CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Noise Cancelling Headphones (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/4105178-noise-cancelling-headphones.html)

montman 02-21-2018 03:39 PM

Noise Cancelling Headphones

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...5b5335edfe.jpg
Is anyone listening to music with cordless noise cancelling headphones while driving with the top off/down? I tried some Bose and Sony on at Best Buy and its unbelievable how good they sound, and how well they block noise. But before I lay out $300+, I'm wondering how they do with the wind noise and buffeting. I would only use them on the back roads. I hope this question doesn't cause anyone heartburn like my last one did:hide:
Just to clarify, this is the typical kind road I plan to use them on. NOT IN THE CITY, NOT IN TRAFFIC AROUND KIDS , Etc.!!!

Frankie15 02-21-2018 03:43 PM

This is an absolutely terrible idea. I hate when I see people doing this...

madsonp 02-21-2018 03:46 PM

I believe this is probably illegal, you need to be able to hear emergency vehicle sirens.

gliot1 02-21-2018 04:00 PM

In most states it is against the law even. The reason? You cannot hear emergency vehicles or a car horn. Give it a try while reading the text messages on your phone in your lap after a couple of cold Buds!

montman 02-21-2018 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by gliot1 (Post 1596641693)
In most states it is against the law even. The reason? You cannot hear emergency vehicles or a car horn. Give it a try while reading the text messages on your phone in your lap after a couple of cold Buds!

In Texas, where I live, the Department of Public Safety has a placard for deaf drivers to put in their visor. I don't see how wearing ear phones can be as bad as a totally deaf driver. I don't plan to use them around town, only in the rural areas.

marinablu67 02-21-2018 04:48 PM

Switch the mild2wild to mild and turn the sound system in the car up! That's what it there for:rofl:

gliot1 02-21-2018 04:59 PM

You are lucky somewhat....it appears that TX has no laws against headphone use unlike other states. I still don't know about it making sense! Get a new stereo head unit and go that way instead though!

AORoads 02-21-2018 06:24 PM

Not just emergency vehicles, trains, other cars, etc. Whether you CAN do it or not, it's not a good idea. A person with hearing difficulties is "handicapped" and needs to be able to hear. You are not, right now, and I suggest you not make yourself "handicapped."

1bdvet 02-21-2018 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Frankie15 (Post 1596641590)
This is an absolutely terrible idea. I hate when I see people doing this...

:iagree:

z06clif 02-21-2018 07:12 PM

I just googled it and deaf people utilize special devices that identify emergency sirens and such

Clif

J3TVETTE 02-21-2018 07:24 PM

So instead of listening to the rumble of an American built V8 you would rather listen to music and get 1/2 the experience. Makes sense.

montman 02-21-2018 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by slowstang305 (Post 1596643114)
So instead of listening to the rumble of an American built V8 you would rather listen to music and get 1/2 the experience. Makes sense.

There's a time for everything - V8 now, music later and back to V8. I put over a hundred thousand miles on motorcycles during 20 years of riding in every kind of weather and traffic you can imagine. A lot of those miles were on a Gold Wing with a helmet and stereo on. Only had one really close call when a lady pulled out of a 7-11 into my path. I guess I have a good guardian angel.

OlyC6 02-21-2018 07:42 PM

Hmmm

Unless you're the only person to ever drive on a road or highway (highly unlikely but I don't know where you live in El Paso...), this is such a bad idea, many states have laws on the books making the practice illegal.

It's a car... not a sound booth in an Audio Store selling high-end equipment.

Edit after a web-search....
https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/201...while-driving/

I guess Texas and a bunch of other states don't consider this a problem... drive isolated as much as you want!

montman 02-21-2018 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by OlyC6 (Post 1596643257)
Unless you're the only person to ever drive on a road or highway (highly unlikely but I don't know where you live in El Paso...), this is such a bad idea, many states have laws on the books making the practice illegal.

It's a car... not a sound booth in an Audio Store selling high-end equipment.

Edit after a web-search....
https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/201...while-driving/

I guess Texas and a bunch of other states don't consider this a problem... drive isolated as much as you want!

Thanks for the info! I live in El Paso Texas. I'm not wanting to use these in town at all. The rural roads in West Texas and southern New Mexico are very desolate. If I thought it were going to endanger anyone, I wouldn't do it. Couldn't be any more dangerous than letting the Corvette horses out of the corral once in a while. Right?

Vet Interested 02-21-2018 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by montman (Post 1596643344)
Thanks for the info! I live in El Paso Texas. I'm not wanting to use these in town at all. The rural roads in West Texas and southern New Mexico are very desolate. If I thought it were going to endanger anyone, I wouldn't do it. Couldn't be any more dangerous than letting the Corvette horses out of the corral once in a while. Right?

Are you serious? Headphones may be the least of your problems. Lack of common sense is a much bigger issue.:crazy2:

montman 02-21-2018 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Vet Interested (Post 1596643399)
Are you serious? Headphones may be the least of your problems. Lack of common sense is a much bigger issue.:crazy2:

We all take unnecessary risks. Driving a plastic car is not nearly as safe as our Honda minivan. Riding a motorcycle is not as safe as driving my F250. I've made it through 60 years riding on and off road, working in an oil refinery and otherwise having fun.

Vet Interested 02-22-2018 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by montman (Post 1596644666)
We all take unnecessary risks. Driving a plastic car is not nearly as safe as our Honda minivan. Riding a motorcycle is not as safe as driving my F250. I've made it through 60 years riding on and off road, working in an oil refinery and otherwise having fun.

Understand but driving a plastic car affects only me. Driving with headphones puts everyone at risk......just saying.

Welker1 02-22-2018 01:43 AM

I agree with others that wearing headsets of any kind is a bad idea; IMO, any distraction while driving is and, yes, wearing headsets is a distractor. They prevent (distract) you from hearing emergency vehicles and other sounds that may play an important role in you avoiding an accident. That being said, here's a link to AAA's list of laws concerning the issue by state (Texas has no prohibition):

https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/headsets/

:cheers:

EVILFACE 02-22-2018 05:22 AM

Turn the radio up.

rsparks64 02-22-2018 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by montman (Post 1596641570)
Is anyone listening to music with cordless noise cancelling headphones while driving with the top off/down? I tried some Bose and Sony on at Best Buy and its unbelievable how good they sound, and how well they block noise. But before I lay out $300+, I'm wondering how they do with the wind noise and buffeting. I would only use them on the back roads. I hope this question doesn't cause anyone heartburn like my last one did:hide:

The Bose are great for noise reduction. I have the previous wired model. Whether you use them driving or not is another thing. Regarding not being able to hear sirens, etc., my music is usually so loud in my car (vette or otherwise) that I can’t even hear my cell phone when it rings. When I had a C2 with side pipes forget it.