CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Aftermarket Stereo for C6 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/4100705-aftermarket-stereo-for-c6.html)

Doc_Ox 02-10-2018 04:31 PM

Aftermarket Stereo for C6

I'm considering replacing the OEM NAV headunit in my 2008 C6 Coupe with an aftermarket stereo that includes NAV, an input for a back-up camera, and Apple Carplay compatibility.

I remember seeing on here a while back that I'll lose some functionality, maybe with my heads-up display if I go aftermarket. Is this true? If so, will I lose all HUD features, or just the NAV feature of the HUD?

With the Double D site evidently gone, any alternative sites for ensuring I get all of the correct C6 brackets, harnesses, etc.?

Lastly, if you have any specific brand/model suggestions that fit my needs, please provide them.

Any advice is much appreciated. I'll need a garage project with spring around the corner, so this should fit the bill very nicely.

Corvette_Ed 02-10-2018 04:37 PM

You will lose the Nav interface with the HUD, but not the HUD itself. Crutchfield seems to be the most popular alternative to Double D, and from what I've read here they provide good customer service.

I'm partial to Kenwood stereos, having had very good experiences with them in multiple cars, and they do have plenty of Nav head units with Apple CarPlay. You'll want to make sure you get one that has a tilting face to help with glare. With you car being a coupe, you probably won't need a capacitive touchscreen, which is more helpful for preventing glare in verts, but it wouldn't hurt to have in your coupe either. I have a Kenwood DDX9903 and absolutely love it.

Vette_Fan 02-10-2018 06:01 PM

Not to highjack the thread by I am looking to replace the Bose unit (non-Nav) in my '08 Vert soon. (haven't even taken delivery of the car yet, and looking for a stereo upgrade :D)

I think a nice double din DVD (with some EQ features + back up camera) would be nice. Nav...I am debating on, cuz it's a lot more expensive & most cell phones have google maps/nav anyways, so not sure if it's worth it. :lurk:

Vet Interested 02-10-2018 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan (Post 1596564684)
Not to highjack the thread by I am looking to replace the Bose unit (non-Nav) in my '08 Vert soon. (haven't even taken delivery of the car yet, and looking for a stereo upgrade :D)

I think a nice double din DVD (with some EQ features + back up camera) would be nice. Nav...I am debating on, cuz it's a lot more expensive & most cell phones have google maps/nav anyways, so not sure if it's worth it. :lurk:

But you did highjack the thread! :toetap:

To the OP, I too have a Kenwood Unit (DNX890HD) and love the upgraded sound quality and the Garmin Nav. As Corvette Ed mentioned, check out Crutchfield since DD is no longer a vendor that can be trusted.

Vette_Fan 02-10-2018 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Vet Interested (Post 1596566105)

Fine! I'll post another thread, then someone will refer me back to this... :rofl:

I think we're asking similar questions and circling around the same subject, "can we all get along" :leaving:

ScottMA64 02-10-2018 11:50 PM

I'm going to be replacing mine with the Kenwood DMX905S. It was just released last month so it has been out of stock or on back order with most places. It has all the features i'm looking and not looking for. Don't need nav or dvd capability.

Scott

S.C. vette 02-11-2018 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Vet Interested (Post 1596566105)

To the OP, I too have a Kenwood Unit (DNX890HD) and love the upgraded sound quality and the Garmin Nav. As Corvette Ed mentioned, check out Crutchfield since DD is no longer a vendor that can be trusted.

.... there will always be those who feel they are privileged, rules are for others, decorum or respect for others be dammed, and need to color outsides the lines.

