CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Thoughts of trading Grand Sport vs GTS (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4105252-thoughts-of-trading-grand-sport-vs-gts.html)

woodranch 02-21-2018 07:05 PM

Thoughts of trading Grand Sport vs GTS

My local dealer just got a trade in of a 2017 Porsche GTS with only 2300 miles. My thoughts are maybe a time for a change... I love my 2017 Grand Sport , but at 58 sometimes you want a change. So my question to you Corvette owners and probably former or current Porsche owners is if this would be a mistake. Obviously, there is a good deal of money to put up, but what I really would like feedback on is to hear the pros and cons if I made the trade. I really appreciate your time and opinions before I might regret my decision. Thanks in advance!!!

dyoung 02-21-2018 07:21 PM

Is it a 911 GTS? If it is have a look to see how you are going to take a wheel off it if you have a flat in the middle of nowhere..That fancy nut system requires a special socket wrench and a big bar to generate 450 lbs of torque.

I thought about getting one also but changed my mind when I saw the price at almost twice what my GS cost.

blb078 02-21-2018 07:27 PM

The GTS is a great car and as you know comes at a bit of a premium. I'd say go for it, nothing wrong with trying out something new. If you keep it a few years you can still trade it in for what may(hopefully) be a C8 if you find you it's just not to your liking. Service on it will be a little more but it's not horrible.

woodranch 02-21-2018 07:32 PM

I am really more interested in speed, comfort and daily driver comparisons if anyone has or heard opinions.

AORoads 02-21-2018 07:36 PM

Listen to the practical reasons to not do it, then make a decision. If you ask me, you're at least half way there: you're thinking about it. And I can't fault your logic that at your age, who knows what could happen, and why not try it?

It's not like someone has said if you leave the Corvette fold, you can never again return (or, that you must pay twice the price of what everyone else is paying at the time). So, there's no penalty even if it turns out you think it was a mistake. A little money, pride maybe, but that's it. You'll never know if you like "living" with the P-car unless you try it, right? (I didn't say taking it out for a test drive, or riding in a friend's P-car)

dyoung 02-21-2018 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by woodranch (Post 1596643188)
I am really more interested in speed, comfort and daily driver comparisons if anyone has or heard opinions.

My wife has a new Boxster and I think they have the same seats as the 911. We find them to be nowhere near as comfortable as the Corvettes GT seats.

We can go all day in the corvette and about 3 hours in the Boxster.

You better drive it and see for your self. It is an intriguing car.

\Boost Monkey/ 02-21-2018 08:12 PM

GTS?

Which GTS? A 911 GTS, Cayman GTS, Boxster GTS? Kinda makes a big difference which model it is.

woodranch 02-21-2018 09:32 PM

911 gts

mjcourt 02-21-2018 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by woodranch (Post 1596643188)

I had several Porsches and Corvettes. Currently have both a GT4 and C7 Z06.

If your interested in 'speed' I'd say stick with the any C7 Corvette. You won't get the same performance from GTS.

Comfort is a toss up. Both are comfortable to me. Someone said they didn't like the Porsche seats, but I find them slightly more comfortable that the C7 GT seats.

As for daily driver, the Porsches feel smaller and lighter so they feel easier to drive around town.

If your looking for a change, and leaning towards comfort, try the GTS. If you like higher performance and speed, stick with a C7. You really can't go wrong with either car.

Steve Garrett 02-21-2018 10:17 PM

^^^ This....

Dr. ice 02-21-2018 10:18 PM

Interested to hear more. I currently have my 2015 Z51 up for sale. As soon as it sells I will purchase a 17 or 18 911 4s or 911 GTS. I too am ready for a change. We live in a good time with many great cars to choose from in today’s market place. I am not brand loyal to any car or manufacturer.......just a car enthusiast who enjoys experiencing different cars. Have loved my Corvette as well. Has been an awesome and trouble free ride.

