CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   Turn signal and Dash problems (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/4110091-turn-signal-and-dash-problems.html)

Snaps 03-05-2018 07:14 PM

Turn signal and Dash problems

Just picked up a '89 and I have a few issues I was hoping someone could help. I've done the whole google search but a lot of the threads seem to never get solved or replied too. My issues are when I turn my lights on --at night-- my dash dims to the point it cannot be seen. I also get a non flashing right turn signal indication and no turn signal. I've read that these can be related. All turn signals work when lights are off and flashers. Flashing a light to sensor on the dash causes the dash to illuminate. I've also tried wiggling the indicators harnesses. Any ideas what I should try next?

gerardvg 03-08-2018 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Snaps (Post 1596724435)
Just picked up a '89 and I have a few issues I was hoping someone could help. I've done the whole google search but a lot of the threads seem to never get solved or replied too. My issues are when I turn my lights on --at night-- my dash dims to the point it cannot be seen. I also get a non flashing right turn signal indication and no turn signal. I've read that these can be related. All turn signals work when lights are off and flashers. Flashing a light to sensor on the dash causes the dash to illuminate. I've also tried wiggling the indicators harnesses. Any ideas what I should try next?

Hi
Have you tried turning the headlight switch knob? that controls the dash brightness at night also.

The indicator lamp brightness is not controlled by the dash, if they are going blank its usually the connector pins.
A bad connection there will cause these type of ground problems...
See link below to a repair kit from Batee

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Backlight-R...BS7qvI&vxp=mtr

Snaps 03-13-2018 01:06 PM

I've replaced the headlight switch and still have the same problems. Adjusting the knob does nothing, I've also noticed the center console's switches don't light up at all. I've checked all the fuses.

cdm747 03-13-2018 01:28 PM

Sounds like a bad ground somewhere to me.

hcbph 03-14-2018 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by cdm747 (Post 1596775866)

:iagree:

check out Batee.com website. I think you'll find all the info, parts and repair services you'll ever need for the Atari Dash repair. Did mine and I'm very pleased with the results.

N227GB 03-14-2018 05:13 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by cdm747 (Post 1596775866)

Our cars have ground points all over the place. Below is a picture of the ground point in the drivers footwell. Below that is the fastener holding it on. 27 years (at the time) worth of corrosion to build up.

Attachment 48353865
Attachment 48353866

Here's the driver's door lock switch when I was diagnosing an intermittent problem.

Attachment 48353867

A small brass brush and Scotch Brite are great for cleaning these items up. Then spray on some DeoxIT. If there's still a Radio Shack in your area, they may have it. Guitar Center stocks it as well I've noticed.

Snaps 04-06-2018 09:24 PM

Updating, I have since got the cluster refurbished, check and changed all fuses, cleaned the grounds under the brake booster, engine block, drivers foot well, passenger foot well. Still no change.

Snaps 04-16-2018 10:38 AM

Anyone?

PatternDayTrader 04-16-2018 11:22 AM

Sounds to me like the running lights are finding a ground path through the right side turn signal circuit.

PatternDayTrader 04-16-2018 11:23 AM

It could be as easy as a screwed up brake/turn signal bulb.

Snaps 04-18-2018 12:49 PM

I have since fixed my dash issue, not sure which or if all contributed but now everything lights up and dims like its supposed too. Also my turn signal problem was the metal clip inside the front rights housing was broken off and wedged down into to socket. Only barely visible and comparing the left and right sides I noticed the tab missing. Everything works right now!

PatternDayTrader 04-18-2018 02:30 PM

Nice.