To the OP, Crutchfield is the answer to your needs, here is a good primer.
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-EB7Eh7...-corvette.html

hollowbrook 02-11-2018 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan (Post 1596564684)

hey i just replaced stock head unit with a pioneer 2300 nex i think it is i was gonna do nav as well but i always used my cell any way so the apple car play actually is perfect. the sound quality is much imporved to my ear however car going in on tuesday to add jl stealth box 8 subs behind seats a jl xd amp 500/3 and hybrid audio 6.5 components in the doors. not sure if that helps but good luck

danzio56 02-11-2018 07:52 AM

Doc,
I just put a new Pioneer HU in my '10 GS. It's an AVH-X491BHS and I love it. Crutchfield is the place to go for anything car audio. They have competitive pricing and especially if you are not dead set on a particular item or brand you can usually find something you like on sale, plus they heavily discount the needed accessories such as wire harness and mounting kit.

One thing I will add is that a HU with the capability of tilting the screen is a huge plus. The unit I have tilts out in 5 stepped increments and the amount of glare reduction when tilting is unbelievable. For instance when the screen is sitting flush to the dash it may be completely un-viewable. However as you begin to tilt the screen out to position 1 it starts to improve and you can continue tilting it outward and usually by step 3 or 4 the entire glare is gone. When you shut off the ignition the screen automatically goes back to the flat, fully closed position. I think this is the single best feature of this particular radio. And I can say first hand that without the tilting, this particular screen during the daytime would often be completely un-viewable.

Callaway DrDon 02-11-2018 09:54 AM

I am just getting ready to do the same project. Crutchfield has a questioner to fill out where you can list your stereo requirements and they will recommend the best unit. I just did this last week and they recommended the Pioneer AVH - 2330NEX. I was looking for rear and front video inputs, apple CarPlay, and the ability to display waze. Was not looking for built in Nav since I can use my phone. I am holding out for the new Kenwood DDX9705S which should come out next month. The two reasons I want the Kenwood, 1. It has the Capactive screen which from my research is very important in viewing the screen in a convertible, and 2. it will also have the link to view waze navigation on the screen. Crutchfield has been very helpful in answering my many e-mailed questions within one day. I also considering replacing the rear and top door speakers, and they have been helpful on that topic. I choose the Echomaster CAM-LF3B-N backup camera . Good video on Youtube "My favorite and best backup camera from Echo Master".
Also since the console trim was coming off, I installed a MGW shifter, which I finished yesterday , very easy to install by watching the Youtube videos. Like you I was getting bored and needed a winter project! Keep us posted on your progress>

Corvette_Ed 02-11-2018 11:29 AM

For those of you who use your phone for Nav, what do you do when you're in a cellular dead area? Part of what I do for a living deals with cellular dead zones across the country, and there are quite a few of them.

Doc_Ox 02-11-2018 12:22 PM

Thank you all for your very helpful advice! Please keep it coming. It seems many on here have spring-fever and are ready to make the same radio upgrade, so I hope this thread is helpful to everyone. I'm using the recommendations to consult Crutchfield and I somehow always end up with no less than 10 tabs open of different options. Isn't gadget research the best?! :D

I agree with the comments that have mentioned NAV may not be worth it if you have Carplay...assuming cell signal is available, of course. I think I'll skip the NAV requirement on the new receiver (unless it's included by default).

My research has opened up a few more questions though...

-One of the main reasons for my upgrade, in addition to the obvious ones, is to add an aftermarket back-up camera. For the receivers that have back-up camera inputs for aftermarket cameras, will the video feed trigger automatically when the car is placed in reverse, or do you have to manually navigate to an AV mode on the receiver to see the feed? Or, perhaps, is it based on which back-up camera I choose?

-If I'm envisioning the final installation correctly, once I install the receiver I will no longer have access to the back panel and the rear inputs (e.g., RCA, USB, HDMI, etc.). For the inputs that are currently unused, is it recommend to route an extension cable from each and hide them just in case they're needed in the future? Unless I'm missing something, it seems like it would be a royal pain to remove the radio for future upgrades, such as adding a front camera.

Thanks again everyone! :cheers:

Callaway DrDon 02-11-2018 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed (Post 1596568359)
For those of you who use your phone for Nav, what do you do when you're in a cellular dead area? Part of what I do for a living deals with cellular dead zones across the country, and there are quite a few of them.

