CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Z06 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion-170/)
-   -   Brake Pads choice (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/4108617-brake-pads-choice.html)

Kazman1960 03-01-2018 09:19 PM

Brake Pads choice

Springs only 4 or 5 weeks away , looking at the dust on my rims , i think i want to change them out this season . Whats a good choice for good stopping power , less dust and decent price ?

Mr. Gizmo 03-01-2018 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Kazman1960 (Post 1596700070)
Springs only 4 or 5 weeks away , looking at the dust on my rims , i think i want to change them out this season . Whats a good choice for good stopping power , less dust and decent price ?

powerstop z26. Have them on my c7z and had them on my c6z. You can get them at rock auto dot com for 130 bucks all the way around. They stop great are quiet and clean. the brembos stock on the car would get my wheels filthy after 10 miles. The z26 leave the wheels spotless No dust.

pkincy 03-02-2018 02:46 AM

The popular choices seem to be Z26 from Powerstop and 1521 from Carbotech, however Hawk Ceramic work well also. I went to Carbotech on the C7Z, but had Hawk on my C6Z. Both cut the dust down near 80%.

I also ceramic coated my wheels themselves and that took out the remaining 20% of the dust. Now my wheels virtually never need a special cleaning.

DevilDog II 03-02-2018 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo (Post 1596700875)

powerstop z26. Have them on my c7z and had them on my c6z. You can get them at rock auto dot com for 130 bucks all the way around. They stop great are quiet and clean. the brembos stock on the car would get my wheels filthy after 10 miles. The z26 leave the wheels spotless No dust.

:iagree: Had my PowerStop pads for quite some time and love 'em. :cheers:

gve 03-02-2018 08:36 AM

Powerstops have less dust then the Carbotechs and cost less.
Here’s a test that I did a few years back.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rake-dust.html

Allen_B 03-02-2018 08:50 AM

Thread has been open for almost 12 hours and Adam hasn't chimed in? That's odd...

PowerStop z23 (rubber backed) or Z26 (stainless backed) are good options. Same pad compound and the z23 is reportedly a little quieter thanks to the rubber backing. Personally, will go with the z23 pads at some point (maybe a Father's Day present to myself) but lots of options...

Allen

rikhek 03-02-2018 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Allen_B (Post 1596701861)
Thread has been open for almost 12 hours and Adam hasn't chimed in? That's odd...

PowerStop z23 (rubber backed) or Z26 (stainless backed) are good options. Same pad compound and the z23 is reportedly a little quieter thanks to the rubber backing. Personally, will go with the z23 pads at some point (maybe a Father's Day present to myself) but lots of options...

Allen

ROTFLMFAO. You beat me to it, he must be sick or lost his internet connection.

Thomasmoto 03-02-2018 09:07 AM

Powerstop you won't be disappointed.

Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com 03-02-2018 09:27 AM

I recommend the Carbotech 1521 pad 100% made in the USA. A low dust pad that is rotor friendly and performs like OEM and last longer. 100% non-corrosive dust will not harm your paint or wheels. This pad also contains NRS technology. Carbotech uses NRS technology on all C4, C5, C6 & C7 front and rear brake pads.

Here is a link to explain further what NRS technology is exactly: http://www.nrsbrakes.com

If interested I will be happy to help you out or you can order online here http://ampdautosport.com/brake-pads/corvette/ Use promo code z28 at check out for your 5% discount.

ZO6/GS part numbers.
F: CT1405
R: CT1718

Carbotech™ Bobcat 1521™ The Carbotech Bobcat 1521™ is our high performance street compound that is our most successful compound. The Bobcat compound is known for its awesome release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. Like our AX™ & XP™ line of compounds, Bobcat 1521™ is a Ceramic based friction material offering minimal rotor damage and non-corrosive dust. Bobcat 1521™ offers outstanding performance, even when cold, low dusting and low noise with an excellent initial bite. This compound’s virtually perfect linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Bobcat 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 900°F. Bobcat 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle, police cruiser. The Bobcat 1521™ compound has been found to last two-three times longer than OE pads you can purchase at a dealership or national retailer. That’s one of the beauties of Carbotech Ceramic brake compounds. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use.

