CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 ZR-1 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-zr-1-discussion-50/)
-   -   What happened to those LT% Siamesed Intake Runners? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-zr-1-discussion/4102855-what-happened-to-those-lt-siamesed-intake-runners.html)

BlackRocket 02-16-2018 01:54 AM

What happened to those LT% Siamesed Intake Runners?

There were a number of Siamesed Intake Runners back in the 90's that seemed to be a great alternative to porting a stock intake. Does anyone know what happened to these or who made them? I believe DRM had a few on his "Black Widow's".

Thanks! :thumbs:
B-R

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...866ba28f7f.jpg

Paul Workman 02-16-2018 09:37 AM

Most of those I've seen were custom jobs. I could be wrong, but I'm not aware of anyone that made up a "batch" of them for sale/distribution - per se". DRM, Haibeck, Lingenfelter, and others including individuals handy with a die-grinder and a TIG welder made some for themselves and maybe a couple others. Not a lot of call for them, except for BIG INCH/STROKER LT5 projects.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...d346d23e15.jpg

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...8201675fad.jpg

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...0e64928eec.jpg

FU 02-16-2018 09:46 AM

With the latest porting tech of the runners we now have a plain looking external intake actually flowing better than the Siamesed version runners. Actually much better flow has been achieved with stock appearing runners.

Just the facts.

Black Rocket the intake that you have pictured is a new version complete intake.

Rkreigh 02-16-2018 12:42 PM

I'd like to see what some ITB intakes would do on the LT5

I have enough cams and with a bit more head porting and the ITBs who knows the LSV has trapped 129 which is good for a "little motor"

Pete's stock block outshines most anywhere near his displacement and the car turns some great times!!

Dominic Sorresso 02-16-2018 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Rkreigh (Post 1596604618)
I'd like to see what some ITB intakes would do on the LT5

I have enough cams and with a bit more head porting and the ITBs who knows the LSV has trapped 129 which is good for a "little motor"

Pete's stock block outshines most anywhere near his displacement and the car turns some great times!!

Pete’s car has run 11.0s at 128+ in the 1/4 and 154+ in the 1/2. Pretty stout for a stock block 5.7L motor.

Tom400CFI 02-16-2018 10:52 PM

How would ITB's affect power? Once the throttle is open...it's open...isn't it? Unless the TB is too small for the engine.

BlackRocket 02-17-2018 03:02 AM

Wow, those intakes that Paul Workman posted are a work of art!

So if these were all fabbed up from stock intakes who makes the one I originally posted the picture of?

Rkreigh 02-17-2018 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI (Post 1596608891)
How would ITB's affect power? Once the throttle is open...it's open...isn't it? Unless the TB is too small for the engine.

if you look at the LT5 intake, the air takes a rather abrupt set of changes. air likes straight shot. Look at the c5r through c75 carbon fiber intakes. they have a great design and give the air a straight shot at the port for higher flow

the lt5 intake isn't so bad, but the injector housings (especially on the early cars) have a bigger injector boss as the lt5 originally was slated for a different injector. while you can grind all of this away and pick up a few ponies the lt5 intake is designed more for torq than flow above 6k

so a properly designed ITB gives each port a tapered straight shot, with a bigger throttle plate area. If you look at the lt5 throttle body, we have a nickel size primary, no bueno for anything but sipping through a straw.

With the ITBs it's kinda like big cams (and you need them). You give up lots of low end torq for a fatter top end torq bulge which should make the car faster. It would also provide better access to injectors and I'm looking to go coil on plug with a megasquirt as well. And yes, twin turbos love ITB.

Anyway, it's a pretty expensive experiment and likely to make the car harder to drive unless tuned really well and setup with smaller and longer cross ram style pipes to give the low end. The better flow will give the high end all it needs.

There was a good article on the LS7 (what great cyl heads!!) with ITB. It picked up 30 hp. What was surprising is that it pulled just fine all the way down to 2500 and the low end torq was just fine.

Dominic Sorresso 02-17-2018 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by BlackRocket (Post 1596609751)
Wow, those intakes that Paul Workman posted are a work of art!

So if these were all fabbed up from stock intakes who makes the one I originally posted the picture of?

BTW, some of those plenums aren’t siamesed at all. Rather the space between the runners has been filled in and then contoured to look as if it is one runner.

