

pcolt94 02-06-2018 10:10 PM

The security light should flash when the door is opened and the key is not in the ignition or engine running.

The SYS light many times indicates the battery is weak and may need to be replaced. However the SYS light may also indicate a code in module 1 of the CCM. You might try to pull the codes and just see what comes up.

As a very very long shot, disconnect the battery for a minute and see if there are any changes. Pull the codes first because all codes will be cleared when battery is disconnected.

Brenden Schaeffer 02-06-2018 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by pcolt94 (Post 1596539342)
The security light should flash when the door is opened and the key is not in the ignition or engine running.

The SYS light many times indicates the battery is weak and may need to be replaced. However the SYS light may also indicate a code in module 1 of the CCM. You might try to pull the codes and just see what comes up.

As a very very long shot, disconnect the battery for a minute and see if there are any changes. Pull the codes first because all codes will be cleared when battery is disconnected.

i raplaced the battery and alternator less then a month ago, I pulled the codes and am getting C13 and H13 in module 1. Isn’t that for the left 02 sensor? I just replaced them both

WVZR-1 02-06-2018 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Brenden Schaeffer (Post 1596539481)

i raplaced the battery and alternator less then a month ago, I pulled the codes and am getting C13 and H13 in module 1. Isn’t that for the left 02 sensor? I just replaced them both

13 is a DIC switch shorted to B+ OR 'open'

Do you have the FSM? I posted CCM diagnostics in a .pdf to a post last week. It's the complete CCM diagnostics and CCM section from the FSM.

Here's the thread - I asked a user to 'proof read' - I don't see where he's ever responded!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1596491081

Brenden Schaeffer 02-06-2018 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by WVZR-1 (Post 1596539565)

Do you have the FSM? I posted CCM diagnostics in a .pdf to a post last week. It's the complete CCM diagnostics and CCM section from the FSM.

Here's the thread - I asked a user to 'proof read' - I don't see where he's ever responded!

hmm weight I took a look at that what exaclty does that mean though?

Brenden Schaeffer 02-07-2018 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by WVZR-1 (Post 1596539565)

sorry that last response was a bit wild. What exaclty is B+ and what does it mean open?

JimLentz 02-07-2018 07:35 AM

B+ signifies +12 volts from the battery. Open means it is not connected.

WVZR-1 02-07-2018 08:00 AM

Judging from your original post and the C13/H13 codes it hints maybe bad DIC, poor connection @ DIC or maybe even a CCM issue. SYS & SECURITY maybe throws a bit of a curve to the diagnostics though.

Have you ever been into the dash for any issue at all? Is the radio OE or after-market? Maybe not relevant to your issue but it might explain someone being in the dash.

It seems maybe ODD that with the DIC mostly inoperative that you could actually get into the CCM diagnostics. You used a procedure similar to those in the file I posted?

Brenden Schaeffer 02-07-2018 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by WVZR-1 (Post 1596540494)
Judging from your original post and the C13/H13 codes it hints maybe bad DIC, poor connection @ DIC or maybe even a CCM issue. SYS & SECURITY maybe throws a bit of a curve to the diagnostics though.

Have you ever been into the dash for any issue at all? Is the radio OE or after-market? Maybe not relevant to your issue but it might explain someone being in the dash.

It seems maybe ODD that with the DIC mostly inoperative that you could actually get into the CCM diagnostics. You used a procedure similar to those in the file I posted?

I took off the dash peice that covers the radio and DIC just to clean stuff off, the previous owner put in a new radio.

WVZR-1 02-07-2018 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Brenden Schaeffer (Post 1596541251)

I took off the dash peice that covers the radio and DIC just to clean stuff off, the previous owner put in a new radio.

If you had the DIC in your hand, then when you replaced it you didn't get the harness connector secured. Is this a recent problem or it's been there since you bought? I'd think the first check would be the connector @ the DIC.

I've replaced the DIC, the printed circuit on a couple but I've never removed the actual 'switch pack' to see how practical it might be to just maybe check/replace the resistors used. Dependent upon 'talent' maybe that's a viable option.

JimLentz 02-07-2018 10:41 AM

Depending on how the new radio was installed it can cause a SYS light. Does your car have the C68 automatic temperature control?

Brenden Schaeffer 02-07-2018 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by WVZR-1 (Post 1596541290)
If you had the DIC in your hand, then when you replaced it you didn't get the harness connector secured. Is this a recent problem or it's been there since you bought? I'd think the first check would be the connector @ the DIC.

I've replaced the DIC, the printed circuit on a couple but I've never removed the actual 'switch pack' to see how practical it might be to just maybe check/replace the resistors used. Dependent upon 'talent' maybe that's a viable option.

so just check the connector in the back? It has been his way since I got it

WVZR-1 02-07-2018 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Brenden Schaeffer (Post 1596541964)

so just check the connector in the back? It has been his way since I got it

You need to check 2 connections, the 2 row connector to the PC board and the connection PC board to the DIC control itself.

Using this link you check the connector 'above' the AH and also to the left of the AH.

Image #5 I believe in this eBay offering.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Drivers-Inf...!US!-1&vxp=mtr

WVZR-1 02-07-2018 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs (Post 1596542952)
He's getting a SYS light because he has a C13 code.

The codes associated with a radio replacement are 72 and 74 (I think. Something like that. Up in the 7x's. He doesn't have those.)

I never said that it could be radio related! It's a 'reason' why someone might have been into the dash. If a radio has been done the guy who did it could've done something to the CCM harnesses. The OP says it's been this way since he bought it. I was surprised that the OP might have been able to even pull codes because he mentions many other functions of the DIC/Cluster aren't responsive either.

I understand why the C13 - if he has enough control over the DIC to clear CCM codes fine but it might not necessarily make the issue go away.

leowin 02-08-2018 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Brenden Schaeffer (Post 1596538675)
so iv pretty Much dialed down all my other issues and this is my last bit. My SYS and security light are flashing. My trip/ gas buttons don’t work either, is there a correlation with these? Iv looked up other forums but most of them say SYS and no start condition. My car runs pretty much perfect (for 140,000 miles id say). Since I can’t use the gage buttons I can’t get rid of the change oil light either. Where should I begin?

Any help would be great thank you

I just dealt with this problem got "SYS" and my buttons wouldn't work either. My problem was with the connection which i believe was a ribbon cable connected to the cluster on the trip/gas part of the dash.I removed the screws for the speedometer trim piece and just reached back in there and pushed on the connection and that took care of my problem.

Brenden Schaeffer 02-12-2018 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs (Post 1596577222)
No you didn't. JIM LENTZ DID!

Why you quoting ME???? I quoted Jim Lentz, not YOU. Read!!

whoa whoa whoa calm down lol. Iv been on vacation but I got into the dash today and the connector on the back was out a little little but and a little dirt cleaned it up and now the DIC works fine so thanks for the all the help. Now any one know how to take apart the steering column to get to the blinker and cruise control lever it’s loose and only left had (down) works but pulling it back, up, forward, it’s all super loose and not even connected