CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Should I replace my tires prior to selling car? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/4101392-should-i-replace-my-tires-prior-to-selling-car.html)

NMJoe 02-12-2018 12:49 PM

Should I replace my tires prior to selling car?

I plan to sell my Centennial in the next few months. The original Goodyears are still on the car and are down to the wear bars with just over 10K on the clock. From your perspective, should I sell the car with the worn tires so a buyer can put what they want on, or should I put new on myself? Will I be able to price the car higher with new tires, and if so will I get close to getting my money back? Will the car be easier to sell/more appealing one way or the other?

I would appreciate how you would look at the situation if you were buying a used car.

NMJ

Dub Mc 02-12-2018 01:28 PM

I have trouble reclaiming money spent on a vehicle so I would sell as is.

tlcj 02-12-2018 01:32 PM

Sell as is.

jrose7004 02-12-2018 01:33 PM

I'd sell it as is.

See5see6 02-12-2018 01:35 PM

I would prefer to buy it "as is" and decide for my self what tires I want to install.

S.C. vette 02-12-2018 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by NMJoe (Post 1596575452)
I plan to sell my Centennial in the next few months. The original Goodyears are still on the car and are down to the wear bars with just over 10K on the clock. From your perspective, should I sell the car with the worn tires so a buyer can put what they want on, or should I put new on myself? Will I be able to price the car higher with new tires, and if so will I get close to getting my money back? Will the car be easier to sell/more appealing one way or the other?

I would appreciate how you would look at the situation if you were buying a used car.

NMJ

:willy:
Rather than the hassle associated with this effort, and risking the loss of a sale over the type or quality of tire YOU choose, just give the buyer a credit or discount. Life is too short for such worries!

leadfart 02-12-2018 01:50 PM

I'd sell it as is, let your price reflect that. I just bought a ZR1, and my first real mod was to replace the tires.:thumbs:

J.Moore 02-12-2018 03:45 PM

Yep, sell as is. List your price a tad higher and tell buyer you will discount price $1000 toward a set of new tires. Buyers always like a price drop.

Jim2003 02-12-2018 04:51 PM

No do not put new tires on it. The new owner will then have the option to put on whatever brand he wishes. You will not recover the money spent.

cmonkey713 02-12-2018 05:03 PM

Sell as is where it is.:thumbs:

Sonny71 02-12-2018 05:56 PM

Another vote for "AS IS"

FAUEE 02-12-2018 07:11 PM

Overall agree with no, it sounds like you have a nice car, and this will be selling it through the "nice car" channels.

However, if you were to put it on craigslist or something like that, the tires would be something that the people looking to scam you into a low price would pick up on to ask for exorbitant discounts.

It will be easier to sll with new tires. However, you will not et your money back from it. So it comes down to what your priorities are.

phileaglesfan 02-12-2018 07:30 PM

I agree with Fauee somewhat. Tires are 6 years old anyway so they should be replaced anyway. Having crappy/worn tires on the car makes me think why you are so cheap or what other maintenance are you not doing. I would expect a similar price or more discount if I have to put my own tires on the car. With new tires you can probably ask more than normal price.

Also think of it this way. An out of state buyer will probably want to drive it home. If the tires are worn then he must waste time/money before he can even head home. Don't put the cheapest tires you can find on it either.

People are going to low ball you either way. Go to Carmax and find out what they will buy it from you. At least you have a ball park where you should be. Remember they depreciate so I would just sell it quick and be done with it.

danzio56 02-12-2018 07:42 PM

Yes. Sell as is. And never put new carpeting in a home you are about to sell........and for the same reason.

FAUEE 02-12-2018 07:50 PM

If someone tried to give me a line about needing new tires to drive the car home, I'd tell them to rent a trailer. I've driven home cars on some very sketchy tires, it's not a big deal.

phileaglesfan 02-12-2018 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by FAUEE (Post 1596578455)
If someone tried to give me a line about needing new tires to drive the car home, I'd tell them to rent a trailer. I've driven home cars on some very sketchy tires, it's not a big deal.

All depends on what they look like and how far you have to go. When I bought my 13GS it had crap A/S Toyo tires (undersized) on the rear. I wouldn't drive them that far, but the dealer was 17 miles away.

BobBass 02-12-2018 08:00 PM

I am in the exact same position. Good to read that the majority say, "Sell as is."

phileaglesfan 02-12-2018 08:02 PM

I can also see selling it "as-is" also providing the price is reflecting having worn out tires that need to be replaced.

Grand Sport Jim 02-12-2018 08:39 PM

Carpet

Originally Posted by danzio56 (Post 1596578392)
Yes. Sell as is. And never put new carpeting in a home you are about to sell........and for the same reason.

Unless the existing carpet is new you replace it with the cheapest neutral color carpeting you can source. :toetap:

ruxvette 02-12-2018 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Grand Sport Jim (Post 1596578790)
Unless the existing carpet is new you replace it with the cheapest neutral color carpeting you can source. :toetap:

So the carpet matches the drapes? :hide: