CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   C6 Z06 worth the upgrade? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/4104504-c6-z06-worth-the-upgrade.html)

Scholioso 02-20-2018 01:27 AM

C6 Z06 worth the upgrade?

Hey guys. So this may not be the place to post this, but here's my dilemma. I have a 97 vette, black exterior, black interior, 6 speed. It has 163k on it, still drives great, daily driver. I just had the trans rebuilt, ls7 clutch, tick master, rebuilt torque tube, etc. I baby this thing. Also just replaced all brake rotors and pads. This thing is awesome, but it's a 97 and her age is showing. Needs paint and some body work mainly. Other than that, clean title, she's been good to me.

However, I've been looking at upgrading. We all want to go faster. I've looked into LS2 swaps, LS3 swaps, LS7 swaps, etc. However, all of them still sound like a boat load of money as well as I still just have a 97 C5. So then I started looking into newer C6's. Then I discovered the LS7 and fell in love with that exhaust note. I always loved the old big block 454's and 460's due to the loud deep grumble. So I searched and found one that's within my price range and what I want. (Black exterior, black interior, black wheels, 6 speed, etc) However, I'm not sure if it's worth it?

I have heard a lot of guys that have both or have driven both complain about how the C6 is essentially just an updated C5? While I know there are similitaries between the two, 97 and 07 is 10 years apart. Idk, what do ya'll think? Is the C6 Z06 really worth all that?

1999corvettels1 02-20-2018 01:44 AM

I say go drive it and see.

Remember to see if heads/valves have been fixed.

Verrückt ZR1 02-20-2018 10:10 AM

Definitely worth it. The C6Z is better in every way than your standard C5 anything. If looks and price aren't an issue, then go drive that bad boy and you'll know right away. Good luck. :cheers:

Vetteman Jack 02-20-2018 10:18 AM

Only way to know is is to drive one. IMO, the C6 Z06 is a definite upgrade over the C5. It would be one of three C6s that I would consider (a GS and ZR1 are the other two). I’m like you - not sure I would sink a boat load of money into a 21 year old car and I’m a big fan of the C5.

sstonebreaker 02-20-2018 10:24 AM

Depends on what works for you. My personal opinion, if I were in your shoes, I'd take the budget I was going to spend on the LS7 and see what's possible on the C5. Only then would I make a decision on which one would suit me better. Chances are you could make your current car faster and better looking than the LS7 for the same amount of money; but if you want the LS7, then go for it. Do whatever makes you happiest.

1999corvettels1 02-20-2018 10:42 AM

I drove a 2009 Z06 once in a small town and liked it a lot, right after C6 Z06 I drove my 1999 6 speed convertible I noticed it felt slow.

What I liked about the C6 Z06 was the extra power/torque.

After that I got the idea I wanted to swap in a LS7, but never did. Lol

Verrückt ZR1 02-20-2018 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by sstonebreaker (Post 1596631558)
Depends on what works for you. My personal opinion, if I were in your shoes, I'd take the budget I was going to spend on the LS7 and see what's possible on the C5. Only then would I make a decision on which one would suit me better. Chances are you could make your current car faster and better looking than the LS7 for the same amount of money; but if you want the LS7, then go for it. Do whatever makes you happiest.

This would be tricky. The C6Z has so much more going for it than straight line acceleration. I don't think you could match it's performance easily, without spending a small fortune on the car from front to back. If someone wants to dump tens of thousands into a twenty year old platform, more power to them. Just understand that you'll likely never see a penny of that money again. :D

ArmchairArchitect 02-20-2018 12:09 PM

I was in the same dilemma last year...chose the C5 Z06 as it's a good $15k-$20k less than the C6 version, and to me the C6 Z06 was not worth that much of a premium considering how well the C5 Z06 already performs.

~Josh 02-20-2018 12:13 PM

I've got two in the shop right now with blown engines. One dropped a valve and the other broke the block around the lifter boss (needs a new block).