Tom400CFI 02-17-2018 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Rkreigh (Post 1596609878)
if you look at the LT5 intake, the air takes a rather abrupt set of changes. air likes straight shot. Look at the c5r through c75 carbon fiber intakes. they have a great design and give the air a straight shot at the port for higher flow

the lt5 intake isn't so bad, but the injector housings (especially on the early cars) have a bigger injector boss as the lt5 originally was slated for a different injector. while you can grind all of this away and pick up a few ponies the lt5 intake is designed more for torq than flow above 6k

so a properly designed ITB gives each port a tapered straight shot, with a bigger throttle plate area. If you look at the lt5 throttle body, we have a nickel size primary, no bueno for anything but sipping through a straw.

With the ITBs it's kinda like big cams (and you need them). You give up lots of low end torq for a fatter top end torq bulge which should make the car faster. It would also provide better access to injectors and I'm looking to go coil on plug with a megasquirt as well. And yes, twin turbos love ITB.

Anyway, it's a pretty expensive experiment and likely to make the car harder to drive unless tuned really well and setup with smaller and longer cross ram style pipes to give the low end. The better flow will give the high end all it needs.

There was a good article on the LS7 (what great cyl heads!!) with ITB. It picked up 30 hp. What was surprising is that it pulled just fine all the way down to 2500 and the low end torq was just fine.

O.K. So what you're REALLY talking about is actually a different intake manifold and configuration. The movement of the throttle plate is an incidental part of the suggestion. Got it. Thanks. I was confused as to how placement of the throttle would affect power...because it wouldn't. :thumbs:

Tom400CFI 02-17-2018 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by BlackRocket (Post 1596609751)

The one in the picture that you posted is a prototype that Lotus had cast for a "next gen" LT5 they were working on. IDK who actually cast that thing.

cv67 02-18-2018 11:31 AM

one pictured sure resembles the 502 GM ramjet

Paul Workman 02-19-2018 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI (Post 1596610729)
The one in the picture that you posted is a prototype that Lotus had cast for a "next gen" LT5 they were working on. IDK who actually cast that thing.

As I recall, Graham Behan said (at a BG gathering) he received that motor in parts from one of his contacts at LOTUS as they were lying around taking up space since the project was cancelled in the mid 90s.

And, according to his presentation at that meeting, IIRC the motor - still a 5.7L LT5 - made ~550 hp at the crank and still maintained its drivability manners!

Vette Guy 04-18-2018 06:50 PM

I'm aware of only 1 other plenum that is filled - and I believe it was in the photos above. My 91 is filled but internally siamesed, and the 95 done by LPE is the real deal - and they dropped the bottom to increase plenum volume. Both make good power, but the 95 makes 620HP / 500TQ from its 385ci.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...5b2b63decc.jpg

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...d43c9adba1.jpg

tpepmeie 04-19-2018 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Vette Guy (Post 1597026812)
Both make good power, but the 95 makes 620HP / 500TQ from its 385ci.

620, is that with the nitrous I see plumbed in there?

FASTAZU 04-20-2018 10:01 AM

That is the crankcase ventilation system on an LT5. Fuel rail under the runners.

FASTAZU 04-20-2018 10:04 AM

LT5 TB

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...f363d21bc1.jpg

tpepmeie 04-20-2018 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by FASTAZU (Post 1597038027)
That is the crankcase ventilation system on an LT5. Fuel rail under the runners.

Actually, no it isn’t. The lines plumbed into the air filter housing in front of the samco duct are a wet nitrous system. Unless we’re talking about two different images. I’m referring to the bottom picture in your post.

Dominic Sorresso 04-20-2018 10:40 AM

Tom,

Some of us run 63mm TB even w 5.7L motor. However, mating surface on plenum side needs to be port matched to the larger TBs in order to have any benefit.

Tom400CFI 04-20-2018 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by FASTAZU (Post 1597038050)

Yep....I know what a throttle body looks like.

So are you guys (Fastasu and Dom) saying that you're pulling a vacuum at WOT in the plenum then? 'Cause guys are running 58mm TB's on stock L98's too....but it doesn't do anything. With a properly sized TB (big enough), you should have atmosphere in your plenum at WOT...and therefore ITB's won't make a whit of difference (in top end hp).

Changing the runner design...that makes a diff...but that's not necessarily about "ITB's"...that's intake design.