SLEEKVET 03-02-2018 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by pkincy (Post 1596701185)
The popular choices seem to be Z26 from Powerstop and 1521 from Carbotech, however Hawk Ceramic work well also. I went to Carbotech on the C7Z, but had Hawk on my C6Z. Both cut the dust down near 80%.

I also ceramic coated my wheels themselves and that took out the remaining 20% of the dust. Now my wheels virtually never need a special cleaning.

:iagree:
This is the way to go. I have Z26 on mine and work great, at the lowest price, however there is heavy copper in them so your rotors will have a slight brown look to them. Functionality wise, they work perfect. I may change to a different pad some time later because I would like my rotors to look a brighter silver. Carbotech is probably best but at a higher price.

3 Z06ZR1 03-02-2018 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo (Post 1596700875)

:iagree: They are my choice as well. No dust no issues. :cheers:

Kazman1960 03-02-2018 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by pkincy (Post 1596701185)

Ceramic coating helps keep the dust off the wheels ? does the dust not stick to the surface of the coating ? I haven't tried any Ceramic coating yet so just asking questions .

pkincy 03-02-2018 06:08 PM

Ceramic coating definitely keeps the dust and grime off any surface that it is applied on. It simply smooths the surface and less will stick to it.

3 Z06ZR1 03-02-2018 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by SLEEKVET (Post 1596702489)
:iagree:
This is the way to go. I have Z26 on mine and work great, at the lowest price, however there is heavy copper in them so your rotors will have a slight brown look to them. Functionality wise, they work perfect. I may change to a different pad some time later because I would like my rotors to look a brighter silver. Carbotech is probably best but at a higher price.

Powerwash your rotors they change back to silver. The brown color is non issue I have them on 2 cars .The dust issue everywhere from the stock pads is HUGE issue. Goes under your car and doors and covers your wheels shocks and suspension. I traded the slight color that does washes off anytime with out the large amount of dust and I would again anytime.

KNSBrakes 03-02-2018 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by rikhek (Post 1596701897)
ROTFLMFAO. You beat me to it, he must be sick or lost his internet connection.

Ima get Adam's back on this one. He's a soldier

The raging battle continues.

We could at least lighten up about it eh? Everyone is entitled to their choice.

:cheers:

Kazman1960 03-02-2018 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by pkincy (Post 1596705826)
Ceramic coating definitely keeps the dust and grime off any surface that it is applied on. It simply smooths the surface and less will stick to it.

Well gonna give that stuff a shot as well then , what Brand of coating for wheels ?

SLEEKVET 03-03-2018 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1 (Post 1596706003)
Powerwash your rotors they change back to silver. The brown color is non issue I have them on 2 cars .The dust issue everywhere from the stock pads is HUGE issue. Goes under your car and doors and covers your wheels shocks and suspension. I traded the slight color that does washes off anytime with out the large amount of dust and I would again anytime.

Thanks, I'll try that. It is the only thing I don't like about the pad. They stop like stock , no dust, no noise, etc...

mdolandese 03-04-2018 11:04 AM

But the carbotech last a lot longer I heard, with NO discoloring.I guess in this situation you don't get what you pay for? I'd rather pay more with no discoloring and not worry about changing my pads for a very longtime. [especially if you pay to have them done] I'm very OCD and the worst for me is DISCOLORING ROTORS don't even want to think about it. Just my opinion What ever makes you happy and confident. I guess its all a preference

gve 03-05-2018 08:34 AM

I don’t know where you heard the Carbotechs last longer vs Powerstops. I have over 20,000 on my Powerstops and they aren’t even close to being half worn down.

Thomasmoto 03-05-2018 02:22 PM

Brakes

Originally Posted by gve (Post 1596720147)
I don’t know where you heard the Carbotechs last longer vs Powerstops. I have over 20,000 on my Powerstops and they aren’t even close to being half worn down.

I'm wondering the same thing. Powerstops last a long time even with aggressive street driving. Now tracking is another story and you need track day pads for that.
I'm on my 4th season using them again.