The C6 cars in general have more little electrical crap to go wrong, door pads to get in/out, ignition switch, fuse box issues, etc.

Also keep in mind the brakes, tires, on a Z are more expensive than C5 stuff. I know a couple guys that daily drive a C6z and the costs over time are eating them alive.

I personally sold my 09z but still have my 01z.

To me, sure get it as a weekend toy, but not as a daily driver. In your shoes maybe dump the one you have and get another C5 with lower miles.

lane_viper 02-20-2018 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by ~Josh (Post 1596632435)
I've got two in the shop right now with blown engines. One dropped a valve and the other broke the block around the lifter boss (needs a new block).

The C6 cars in general have more little electrical crap to go wrong, door pads to get in/out, ignition switch, fuse box issues, etc.

Also keep in mind the brakes, tires, on a Z are more expensive than C5 stuff. I know a couple guys that daily drive a C6z and the costs over time are eating them alive.

I personally sold my 09z but still have my 01z.

To me, sure get it as a weekend toy, but not as a daily driver. In your shoes maybe dump the one you have and get another C5 with lower miles.

This is sound advice. The Valve guide thing has really scared me away from the LS7, even if it's overblown.

C6Z's were out of my budget when I was looking, but I feel it was a blessing cause now I don't want one.

If you decide to replace your C5 with another one, look at C5Z's. I love mine.

Scholioso 02-20-2018 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect (Post 1596632409)
I was in the same dilemma last year...chose the C5 Z06 as it's a good $15k-$20k less than the C6 version, and to me the C6 Z06 was not worth that much of a premium considering how well the C5 Z06 already performs.

True. However, (I'm gonna get eaten alive for saying this), I'm not a fan of the C5 Z06's look/exterior wise. They just don't look right. I love the long sloping back glass of my base C5. Anothe thing with the C5z is the brake ducts in the rear, just look like a cheesy afterthought. I saw a guy that had a FRC and I thought it was a Z because he had knockoff fake brake ducts. Just not appealing to my eye.

Second, the price between a base C5 and a C5z is too much for so little in my opinoin. Keep in mind, I don't track my car, it's a fun daily driver. I just wanted more reliable power. I've looked into engine swaps and done research. However, everything I find it seems like it all adds up quick. And even if I do get good deals on everything, at the end of the day I still have a 97 vette with 163k on the clock that still needs paint, plastic interior is slowly falling apart, door panels are all wrinkly, etc, etc, etc.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, who knows) the 07 Z I was going to go look at was sold before I was able to take a look at it. So there goes that one. Oh well, I'll keep my eye out for another! Thanks guys!

Yokesc5 02-20-2018 02:23 PM

Im new, in a way and You said; “I found one ,in my target range AND what I want. Sounds way ahead of where Iam now and I first looked at Corvettes about 2000 n went to bikes, but getting there, if it was me , knowing what you know, it seems you answered your own question, if that helps any.

4XLR8N 02-20-2018 02:52 PM

On two separate occasions in the past, I was given the opportunity to drive LS-7 C6's for a week. One was a black Z and the other was a white 427 'vert. Both cars were completely stock and both were absolute beasts. The sound and the power were intoxicating...and I agree with a previous poster who stated that his C5 felt slow after driving the LS-7. Yep.

On the other side of the coin, I have done a TON of reading on the LS-7 valve issues. Enough reading that I am no longer interested in owning one. A damn shame too, 'cause that engine is incredible. Even ones that have been "fixed" I see too many repeat failures. Not always. But enough that I don't feel like rolling the dice.

If I get a C6 it will be a GS. Love the looks and the LS-3 is no slouch either...and easily upgraded to LS-7 power levels if that is what you want. I suggest you drive a GS and see what you think.

Keep us updated on your search. Good luck. :cheers:

Velocity_Vette 02-20-2018 03:07 PM

Personally if it were me and I were thinking about a C6 Z06 I'd go check out an early C6 Grand Sport. None of the major engine head aches that the Z06 has while still having a lot of Z06 goodies like the wide body and suspension/brakes. Plus if you're so inclined you can find them with both an auto and convertible unlike the C6 Z06.

