CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   [C2] BA9's Dash Flutter (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/4103741-ba9s-dash-flutter.html)

woodsdesign 02-18-2018 10:09 AM

BA9's Dash Flutter

I replaced my dash bulbs with LED BA9's about a year ago. I love the way they light up the instrument cluster. However, I noticed a flutter when I was on a rough road. I thought one or two of the sockets were loose in the holes but when I checked it out I found that some of the bulbs were loose in the sockets . Now I suspect that that is the reason for the flutter.
Has anyone else experienced this? Anybody have an idea of how I could tighten them. Maybe foil??. It is an Electric Limited harness. So maybe it is a case of two aftermarket items causing the issue.

Frankie the Fink 02-18-2018 10:22 AM

I don't know what's on the bottom of the LED dash bulbs...if its the typical contact solder 'bulb' contact -- like parking and tail lights, you can heat them up and add solder to the 'bulb' for a better connection and tighter fit. If you add too much its very soft and you can file the 'bulb' down with a jeweler's file quite easily...

woodsdesign 02-18-2018 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink (Post 1596617534)
I don't know what's on the bottom of the LED dash bulbs...if its the typical contact solder 'bulb' contact -- like parking and tail lights, you can heat them up and add solder to the 'bulb' for a better connection and tighter fit. If you add too much its very soft and you can file the 'bulb' down with a jeweler's file quite easily...

I did try the soldering. It did not work well. I was concerned that the bulb would overheat from the iron. It appears that the side tits are a little smaller.

Frankie the Fink 02-18-2018 12:23 PM

Small tits are always a problem.

Bluestripe67 02-18-2018 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink (Post 1596618281)

:rofl:

426 Hemi 02-18-2018 12:50 PM

Can you stretch the spring in the socket?

SoCalErv 02-18-2018 05:23 PM

Very concerned with this post as I am finishing the cluster restoration and have used the same LED's. I was concerned with a few of them not securely fitting in the sockets.

I will be monitoring this post before I reinstall the cluster.

Frankie the Fink 02-18-2018 05:40 PM

Well - I hate to even mention bubble gum wrappers or tin foil wrapped around the bulb sockets... The dash bulbs have one contact on the bottom...even if the prongs are a bit loose there should be enough socket spring pressure to make contact. Are you completely sure you're dash headlight switch rheostat is clean and uncorroded ?

I'm just sayin'

babbah 02-19-2018 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink (Post 1596618281)

:iagree::D

woodsdesign 02-19-2018 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink (Post 1596620114)
Well - I hate to even mention bubble gum wrappers or tin foil wrapped around the bulb sockets... The dash bulbs have one contact on the bottom...even if the prongs are a bit loose there should be enough socket spring pressure to make contact. Are you completely sure you're dash headlight switch rheostat is clean and uncorroded ?

I'm just sayin'

I installed a new HL switch last year. I will investigate stretching the spring but I think it is the damn little tit thing. Like the other guys mentioned little tits are a big problem.