CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Orange peel on new car (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4104839-orange-peel-on-new-car.html)

mountainears 02-21-2018 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Billy346 (Post 1596637915)
What's the big deal? If the orange peel bugs you that much, just take it to a good detail shop and have the paint corrected and ceramic coated. For a mere $1200.00, you can have near perfect paint. For the discount new Corvettes are selling at these days, the additional $1200.00 will not bring the total cost paid for the car anywhere near the sticker price.

OP can't be fixed with paint correction and ceramic coating. It can be made to look less obvious, but to really get rid of OP it requires sanding and/or putting on more clear coat then sanding. The factory finish just doesn't leave a lot of room in some areas for it, should be done by someone with experience and there is a risk.

Different colors, different factory days, different lighting conditions, different levels of OP. As FOOSH mentioned, pretty much every mass produced production car has some level of OP on it. There can be some exceptions, like with some Lexus models where they actually do some detailed sanding of the car during their production....

I like how people talk on here about seeing pictures of cars that don't have OP, very difficult to see OP in photos. Or I should say it is very easy to take pictures of cars that don't show it. I have many pictures of my car where it just looks like a mirror....if you look in person, you can see the OP.

The problem with OP is that once you see it, you can't unsee it. Stop looking for it and you'll be a much happier person.

rmorin1249 02-21-2018 10:32 AM

The paint on my wife's Lexus RX is close to perfect as any car we've owned. It was assembled in Canada.

TorchZ51 02-21-2018 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Maxie2U (Post 1596636722)
I’ve seen a bunch of pics from new owners whose cars were painted in the new paint shop. They looked amazing damm near a mirror finish.

In fact, I would NOT buy a C7 now if it was not painted in the new shop even if they gave a big discount.

You must have quite the calibrated set of eyes to see orange peel from a picture. :funnypost:

ssidekickbp 02-21-2018 11:25 AM

So now we have quotes on here saying " I would not buy a C7 unless it was painted in the new paint shop" ??

:shrug: I guess anyone with a 14' thru some 18's are suddenly inferior... NOT

Always Red Dave 02-21-2018 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by ssidekickbp (Post 1596639665)
So now we have quotes on here saying " I would not buy a C7 unless it was painted in the new paint shop" ??

:shrug: I guess anyone with a 14' thru some 18's are suddenly inferior... NOT

:lol::rofl::lol::rofl:

Zymurgy 02-21-2018 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by TorchZ51 (Post 1596639628)

You must have quite the calibrated set of eyes to see orange peel from a picture. :funnypost:

Actually, OP is very easy to spot in photos. Especially if taken under fluorescent light and at obtuse angles to the surface.

Foosh 02-21-2018 11:34 AM

I agree this is silly. I thought my '14 looked great, and my new paint plant '18 looks great. I tend to focus on the whole car, and when you do that, you don't really see the differences. It's only when you're under bright lights and doing a "microscopic" examination of the surface from all angles can the differences really be discerned.

Being a realistic person, I was/am completely happy with both.

TorchZ51 02-21-2018 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by ssidekickbp (Post 1596638145)
I think some guys have very unrealistic expectations for the finish on these cars, even with the new paint shop... :beatdeadhorse:

I agree, as I just looked a brand spanking new 19 GS in the showroom of my local dealer. Still a moderate level of OP as with every other GM model sitting in the showroom.

Always Red Dave 02-21-2018 11:38 AM

I don't care about OP.:withstupid::withstupid::withstupid:

ssidekickbp 02-21-2018 11:50 AM

Seriously, more guys need to get out there and drive these cars instead of thinking they are ONLY show pieces. Buy a BBR Die-cast for that.

Also a little bit of knowledge, at any true sanctioned shows, the judges flat out tell you any blemish or build quality issue from the factory is better to leave alone for the cars originality...

Not saying one view is completely right or wrong, I'm too busy enjoying the car for what it's made for.

glava2876 02-21-2018 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by ojm (Post 1596635972)
Had a few minuts so checked out a car at the dealer, my goodness could I ever see the orange peel, I was just wondering if orange peels is more prevalent on fiberglass?

One looked at was new 2018 salesman said he did not know much about new gm paint shop..either did I before read this forum.
There were other high end cars with great paint also.

