CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Need Exhaust Advice (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/4104134-need-exhaust-advice.html)

blwnvette 02-19-2018 11:23 AM

Need Exhaust Advice

Hi I have a 2007 Z51 C6, I purchased LG 1" 7/8 3" Header/x-pipe. I'm looking for a axle back now i love the sound of the Billy Boat Bullets but afraid itll be too loud for daily driving and I don't want to wake the neighbors at 6am. I was looking at the LG GT4 axle back the Flowmaster Outlaw and Billy Boat PRT would anyone be able to give me any advice on a nice axle back.

oAllElseFailo 02-19-2018 11:26 AM

can't comment on an axle back but have you considered going the NPP route to control the sound?

blwnvette 02-19-2018 11:29 AM

I wouldn't mind going the NPP route would I have to modify anything being my car is the z51 without NPP stock? Also the Fusion Gen3 is what i was looking at if i did go the NPP route but wasnt sure.

oAllElseFailo 02-19-2018 11:35 AM

I don't have the NPP either, i just run with my car loud. But when i was doing the whole headers ordeal, the guy installing told me he just had to install the mufflers that had the NPP valves and connect it to the car. Sounded pretty straight forward from him.

blwnvette 02-19-2018 12:49 PM

Awesome thanks much I appreciate it a lot.

Adam Cifonelli 02-19-2018 01:05 PM

You would need the NPP mufflers obviously. Then you would need to buy NPP in a box kit to hook it up. Around 250 bucs.. then for another 50 bucs you can get the mild to wild switch if so desired.

rickmorris 02-19-2018 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by blwnvette (Post 1596624355)
Hi I have a 2007 Z51 C6, I purchased LG 1" 7/8 3" Header/x-pipe. I'm looking for a axle back now i love the sound of the Billy Boat Bullets but afraid itll be too loud for daily driving and I don't want to wake the neighbors at 6am. I was looking at the LG GT4 axle back the Flowmaster Outlaw and Billy Boat PRT would anyone be able to give me any advice on a nice axle back.

I'm selling a C6 Flowmaster axle back exhaust. I don't know how it will compare with yours for sound. But if you want to try it, check my advert.

BigMonkey73 02-19-2018 02:16 PM

Billy Boat Fusion with NPP in a box (comes with M2W switch) is what I have. I used to have the Bullets, but drone finally made me sell them. Fusion is perfect solution!!

Or OEM NPP with NPP In a box kit is another route to go.

blwnvette 02-19-2018 02:22 PM

ill look into it I'm leaning towards the LG GT4 though so far. Since i have the LG Headers/Xpipe

Turbo6TA 02-19-2018 02:39 PM

I can only give you my experience with headers and NPP ...

I have a 2011 GS (A6) with the optional NPP. I have always been happy with the NPP until I installed a set of headers on the car.

With the NPP operating normally, the car was really not that much louder than when it had the stock exhaust manifolds.

But ... with the headers and the car at wide open throttle (WOT), it was obnoxiously loud when the NPP valves would open.

My fix was to remove the NPP mufflers and install a set of Borla "Touring" mufflers .... Now at WOT, the car has a great sound, but not "In Your Face" loud like before.

Dcasole 02-19-2018 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Cifonelli (Post 1596625079)
You would need the NPP mufflers obviously. Then you would need to buy NPP in a box kit to hook it up. Around 250 bucs.. then for another 50 bucs you can get the mild to wild switch if so desired.

You don't need for a mild to wild switch ......NPP in a box has everything you need to convert a non NPP car yo a NPP car ...

Mild to Wild is only for a car that has factory equipped NPP

Dave

Dcasole 02-19-2018 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA (Post 1596625805)

I have a 2011 GS (A6) with the optional NPP. I have always been happy with the NPP until I installed a set of headers on the car.

With the NPP operating normally, the car was really not that much louder than when it had the stock exhaust manifolds.

But ... with the headers and the car at wide open throttle (WOT), it was obnoxiously loud when the NPP valves would open.

My fix was to remove the NPP mufflers and install a set of Borla "Touring" mufflers .... Now at WOT, the car has a great sound, but not "In Your Face" loud like before.

Is that not the purpose of having NPP , quiet when you want it to be and sounds like Satan banging on the gates of hell when open :thumbs:

Dave

Turbo6TA 02-19-2018 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Dcasole (Post 1596625895)

Is that not the purpose of having NPP , quiet when you want it to be and sounds like Satan banging on the gates of hell when open :thumbs:

Dave

Well, that might be, but I was really suprised at how much louder the NPP system was at WOT when the catted headers were installed vs the OEM exhaust manifolds.

Again, when the NPP valves were closed, it was not really noticably louder after the header install ... but, the combo of headers and NPP valves full open at WOT was just too loud for me.

Oh well ...

Turbo6TA 02-19-2018 03:53 PM

Anyway, a certain member of the Corvette forum here got a great deal on my NPP mufflers when he picked them up at my house .... $ 350 I think it was

Adam Cifonelli 02-19-2018 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Dcasole (Post 1596625875)
You don't need for a mild to wild switch ......NPP in a box has everything you need to convert a non NPP car yo a NPP car ...

Mild to Wild is only for a car that has factory equipped NPP

Dave

Didnt mean he needed it.. just if he desired it or not.

RagTop69 02-19-2018 04:45 PM

My '09 didn't have the NPP option either. I looked at the BB Fusion setup, but the total price of the exhaust system would have been around $1,900 plus installation. I finally settled on the QTP low profile remote electric cutouts. The whole thing cost me $800 installed ($400 for the cutouts and $400 for the install) and it is exactly what I was looking for. The cutouts are on the up pipes between the rear CATs and the A6 transmission. When they are open they are moderately loud because they are behind the two CATs/side, but they can be adjusted to be partially open. When they are closed my C6 is back to sounding stock (sorta like a Toyota Camry). I run mine mostly cracked open because I really don't mind the rumble and drone on the highway.

BTW, I liked these cutouts so much I installed a pair of them on my '69 Mustang. I had the old bolt on type cutouts on the car for years, but climbing under the car to open them was just getting too much for my 72 yr. old body. These are mounted just after the collectors for my tri-Y headers and they make an ungodly racket. One of my buddies described it as "rude". I was sitting next to a guy in a Masaratti convertible at a stop light a couple of weeks back and he kept looking over at my old '69 ragtop. It lopes pretty hard on the aftermarket cam. I figured "What the hell" and pressed the remote button for "open". I sure hope those seats of his were washable based on his reaction.:rofl:

JetstreamGS 02-19-2018 07:48 PM

Corsa ftw!

AORoads 02-19-2018 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA (Post 1596625805)

I've always liked Borla's Touring axle or even catbacks (not on C6s). But, do they still make them? I've seen that for some cars, they don't. Just asking. :cheers:

blwnvette 02-20-2018 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by JetstreamGS (Post 1596628054)
Corsa ftw!

I don't really like the sound of the corsa