CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Question: GM Mag Ride Update? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4103349-question-gm-mag-ride-update.html)

Casey VP26 02-17-2018 09:30 AM

Question: GM Mag Ride Update?

Will folks who had this done, Please post how you feel about the results and was it worth the $350.00. (exactly what did it do for your car?)

Thank You.

BELVIN20 02-17-2018 09:39 AM

Had it done on my 2016 Z, major difference in ride compliance in Tour & Sport mode,to me it changed the personality of the car to make the car handle & ride better. To me it was worth the $350.00

javenius 02-17-2018 04:29 PM

Had is performed on my 15 z51 in November. Wonderful improvement on all roads, slow and fast. Well worth the $350. There are a few threads on this now. Haven't seen anyone who is not pleased with the improved ride.

Jim

buckeye4 02-17-2018 11:50 PM

Done on my FE2 (non-Z51) and concur with all the positive comments, no $350 regrets.

rrsperry 02-18-2018 08:03 AM

Yes I had it done. I think it's worthwhile, I can't say if you would. I absolutely felt that they lowered high speed compression damping about 15% in tour mode. (I haven't driven the car much since last week... so I can't say anything about sport ot track modes.)

bjones7131 02-18-2018 09:35 AM

I am considering it but how does it ride better? Is it a softer ride and dose it soak up bumps better? I had a 16 base stingray and loved the ride but now have a 17 GS and it rides much stiffer and harder on bumps. Does the car ride more like a base stingray after the upgrade, if so I am in but if not, prob. want. Not looking for any better handling in curves etc. Thanks

Checkmate1 02-18-2018 12:04 PM

See link below for my review in the Z06 section -

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...my-review.html

TKgs2010 02-18-2018 01:52 PM

Not to sound uninformed, but is this the factory setting on the 2018 ZO6? If not, I'll definitely get the update on my '18 ZO6. I was under the impression that the 2018's already had this update, or am I mistaken?

Foosh 02-18-2018 02:16 PM

That's not entirely clear but Jim Mero did say the majority of changes were ready for, and released for, '18 production. He went on to say that all the changes weren't finalized until September 2017, and that there were some changes, but the differences would not be dramatic on 18s as much as they are for earlier MY cars. Lastly, he said there would be some changes released for 18s at the end of Q1, but we don't now which models and what yet.

I can say that there is a dramatic MSRC improvement in the 18 I took delivery of 10 days ago over the 14 I traded in. The other question is whether there's a difference between pre-plant-shutdown 18s, and cars built upon reopening, which began production 2 months after Mero finalized all 21 calibrations for the different model variations.

Bikeman 02-18-2018 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Foosh (Post 1596618981)
That's not entirely clear but Jim Mero did say the majority of changes were ready for, and released for, '18 production. He went on to say that all the changes weren't finalized until September 2017, and that there were some changes, but the differences would not be dramatic on 18s as much as they are for earlier MY cars. Lastly, he said there would be some changes released for 18s at the end of Q1, but we don't now which models and what yet.

I can say that there is a dramatic MSRC improvement in the 18 I took delivery of 10 days ago over the 14 I traded in. The other question is whether there's a difference between pre-plant-shutdown 18s, and cars built upon reopening, which began production 2 months after Mero finalized all 21 calibrations for the different model variations.

Thanks, Foosh! Exactly where l am on this issue.you have a post shutdown car and I have one of the last of the preshutdown down cars.I noticed immediately differences in sport and tour especially from my 2015 z51 on the new zo6. Still looking for an answer to any difference for new calibration to be release Q1 from what I have now. As previously if only new calibration is for track with sport and tour the same for all 2018 l will probably pass.Wish I had your paint job. Mines ok except for some of the plastic panels in the usual areas on front fenders.:cheers:

Foosh 02-18-2018 04:13 PM

Yes exactly, the big enhancements I notice are the reductions in harshness and better damping in Tour and Sport, and I'm inclined to agree with you that if there is a further tweak, it may well not be worth the trouble.

TKgs2010 02-19-2018 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Foosh (Post 1596618981)

I can honestly not get a definitive answer as to whether my 2018 ZO6 has this update or not. I was only able to get about 1,200 miles on the car before I put it away for winter, so I won't be able to drive it again until at least late April depending on the weather. I think maybe I'll go right to the top on that question, I'll be in the Corvette corral next month at Sebring and I've met both Harlan Charles and Tadge Juechter a few times and they're both pretty accessible guys so maybe I'll get my answer there. I plan on tracking the car a bit, but also street driving, so I'm very interested to know.

rrsperry 02-19-2018 07:55 AM

Visit or call the dealer and give them your VIN. They should be able to tell you if the car needs, or has the most current programming.