I have three Black GM vehicles; 2015 Corvette, 2015 GMC Sierra Denali, 2017 Cadillac XT5. All three have some orange peel if you look for it and the Corvette is no better or worse than the other two.
I enjoy all three of these cars and would by them again in a minute.

Always Red Dave 02-21-2018 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by ssidekickbp (Post 1596639928)
Seriously, more guys need to get out there and drive these cars instead of thinking they are ONLY show pieces. Buy a BBR Die-cast for that.

Also a little bit of knowledge, at any true sanctioned shows, the judges flat out tell you any blemish or build quality issue from the factory is better to leave alone for the cars originality...

Not saying one view is completely right or wrong, I'm too busy enjoying the car for what it's made for.

:iagree:100%

ojm 02-21-2018 12:36 PM

It makes sense for me to check when new car was painted,,since there should be improvements. It has nothing to do with any other points.

I likely viewed a very bad paint job, my post did say off the bat there were great cars in showroom.

Allpro 02-21-2018 12:44 PM

If you don't mind my asking, what was the color you were looking at?

ojm 02-21-2018 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Allpro (Post 1596640403)
If you don't mind my asking, what was the color you were looking at?

Yea was black, I'm thinking may be it shows op more if look?
Two things made me pass, was a dull black and op.
I admit op is to be expected, the car viewed looked like scales on a salmon. If you were a coin collector would say "fishscale"

Maxie2U 02-21-2018 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Foosh (Post 1596637185)
I've said it over and over and over again here, but here's another in a chain of endless threads on OP, so I have to say it again. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A MASS-PRODUCED CAR WITHOUT ORANGE PEEL.

The ONLY way to get an OP-less paint job is to first hand sand the unpainted panels and make them glassy smooth. Then you must shoot primer, and wet-sand that. Then base-coat, followed by wet-sand and polish. And, finally clear or tint-coat followed by wet-sanding again and polish.

It is a human-intensive process that takes 40+ hours, starting at about $30K for paint alone. Robots can't do it because it takes human eyeballs. If you expect that on a car the price of a C7, you are delusional.

Having said that, my new C7 painted in the new paint shop is MUCH better than my 14 painted in the old paint shop. It's probably 60-80% better. However, it still has OP, just not nearly as noticeable (less texture).

The new paint shop is now producing finishes comparable in quality to the better German and Japanese marques. However, SMC panels will always be more difficult to produce a great finish on than metal-bodied cars. I don't care, because I'd rather have a lighter weight car.

I have never seen a mass-produced car, no BMW, no MB, no Porsche, no Lexus, no Infiniti, no anything under $400K+ cars and very pricey show cars w/o OP.

:iagree:

ojm 02-21-2018 07:09 PM

It would be silly not to confirm where new car was painted, improved paint facility.I have several cars/bikes no need to rush a purchase.

Zymurgy 02-21-2018 07:17 PM

If it is a 2019, it was painted in the new shop. If it is a 2018 built after the plant re-opened, it is almost 100% certain that it was painted in the new shop. Only 13 cars were built right after the plant re-opened using panels painted in the old shop.

ojm 02-21-2018 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Zymurgy (Post 1596643073)
If it is a 2019, it was painted in the new shop. If it is a 2018 built after the plant re-opened, it is almost 100% certain that it was painted in the new shop. Only 13 cars were built right after the plant re-opened using panels painted in the old shop.

The model looked was in Canada 2018, if salesman see's my email may reply with sn...no reply yet. thanks

I did note that other cars on showroom looked super but they were above my target price.

dyoung 02-21-2018 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Foosh (Post 1596639768)
I agree this is silly. I thought my '14 looked great, and my new paint plant '18 looks great. I tend to focus on the whole car, and when you do that, you don't really see the differences. It's only when you're under bright lights and doing a "microscopic" examination of the surface from all angles can the differences really be discerned.

Being a realistic person, I was/am completely happy with both.

Foosh is right.

I custom ordered both of my C7's. You don't get to see them until they arrive and you never know what you will get, but both of them were ok. ( like almost all of the 120,000 plus c7's painted in the old shop )

It appears that some people put up all kinds of road blocks to actually committing to purchase.

Think about what they are missing.