A lot of C6 GS owners have kept their cars in exceptionally good shape and early GS models in lower trims are starting to dip sub $30K. It's still pretty difficult to find a C6 Z06 sub $30K unless it's higher mileage or has issues.

Shaolin Crane 02-20-2018 03:14 PM

I have an LS7 ready to go into my FRC and I'm still looking to get a C6Z, they're overall nicer cars. The Z had quite a bit more improvements over base C5/6 cars that aren't just engine.

capevettes 02-20-2018 04:13 PM

I had a C6 Z06 for several years. It is a beast and you will love it. The head issue only affected some. I never had an issue with mine. I moved on to a C7 Z and it is a better car, but I loved that C6 Z. The acceleration is explosive between 4,000 and 7,000 RPM's. The wide body look is superior to the base C6. It is also a great handling car. As much as I like the C5 platform, the C6 Z is a better car. You can get into an 06 or 07 with fairly low miles in the mid to upper 30's.
My old Z:

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...36e85e6ae5.jpg

neutron82 02-20-2018 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by lane_viper (Post 1596633147)
This is sound advice. The Valve guide thing has really scared me away from the LS7, even if it's overblown.

C6Z's were out of my budget when I was looking, but I feel it was a blessing cause now I don't want one.

If you decide to replace your C5 with another one, look at C5Z's. I love mine.

the valves are only one issue, you still have to worry about the block itself... the cylinder liners are thin and are known to crack when a considerable amount of power is added... if it were me buying I would sell the ls7 for a good chunk of change and use that to build an ls3 or just buy a manual grand sport which is pretty much a z06 with an ls3

MWWarlord 02-20-2018 11:04 PM

I'd say sell the older C5 and buy an '03 or '04 C5 with low miles and an A&A supercharger kit. You should have more than enough power to keep you happy for awhile.

Shaolin Crane 02-20-2018 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by neutron82 (Post 1596636734)
the valves are only one issue, you still have to worry about the block itself... the cylinder liners are thin and are known to crack when a considerable amount of power is added... if it were me buying I would sell the ls7 for a good chunk of change and use that to build an ls3 or just buy a manual grand sport which is pretty much a z06 with an ls3

While I built my LS7 with an LS3 block for that reason I doubt it's really a problem if you aren't going FI, which is silly anyhow considering the 11:1 compression. All the cylinder wall issues I've seen were on big HP boosted cars, anyone shooting for a huge number should have iron anyway.

The GS option isn't a bad one, but the 4" stroke of the Z is magical.

evolmotorsprt 02-21-2018 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by Scholioso (Post 1596629906)
Hey guys. So this may not be the place to post this, but here's my dilemma. I have a 97 vette, black exterior, black interior, 6 speed. It has 163k on it, still drives great, daily driver. I just had the trans rebuilt, ls7 clutch, tick master, rebuilt torque tube, etc. I baby this thing. Also just replaced all brake rotors and pads. This thing is awesome, but it's a 97 and her age is showing. Needs paint and some body work mainly. Other than that, clean title, she's been good to me.

However, I've been looking at upgrading. We all want to go faster. I've looked into LS2 swaps, LS3 swaps, LS7 swaps, etc. However, all of them still sound like a boat load of money as well as I still just have a 97 C5. So then I started looking into newer C6's. Then I discovered the LS7 and fell in love with that exhaust note. I always loved the old big block 454's and 460's due to the loud deep grumble. So I searched and found one that's within my price range and what I want. (Black exterior, black interior, black wheels, 6 speed, etc) However, I'm not sure if it's worth it?

I have heard a lot of guys that have both or have driven both complain about how the C6 is essentially just an updated C5? While I know there are similitaries between the two, 97 and 07 is 10 years apart. Idk, what do ya'll think? Is the C6 Z06 really worth all that?

Short answer: Yes. Say it with me, 427... I think it'll go down as one of the greats.