CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Watch out for falling motorcycles... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/4105112-watch-out-for-falling-motorcycles.html)

unstressed 02-21-2018 12:57 PM

Watch out for falling motorcycles...

2 Attachment(s)
Had a friend accidentally drop his Ducate Pinigale on my drivers side quarter panel.

Car did surprisingly better than the bike, the bike broke the fairing, mirror and a few other small brackets. He's going to give me cash for whatever the repair bill is, so no worry there.

Anyway, now I have a scar on my car... was thinking about what to do.

First, I have had this car for 7-8 years and am pretty tired of it. It's my DD and has ~90K on it. That's why I'm not all that upset about it.

So do I wide body it, just fix it, or what????

And of course, we all want to see carnage pictures right?
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...1&d=1519235810

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...1&d=1519235810

airmed2 02-21-2018 01:34 PM

His bike tipped over off the side stand and caused that? And his bike had more damage? Or did it fall off the garage roof?

Tally Ho 02-21-2018 01:37 PM

If you're considering letting it go just get a new stock quarter. If you widebody, you'll want new wheels, etc. Your call.

Kenny94945 02-21-2018 01:48 PM

My opinion - If you are tired of car, sell as is.
If you are going to get tired of car soon, repair.
If you wish to keep car for another 90K miles, wide body

Looks like panel and blending paint work. I'd sell now instead of Carfax issues in future.
Good luck in your decision.

unstressed 02-21-2018 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by airmed2 (Post 1596640751)
His bike tipped over off the side stand and caused that? And his bike had more damage? Or did it fall off the garage roof?

He was walking it past the car, he was on the left side and it started tipping to the right and he couldn't hold it. My driveway is kinda off canter and sloped. Watched it happen in slow motion from 15 feet away.

And yes I'm breaking his balls severely......

unstressed 02-21-2018 02:15 PM

I'm going to repair the car for sure, I take forever making car purchases so I might have this another year or 2 before I get off the pot.

I don't think a wide body will be enough to keep my interest, so thinking of taking it to a body shop and getting it fixed.

jrose7004 02-21-2018 02:42 PM

I'd just have it fixed.

windyC6 02-21-2018 02:56 PM

Good thing it wasn't a Harley !!!

Landru 02-21-2018 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by unstressed (Post 1596641062)
I'm going to repair the car for sure...so thinking of taking it to a body shop and getting it fixed.

I'd do the same in your situation, maybe even make it an insurance claim since a repair won't be an inexpensive endeavor due to the boutique paints GM used --such as LB. YMMV

Once repaired though and w/ love of the car waning I might consider trading on a C7. Pricing's never been lower than now, a clean C6 w/ some miles will still bring decent $ either on trade or private sale. :cheers:

buckmeister2 02-21-2018 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Kenny94945 (Post 1596640839)
My opinion - If you are tired of car, sell as is.
If you are going to get tired of car soon, repair.
If you wish to keep car for another 90K miles, wide body

Looks like panel and blending paint work. I'd sell now instead of Carfax issues in future.
Good luck in your decision.

If you do not turn it in for an insurance claim, THERE WILL BE NO CARFAX ISSUES.

If you sell it exactly as it is, expect a loss of around $4,000 from the price you will receive if it is correctly fixed.

Have it fixed correctly, and sell it. It is a "repair" not a collision. If it is correctly repaired, you are not obligated to tell the buyer, though you may choose to...your call.

DO NOT put any wide body features on it, as you will still want to sell it soon, and will lose your butt.

buckmeister2 02-21-2018 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Landru (Post 1596641418)
I'd do the same in your situation, maybe even make it an insurance claim since a repair won't be an inexpensive endeavor due to the boutique paints GM used --such as LB. YMMV

Once repaired though and w/ love of the car waning I might consider trading on a C7. Pricing's never been lower than now, a clean C6 w/ some miles will still bring decent $ either on trade or private sale. :cheers:

WHY AN INSURANCE CLAIM??? The guy who did it is going to pay cash for the repair. You put in a claim, and it might get reported, and show up on carfax.

CycloneBrad 02-21-2018 04:44 PM

The Pinigale might even be totaled if he turns it in. It gets close to the value of the bike quick breaking Italian plastic. Sucks but just get it fixed and keep driving it.

Gotta-Qik-C7 02-21-2018 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by windyC6 (Post 1596641330)

That would've totaled it for sure! :hide:

CSixDude 02-21-2018 05:58 PM

My vote would be to just take it to a good body shop.

RobLo 02-21-2018 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by windyC6 (Post 1596641330)

LOL, yeah, I dropped mine once (900 lb. Tourer), stopped in sand and my foot just slid out, couldn't hold it and over it went in slow motion. Took 2 of us to pick it back up...

AORoads 02-21-2018 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by jrose7004 (Post 1596641251)
I'd just have it fixed.

I'd do the above, too. And I understand taking a long time to make a car-buying decision. For that reason, don't dump a bunch of money into this car---you will replace it, it's just a matter of time. And the $2K+ you won't get back and will have only "enjoyed" it on your car for a year or two.

Good luck. I'm with the others tho, hard to believe the cycle did that kind of damage just falling over. Musta weighed a ton! :yesnod:

unstressed 02-21-2018 06:24 PM

Guess I'm gonna have to go see the dealer tomorrow, I went to 3 places here and nobody works on fiberglass.

I have a good dealer here, had my top replaced on the recall and the paint was perfect match, so I trust them. May just tell them to put a new quarter on and paint it.

unstressed 02-21-2018 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by AORoads (Post 1596642650)
I'd do the above, too. And I understand taking a long time to make a car-buying decision. For that reason, don't dump a bunch of money into this car---you will replace it, it's just a matter of time. And the $2K+ you won't get back and will have only "enjoyed" it on your car for a year or two.

Good luck. I'm with the others tho, hard to believe the cycle did that kind of damage just falling over. Musta weighed a ton! :yesnod:

It's a rice burner race bike, it's made out of composites and definitely lighter than a Harley. He's dropped it about 3-4 times, each time is minimum of $500. Just a mirror assembly is like $600. This one's gonna cost him about $1500-2000, mirror, windshield and front fairing. He was pushing it, then it started to go down the driveway and he lost it. And I had just moved my car out of the way so he could get in my garage to tighten the chain.

I'm SOOOOOO glad it wasn't a new car or I'm not sure what I'd of done.

AORoads 02-21-2018 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by unstressed (Post 1596642703)
It's a rice burner race bike, it's made out of composites and definitely lighter than a Harley. He's dropped it about 3-4 times, each time is minimum of $500. Just a mirror assembly is like $600. This one's gonna cost him about $1500-2000, mirror, windshield and front fairing. He was pushing it, then it started to go down the driveway and he lost it. And I had just moved my car out of the way so he could get in my garage to tighten the chain.

I'm SOOOOOO glad it wasn't a new car or I'm not sure what I'd of done.

What! You're in San Diego? Did you go to Amato's in Sorrento Valley and they said they don't work on Corvettes?

unstressed 02-21-2018 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by AORoads (Post 1596642713)
What! You're in San Diego? Did you go to Amato's in Sorrento Valley and they said they don't work on Corvettes?

I'm working in Poway, so that's a haul for me.