I would definitely spend a bit more and go with a satellite GPS nav unit if I needed to depend on a signal for travel directions.

c6crazy 02-11-2018 12:32 PM

Sorry to hear about DD. He supplied me with my sub box and subs, couldn't been happier. The change to aftermarket is so huge over stock. I would highly suggest Hybrid Audio speakers for the doors. No need to change rears as they will become obsolete once you do the upgrade to the front. Trust me you will have no regrets.

As for cords and outputs...I can have access to my radio in less than 10 mins to add or disconnect anything from rear. I would also suggest a gps navy due to lost signal from cell phone in some areas.

vetsvett 02-11-2018 12:35 PM

I installed a clarion in my 05 coupe with everything you mentioned and more. I love it.

Callaway DrDon 02-11-2018 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Doc_Ox (Post 1596568729)
Thank you all for your very helpful advice! Please keep it coming. It seems many on here have spring-fever and are ready to make the same radio upgrade, so I hope this thread is helpful to everyone. I'm using the recommendations to consult Crutchfield and I somehow always end up with no less than 10 tabs open of different options. Isn't gadget research the best?! :D

I agree with the comments that have mentioned NAV may not be worth it if you have Carplay...assuming cell signal is available, of course. I think I'll skip the NAV requirement on the new receiver (unless it's included by default).

My research has opened up a few more questions though...

-One of the main reasons for my upgrade, in addition to the obvious ones, is to add an aftermarket back-up camera. For the receivers that have back-up camera inputs for aftermarket cameras, will the video feed trigger automatically when the car is placed in reverse, or do you have to manually navigate to an AV mode on the receiver to see the feed? Or, perhaps, is it based on which back-up camera I choose?

-If I'm envisioning the final installation correctly, once I install the receiver I will no longer have access to the back panel and the rear inputs (e.g., RCA, USB, HDMI, etc.). For the inputs that are currently unused, is it recommend to route an extension cable from each and hide them just in case they're needed in the future? Unless I'm missing something, it seems like it would be a royal pain to remove the radio for future upgrades, such as adding a front camera.

Thanks again everyone! :cheers:

How you view the screen when you are in reverse depends on how you have it wired. To come on automatically you need to wire the camera into the back up light. There are several videos out there to help and several for a C6.
I plan on doing just what you suggest, extend cables from all the outputs to a convenient location.
I just finished mounting to license plate/camera I suggested, so far so good, and it has a nice clean look with the black metal frame and Cyber Gray. I have the wire into the trunk and ready to route the wire to the unit location.

GRCTampa 02-11-2018 01:10 PM

I had the Panasonic AVH-4201NEX kit installed in my 2011 coupe in December.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130420...X-Package.html

I am very pleased with the look and sound of the head unit. The back up camera is a big plus. The cigarette lighter was replaced with USB and HDMI ports. I can use CarPlay or mirror my iPhone using the HDMI port. There is also a USB port in the center console. With the SD card slot I nowhave a music library of approximately 30 GB at my fingertips.

mracer 02-11-2018 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by vetsvett (Post 1596568850)
I installed a clarion in my 05 coupe with everything you mentioned and more. I love it.

Used to sell clarion back in the day (Muntz), was a great product back then! Which model to you install ....?
Mike :canadaflag:

vetsvett 02-11-2018 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by mracer (Post 1596569135)
Used to sell clarion back in the day (Muntz), was a great product back then! Which model to you install ....?
Mike :canadaflag:

NX404. I know i could've gone a little higher end but was on a strict budget back then.

4LisaJean 02-11-2018 03:46 PM

Have an 05 with factory nav and xm tuner. Nav is toast. Battery went dead, jumped the car, after it started, no nav screen, no controls. xm still played. Dealer charged me $180.00 to try to re-program, didn't work. Quoted me an outrageous price to replace. Anybody want to sell factory navi?