CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Is the paint peeling off on my 2018 374 mile Z06? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4104675-is-the-paint-peeling-off-on-my-2018-374-mile-z06.html)

Zo62018A8 02-20-2018 02:04 PM

Is the paint peeling off on my 2018 374 mile Z06?

3 Attachment(s)
I have to take the car in for the 500 mile oil change soon. It definitely looks like its coming off near the left headlight. Shouldn't this be a warranty issue on a car that is less than 2 months old, 2018 model year with 374 miles???

Snowwolfe 02-20-2018 02:11 PM

Absolutely a warranty issue. They will repair it. Make sure they do it properly or have them redue it until they do.

Maxie2U 02-20-2018 02:16 PM

There have been MANY threads discussing this problem. It’s due to bad fitment. It’s covered under warranty but it does mean a bit of repaint.

Zo62018A8 02-20-2018 02:30 PM

I had the whole car ceramic coated soon as I got it and paid good money for that. What do I do to address that ? Even if they fix it I’ll have to spend money to get the ceramic coating done AGAIN that was just done last month 😢

Foosh 02-20-2018 02:33 PM

What is your build date?

3 Z06ZR1 02-20-2018 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Maxie2U (Post 1596633313)
There have been MANY threads discussing this problem. It’s due to bad fitment. It’s covered under warranty but it does mean a bit of repaint.

I thought it was determined to be the panels not being prepped well enough on the edges. The paint simply is not sticking on the edges
in some areas. Not from any fitment issue.
Sad to say but it has been said to just touch the seam up with some touch up paint!

Avanti 02-20-2018 02:37 PM

I only hope you have a dealership with or access to a competent paint shop or they'll consistently make it worse.

As for the ceramics... tough luck. They have no responsibility for that. In this case, you'd have been reinforced for being a procrastinator. Best of luck, in any event.

rsvette12 02-20-2018 02:38 PM

Thats pretty sad - GM needs to up Their game - I had a real paint job done on my widebody conversion

Foosh 02-20-2018 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1 (Post 1596633461)
I thought it was determined to be the panels not being prepped well enough on the edges. The paint simply is not sticking on the edges
in some areas. Not from any fitment issue.
Sad to say but it has been said to just touch the seam up with some touch up paint!

I believe that's correct, which is why inquired about the build date of the car. About half the 18s were built and painted in the old plant before it closed in July 2017. The other half were built and painted in the re-tooled factory and entirely new from the ground up paint plant when it re-opened in November 2017.

I haven't seen any reports of chipping or paint issues in cars from the new paint plant as of yet, and virtually everyone who's seen one reports the new paint finishes are greatly improved. Hopefully, that means GM has "upped their game."

Zo62018A8 02-20-2018 03:10 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Is the build date on one of these documents ?

Foosh 02-20-2018 03:15 PM

The month and year built will be on your driver door panel placard near the door latch, but I can tell from the VIN that it is a car built before the plant closure and painted in the old plant.

If you look at the bottom of your first picture in the column where it says Torch Red, it looks like the panels were painted in Feb 2017. They are often painted well before assembly.

NashvilleGrandSport 02-20-2018 03:46 PM

I had mine repainted by the dealer before taking delivery at their body shop. No problems since delivery in November on my 17 GS.

They said they had done 6 with similar issue and there were three more on the lot with the same problem.

As for the ceramic coating, I'd say you're not going to get any help with that from GM. There was another thread with the owner raising a similar clear bra question, and GM said no.

Keppler 02-20-2018 04:13 PM

If that paint defect is on the front fascia panel the factory will send a factory painted panel to your dealer.

I had the exact same problem at the same location on my 2017 Z06 last spring. The factory sent a factory painted panel.

I agree that it is actually a paint adhesion problem.

NashvilleGrandSport 02-20-2018 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Keppler (Post 1596634139)
If that paint defect is on the front fascia panel the factory will send a factory painted panel to your dealer.

I had the exact same problem at the same location on my 2017 Z06 last spring. The factory sent a factory painted panel.

I agree that it is actually a paint adhesion problem.

My dealer would not go that route. They repainted the bumper themselves after proper prep in their body shop and gave me a written lifetime warranty.

Jeffthunbird 02-20-2018 06:51 PM

The dealer should be able to test paint adhesion. Obviously it ain't stickin tho so.. .

Cadigti 02-20-2018 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Foosh (Post 1596633723)
The month and year built will be on your driver door panel placard near the door latch, but I can tell from the VIN that it is a car built before the plant closure and painted in the old plant.

If you look at the bottom of your first picture in the column where it says Torch Red, it looks like the panels were painted in Feb 2017. They are often painted well before assembly.

Foosh, do you know what number VIN for 2018 MY begins new paint shop? I am debating on a 2018 in Stock Grand Sport vs ordering a 2019. Criswell Chevy in Gaithersburg Md told me “all 2018 MY” are new paint shop. In my past life I spent 10 years in Detroit as GM OEM supplier quality mgr. I spent a lot of time in GM assembly plants, Corvette assembly plant excepted.

Thank you

Ed

Always Red Dave 02-20-2018 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by desibaba (Post 1596633434)
I had the whole car ceramic coated soon as I got it and paid good money for that. What do I do to address that ? Even if they fix it I’ll have to spend money to get the ceramic coating done AGAIN that was just done last month ��

I would never let them repaint and take my bumper and fenders apart! Just use this method on that small area.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...edc4653a48.png

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...6e21233336.jpg

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...b561ec4188.jpg

Keppler 02-20-2018 10:24 PM

On my car the dealer suggested either remove and paint the entire fascia panel or just lift that corner, sand, respray with an air brush, and buff.

Somehow I obtained the email address of the Corvette brand Quality Control Manger at Bowling Green and sent him an email. With another email exchange he had a new factory panel shipping to me.

sTz 02-20-2018 10:27 PM

Many were having a similar issue surrounding the Z06 side vents too. If it’s just in the one location, then I tend to agree w/Dave ^^^, unless they are going to completely replace the panel, which some reported that they have in the past. There are several related threads to gather further information on possible remedies. Nonetheless, it’s definitely a warranty matter...

Keppler 02-20-2018 10:43 PM

^^^
Yep, last spring and summer there were a few threads going about this. I am surprised this issue is still around a year later.

I was going to go with the touch up until I found out about the factory painted panel replacement.