CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   86 1986 wipers fail to sweep move 1 inch. (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/4101899-86-1986-wipers-fail-to-sweep-move-1-inch.html)

Mikeceli 02-13-2018 05:04 PM

86 1986 wipers fail to sweep move 1 inch.

Hi. I windshield wipers, every now and then, fail to sweep properly on my '86 Coupe.

When turned on, they move up and down approx. 1 inch. When the switch is activated in delay, the 1 inch movement occurs at the set rate of delay, same in low and high speeds, the 1 inch movement occurs at a frequency appropriate w/ the selected speed.Park properly when shut off.

The blades are not hanging up on anything I can see. When the malfunction is not present, the wipers operate perfectly.

Before I spend hour(s) w/ the FSM, I'm asking here.

Thanks!

Tod Stiles 02-13-2018 10:23 PM

I had very similar problems on my 86. Would operate correctly but sometimes do one sweep and park or, as you have, only do a partial sweep. My problem was the wiper switch. I had the door apart for another problem and took out the switch and cleaned it with electrical cleaner. Works great now. Hope this helps.

Mikeceli 02-14-2018 01:06 AM

Thank you!

I had sprayed Radio Shack electric contact cleaner at(hopefully into) the switch, by inserting the can's spray straw, into the slot which the switch lever travels. (This w/ o removing the inner door panel.)

Unfortunately it did not fix the problem. I suppose I will consider removing the switch for a better cleaning (or replacement).

I heard the wiper motor COVER, might have something to do w/ the problem. Anyone?

xrav22 02-14-2018 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Mikeceli (Post 1596587218)
Thank you!

I had sprayed Radio Shack electric contact cleaner at(hopefully into) the switch, by inserting the can's spray straw, into the slot which the switch lever travels. (This w/ o removing the inner door panel.)

Unfortunately it did not fix the problem. I suppose I will consider removing the switch for a better cleaning (or replacement).

I heard the wiper motor COVER, might have something to do w/ the problem. Anyone?

Behind the door are the contacts for the plug, spraying them or sandpapering will help get the proper power to the motor.:cheers:

Mikeceli 02-14-2018 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by xrav22 (Post 1596589144)
Behind the door are the contacts for the plug, spraying them or sandpapering will help get the proper power to the motor.:cheers:

Thank you also. turns out the driver door lock tumbler stopped working, today.

I will be pulling the door panel and w motor cover.

Mikeceli 02-22-2018 03:05 PM

I fixed the door lock and thoroughly cleaned the wiper switch and all connections w/ contact spray and compressed air. Reassembled and same problem persists.

I removed the wiper motor cover(PITA Torx screws!) and don't see much I can do, except clean the 2 cover to motor contacts and maybe spray electrical contact cleaner in the rheostat.

Anyone? Time to get the FSM out, I guess.