2500 hd 02-21-2018 10:21 PM

[QUOTE=mjcourt;1596644266]I had several Porsches and Corvettes. Currently have both a GT4 and C7 Z06.

If your interested in 'speed' I'd say stick with the any C7 Corvette. You won't get the same performance from GTS.

Comfort is a toss up. Both are comfortable to me. Someone said they didn't like the Porsche seats, but I find them slightly more comfortable that the C7 GT seats.

As for daily driver, the Porsches feel smaller and lighter so they feel easier to drive around town.

If your looking for a change, and leaning towards comfort, try the GTS. If you like higher performance and speed, stick with a C7. You really can't go wrong with either car.[/QUOT

^^^^ I have had several Porsche's and I agree with the above answer..

mjcourt 02-21-2018 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. ice (Post 1596644315)
Interested to hear more. I currently have my 2015 Z51 up for sale. As soon as it sells I will purchase a 17 or 18 911 4s or 911 GTS. I too am ready for a change. We live in a good time with many great cars to choose from in today’s market place. I am not brand loyal to any car or manufacturer.......just a car enthusiast who enjoys experiencing different cars. Have loved my Corvette as well. Has been an awesome and trouble free ride.

Agree, everyone should be a car enthusiast and buy the best car they can afford regardless of brand. :thumbs:

One problem I have with the non-turbo Porsches is that their torque band is pretty high. Around town you need to be at 5-6,000 RPM to be in the band. That is great for the track, but most people don't drive around town revving their engines that high. The new 2018+ cars are all turbo (except the GT3) and their torque feels strong down low.

I track my 2016 GT4 and it's great for that, but around town it's not impressive.

red62vette 02-22-2018 12:33 AM

The GTS is a great car, no doubt. I think it is faster than a GS, but new costs about $140k MSRP with a fairly standard list of options. A good discount on a new 911 is about 8%. I have a Porsche and have had them in the past, and I have a GS too.

A few observations:
- I don't view a Porsche as a car you can put a significant amount of miles on. More things will break vs a Vette and they will cost far, far more to fix
- The build quality and luxury on a Porsche are better, but the Vette is pretty good now in this regard
- The maintenance costs on a Porsche will make you cry, and they make it very difficult for you to even change your own oil. Figure on roughly $400-450 for the oil change at 10k and 20k miles. If it has PDK figure $1500+ at 40k, and $1000+ at 30k. And this is if nothing needs to be repaired.

R8Z51 02-22-2018 01:34 AM

I thought Porsche’s were fairly reliable?

bearphoto 02-22-2018 08:30 AM

If you can afford it go ahead but you will be back no doubt. Personally for me, I hate high maintenance costs and while i have no personal experience on it I believe it to be rather high on most porsches.

fourmat 02-22-2018 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by R8Z51 (Post 1596644982)
I thought Porsche’s were fairly reliable?

They are as long as you keep up on the maintenance (although they have had isuues) especially once you have racked up some miles. The cost of this can get pricey

DWS44 02-22-2018 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by red62vette (Post 1596644872)
Figure on roughly $400-450 for the oil change at 10k and 20k miles.

:ack:

Corvette#2 02-22-2018 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by red62vette (Post 15966448)
- The maintenance costs on a Porsche will make you cry, and they make it very difficult for you to even change your own oil. Figure on roughly $400-450 for the oil change at 10k and 20k miles.

Wow that's high. What makes it so expensive ? Is there a lot of labor/interference to remove just to get to the oil filter or something ?

OP: If you have the means, I would go for it. I've never driven a Porsche, but everyone says the handling is amazing.

sTz 02-22-2018 09:36 AM

Hard to say, but if you’re thinking about the trade, then you’re not completely satisfied with the Vette. Don’t settle... if it’s the color that you want, and equipped to your liking, then go for it. If it’s not, then you’ll be on a Porsche forum asking the same thing in few months.