Bikeman 02-19-2018 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by rrsperry (Post 1596623048)
Visit or call the dealer and give them your VIN. They should be able to tell you if the car needs, or has the most current programming.

Good luck with that.

Foosh 02-19-2018 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by TKgs2010 (Post 1596622453)
I can honestly not get a definitive answer as to whether my 2018 ZO6 has this update or not. I was only able to get about 1,200 miles on the car before I put it away for winter, so I won't be able to drive it again until at least late April depending on the weather. I think maybe I'll go right to the top on that question, I'll be in the Corvette corral next month at Sebring and I've met both Harlan Charles and Tadge Juechter a few times and they're both pretty accessible guys so maybe I'll get my answer there. I plan on tracking the car a bit, but also street driving, so I'm very interested to know.

Dealers don't have that info yet because it hasn't been released. Jim Mero (chief chassis engineer) has already said ALL '18 cars do have some of the updated calibrations because he had finished most of the changes and released them in time for '18 production.

Depending upon your model and VIN, 18s may not have the very latest because they weren't finalized until September 2017. It's also possible new plant 18s have the final pkg, and old plant 18s only have the updates that were available prior to 9/17.

The only way to get a definitive answer is to wait until the next bulletin comes out (promised by end of Q1), have the dealer call the tech support # and see if the latest list of available calibrations applies to your 18 VIN.

TXshaggy 02-19-2018 01:12 PM

Went in last week to schedule the update with Gunn Chevy in San Antionio; first question was is your car still in warranty...yes, so they indicate easy peasy. I had the 31 Jan memo in hand and mentioned that it is a 350$ upcharge as a performance part upgrade, but they were standing firm on no charge.

This worried me as I wanted to make sure I got the right stuff and not just some stock reflash. They seemed intelligent and indicated they’ve done some already and the longest part of the process is waiting for GM techline to pick up.

Anyway, stopped in today and had the update done. In/out in about an hour. Understand needs to sit for 8 hours, but initial drive back through Tour/Sport/Track confirmed Tadge’s comments of significant for my 2016 Z06/07. True to their word it cost nothing.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...5c2b6f442.jpeg

pnsnkr 02-19-2018 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by TXshaggy (Post 1596625135)
Went in last week to schedule the update with Gunn Chevy in San Antionio; first question was is your car still in warranty...yes, so they indicate easy peasy. I had the 31 Jan memo in hand and mentioned that it is a 350$ upcharge as a performance part upgrade, but they were standing firm on no charge.

This worried me as I wanted to make sure I got the right stuff and not just some stock reflash. They seemed intelligent and indicated they’ve done some already and the longest part of the process is waiting for GM techline to pick up.

Anyway, stopped in today and had the update done. In/out in about an hour. Understand needs to sit for 8 hours, but initial drive back through Tour/Sport/Track confirmed Tadge’s comments of significant for my 2016 Z06/07. True to their word it cost nothing.

I have a 2016 Z51 + MSRC that is still under warranty. Did they say if this free offer is only for the Z06/07 or is this the case for the Z51's as well?

TXshaggy 02-19-2018 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by pnsnkr (Post 1596625196)
I have a 2016 Z51 + MSRC that is still under warranty. Did they say if this free offer is only for the Z06/07 or is this the case for the Z51's as well?

I didn’t ask about other Vettes. They referenced the original memo that came out last fall that noted no cost to customer. Of note I didn’t buy my Z from them so this wasn’t a deal just for me.

c54u 02-19-2018 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by TXshaggy (Post 1596625269)

I didn’t ask about other Vettes. They referenced the original memo that came out last fall that noted no cost to customer. Of note I didn’t buy my Z from them so this wasn’t a deal just for me.

The key words on your work order say "may contain defective software for magnetic ride control".

This would make it a warranty claim in my opinion. Thus no charge.

rim17 02-20-2018 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Casey VP26 (Post 1596610693)
Will folks who had this done, Please post how you feel about the results and was it worth the $350.00. (exactly what did it do for your car?)

Thank You.

I just had the upgrade done on my 2017, gs,vert. Imo, prior to the upgrade, touring mode felt a bit floaty. After, it feels better. The float feel has been eliminated and it now feels like it rides much more level over bumps and uneven road. In sport mode however, It feels like it's taughter than before, but too significantly different. I haven't tried it in track yet though. So, bottom line, if $350 won't break the bank, get it. It's probably a no brainer if you're going to track it.