CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Nail in run flat (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4104975-nail-in-run-flat.html)

guido7834 02-21-2018 08:06 AM

Nail in run flat

I have a nail in the tread area of a front tire. I've read many posts here that it can be patched/plugged from the inside. I've called Michelin and GM. Both said this is true. Called Discount tire today (two locations) and they tell me a run flat can not be repaired. (company Policy)
Can anyone clear this up for me? It's just a small screw. I don't track the car, it's a weekend driver. 2017 base Stingray.

Thanks

juanvaldez 02-21-2018 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by guido7834 (Post 1596638240)
I have a nail in the tread area of a front tire. I've read many posts here that it can be patched/plugged from the inside. I've called Michelin and GM. Both said this is true. Called Discount tire today (two locations) and they tell me a run flat can not be repaired. (company Policy)
Can anyone clear this up for me? It's just a small screw. I don't track the car, it's a weekend driver. 2017 base Stingray.

Thanks

Call a different Discount Tire. I have had two different run-flats repaired on my '16 Z51 coupe by Discount Tire, both for free!

PatternDayTrader 02-21-2018 08:11 AM

I wouldn't even take the tire off the car.
Just put a tire plug in the hole and see what happens.
I'm betting it will be just fine, if its not then it shouldn't leave you stranded anyway and you can decide what to do at that time.

Can Vette 02-21-2018 08:13 AM

Thanks

I had a screw right through the center of the tread. Patched and plugged no problem by my local Chev Dealer.
You'll find more posts here where patching/plugging a run flat wasn't an issue.

Tom/99 02-21-2018 08:15 AM

I've had run flats repaired at Discount Tire, no problems.

C5_Tom 02-21-2018 08:15 AM

Discount repaired a Goodyear run flat on my C5 no problem. Depending on the location of the damage they might refuse to repair it. I used the repaired tire for a couple of years without problems. I haven’t tried to get a Michelin repaired however.

guido7834 02-21-2018 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Can Vette (Post 1596638280)
I had a screw right through the center of the tread. Patched and plugged no problem by my local Chev Dealer.
You'll find more posts here where patching/plugging a run flat wasn't an issue.

That's another thing. The guy I talked to at the local Chevy dealer told me the same thing. That it couldn't be repaired. Hopefully, I'm thinking, he's just the guy who answers the phone!

Foosh 02-21-2018 08:22 AM

The policy varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, but Michelin does allow one proper repair (inside patch/plug) per tire in the center tread section. The tire retains it's speed rating. However, if the tire has been driven at ZP for more than a few miles, it's likely the integrity of the sidewalls has been compromised to some extent. If it's holding air long enough to get to a tire shop, then you're probably OK.

See link below:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=226

JALLEN4 02-21-2018 08:31 AM

It is purely a matter of liability. I had the same policy in my tire departments simply because I didn't want to buy a potential problem for a twenty dollar repair. If the tire later fails in an accident or actually causes an accident, the tire repairer is almost certainly facing a long and expensive suit.

PatternDayTrader 02-21-2018 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by JALLEN4 (Post 1596638381)
It is purely a matter of liability. I had the same policy in my tire departments simply because I didn't want to buy a potential problem for a twenty dollar repair. If the tire later fails in an accident or actually causes an accident, the tire repairer is almost certainly facing a long and expensive suit.

Its a shame that's how the world works, but that's how the world works.

JerryU 02-21-2018 08:36 AM

Thanks

Funny, I bought tire insurance from Discount Tire when I got my Grand Sport. Bet my local Discount Tire store will remove the tire and use a plug patch rather than give me a new tire! :lol:

Funny, the BMW Dealer will not patch my wife’s OEM Michelin run flats on her SUV. However the Firestone Dealer in town, who are very carefull and will not by company policy (according to them) patch a hole in the outer tread, fixed her tire with no problem. They say the Firestone defines “to close to the side wall” as the outer tread! That is the reason I bought tire insurance as the outer treads on the Grand Sport are very wide!

As you found, Michelin says one repair allowed in a Vette tire if it is not in or near the side wall.

Spice red Ed 02-21-2018 08:49 AM

Very strange, Discount repaired two of my run flats, the first one 14,000 miles ago and the repairs were free.

kenrobb 02-21-2018 08:52 AM

I just had local Discount Tire plug my 16MY rear tire that got a roofing nail in it. No questions asked and work done very well with my chrome wheels. You might call Michelin 800 # and see if they can give you a lead on a local repair shop they recommend. Are you near Kerbeck?

Roadrogue 02-21-2018 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader (Post 1596638274)
I wouldn't even take the tire off the car.
Just put a tire plug in the hole and see what happens.
I'm betting it will be just fine, if its not then it shouldn't leave you stranded anyway and you can decide what to do at that time.

That's what I did; an external plug from my plug gun and it lasted for two years until tire wore out. On my C7 and on the tire's shoulder, too.

VetteDrmr 02-21-2018 09:11 AM

I just bought a Safety Seal kit and plug my own punctures. I've only had one fail on me, and that was due to me not trimming enough of the excess plug off and it glued to the floor. :hide::banghead:

Other than that I've had absolutely zero problems with plugs. Now, this isn't for autocross or track use, just on the streets.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike

PatternDayTrader 02-21-2018 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr (Post 1596638606)
I just bought a Safety Seal kit and plug my own punctures. I've only had one fail on me, and that was due to me not trimming enough of the excess plug off and it glued to the floor. :hide::banghead:

Mike

LOL .... I can totally see how that would happen, its crazy how some of the simplest things can get you.

harmonyp 02-21-2018 09:26 AM

I found a nail in my run flat this week - had a new roof put on, and they didn't get all the roofing nails picked up. Drove it in to Firestone Complete, took 1 hour and $30 to patch.

trivette 02-21-2018 09:50 AM

I have factory Continental run flats on my Caddy ATS and since the dealer was closer than DT when I saw the TPM indicate dropping to 10# I went to them. $30 later it was repaired and it's been over a year now with no issues. Typical nail in the tread repair. I was not confident the dealership was capable of dealing with a run flat, but they certainly were.

etaylor14 02-21-2018 10:10 AM

Silly question but did you try removing the nail to see if it actually went through?

guido7834 02-21-2018 10:38 AM

Well, to answer all the questions, yes the nail went through, it lost no air so it didn't run on zero pressure to damage the tire.
Ended up taking it to my friends repair shop who repaired it no problems.
Thanks for all the help