CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Ask Tadge (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/ask-tadge-171/)
-   -   Could we have a software update for dashboard improvements? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/ask-tadge/4109769-could-we-have-a-software-update-for-dashboard-improvements.html)

X25 03-05-2018 01:18 AM

Could we have a software update for dashboard improvements?

Even though the cars are almost mechanically identical, there have been quite a few updates to the dashboard. The latest one made to the track view is how it should have come with, and is the reason why so many Corvette owners are forced to use "Sport" or "Tour" mode while at the track, since Track mode has not provided this information, until now.

Check out Foosh's image from a forum thread:
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...06fd6033a.jpeg

Many car manufacturers have already started updating their customers' cars post sale, and I'd love to have these updates on my car. I am OK with paying for these updates, too. Could you provide us an update package?

CT Grand Sport CE 03-05-2018 07:29 AM

I believe Tadge addressed this last summer when the changes to the DIC were announced. In short, the answer is no.

jvp 03-05-2018 07:51 AM

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...del-years.html

In cases where we simply make a cal change, it is usually backwards compatible. But those are rare. To add new features like PDR screen overlays or add a new pocket gage in the cluster requires software at a minimum. Anyone who has dealt with complex software will tell you that validating it for all situations and use-cases is not a trivial matter.
I'd say: No.

X25 03-05-2018 01:08 PM

I actually remember his post regarding the updates, but this is actually a big one, and might also be a relatively safe upgrade. I wish there could be a way to show tadge how important we think this little upgrade would be.

jvp 03-05-2018 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by X25 (Post 1596721998)
I wish there could be a way to show tadge how important we think this little upgrade would be.

How do you know it's simple and safe? How do you know it's "little"? What if it requires hardware behind the IP to make it happen? Some sort of upgraded/changed controller behind the scenes?

X25 03-05-2018 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by jvp (Post 1596722121)
How do you know it's simple and safe? How do you know it's "little"? What if it requires hardware behind the IP to make it happen? Some sort of upgraded/changed controller behind the scenes?

It is basically a different 'view' of the data which is already available in multiple screens; software updates don't come safer than that (and I am in the industry). Question is: would people pay for the update if GM provided it? You bet they would, so if there's money to be made to pay for testing, I think we could at least ask for it.

The suspension calibration was a much more complex upgrade, but they were able to justify it by asking a fee. If there's enough interest, this model could be applied to other popular updates, too.

In the end of the day, it boils down to the willingness of the manufacturers. They used to not do any update whatsoever, but the industry is moving on from the old world, and everybody knows it.

Thanks for the consideration!

BlueDevilZ51 03-08-2018 07:11 AM

This would be a great software update.

rb185afm 03-08-2018 09:41 AM

Please please please!

amuseti 03-31-2018 12:10 AM

+1 .

Newdude 03-31-2018 09:05 AM

If its anything like MyLink 2.0 vs MyLink 2.5, its all hardware AND software differences, not just software. I highly doubt that a software update would allow for the newer info-graphics.

spearfish25 04-01-2018 09:19 PM

I too would love that screen. However, Tadge already said that changes to hardware make implementing software changes to the DIC on prior model years fraught with issues. In short he said it wasn't worth the time and effort to make backward DIC updates given the complexity of doing so.

The only way to get that screen is to buy a newer model year.

Jeff V. 04-02-2018 03:56 PM

I say this as someone who would really like a cluster upgrade.

With as much of a shitshow as the MRC upgrade has been, GM should not offer this unless they're willing to undertake a complete re-think regarding how they disseminate information to customers and technicans alike. At least with the cluster, it'd be obvious whether or not the dealer actually performed the upgrade in the first place.

X25 04-02-2018 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff V. (Post 1596911862)
I say this as someone who would really like a cluster upgrade.

With as much of a shitshow as the MRC upgrade has been, GM should not offer this unless they're willing to undertake a complete re-think regarding how they disseminate information to customers and technicans alike. At least with the cluster, it'd be obvious whether or not the dealer actually performed the upgrade in the first place.

There is a complete redesign in track dashboard; I'm sure it would be quite obvious, if the upgrade is performed or not : )

Jeff V. 04-02-2018 11:08 PM

Isn't that what I said? :confused:

Pacembellum 04-05-2018 12:47 AM

They absolutely can and should be updating this screen info.

Tesla pushes updates remotely to their cars.

Step it up GM.

​​​​​​

X25 04-05-2018 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by Pacembellum (Post 1596930425)

Step it up GM.

​​​​​​

+1, it can be done, and it's a win/win for everyone.

jvp 04-05-2018 05:12 AM

You guys can keep debating this amongst yourselves if you want. We're not sending it to Tadge because he's already answered it.

X25 04-05-2018 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by jvp (Post 1596930797)
You guys can keep debating this amongst yourselves if you want. We're not sending it to Tadge because he's already answered it.

We're not asking for 'every update' to be bundled up for every model year, which is what Tadge talked about. We're asking for a specific display, and we're willing to pay for it, too. There's a clear difference.

amuseti 04-05-2018 01:54 PM

+1 for paying.

slickstick 04-06-2018 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Pacembellum (Post 1596930425)

Step it up GM.

​​​​​​

I think this would be a good question itself... Is there a reason GM is not pushing software updates for the Corvette over the air and/or any plans to implement in the future? Other manufacturers are doing it, yet we need to bring the car into the dealer for a manual process.