CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   i admit, i am looking at a c5 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/4111812-i-admit-i-am-looking-at-a-c5.html)

VikingTrad3r 03-10-2018 12:15 AM

i admit, i am looking at a c5

yeah i was looking at a 100k mile c5, 98, for 9500 usd.

I just.....cant do it though.

I love all vettes but i love the c4 and the early chrome bumper c3's the most. i just cant do it.

ive tried justifying that it makes more sense to buy this car than a zr-1. Ive had 3 l98's and love them. so simple. the crazy thing is that this c5 which is in impeccable condition is less than a zr-1.

there is something about the stance of the c4 if lowered 1" with updated rims that i cant beat.

Lingenfelter 03-10-2018 01:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r (Post 1596754236)
yeah i was looking at a 100k mile c5, 98, for 9500 usd.

I just.....cant do it though.

I love all vettes but i love the c4 and the early chrome bumper c3's the most. i just cant do it.

ive tried justifying that it makes more sense to buy this car than a zr-1. Ive had 3 l98's and love them. so simple. the crazy thing is that this c5 which is in impeccable condition is less than a zr-1.

there is something about the stance of the c4 if lowered 1" with updated rims that i cant beat.

C4's are tough to beat. They're the right size inside and out, super low and that clamshell hood is downright awesome! But if you're going to get a C5, then save up and get a C5 Z06. It's got the FRC (fixed roof coupe) look that's both beautiful as it is functional in being more rigid and lighter. It also has more power, better handling then a base C5 and is one hell of a street legal race car! Keep the C4 and get a C5Z! :yesnod:

JrRifleCoach 03-10-2018 02:02 AM

The C5 is a radical departure from the C4. Its comfortable to drive long distances. Has much more power and better handling. Performance parts are easy to find and still being produced. The engine computer can be tuned and many experienced tuners are out there. Fuel economy is a big plus without sacrificing power. Some say shes gotta big butt. I say the lines are smooth and curvy like a fine woman.

:cheers:

PatternDayTrader 03-10-2018 05:13 AM

I had an 03 Z06 and drove the wheels off it. Obviously being the z06 it was a manual trans car.
For some reason it was impossible to get the position feeling right, between the steering wheel, the seat, and the clutch pedal. I'm not particularly tall or short either.
The car needed a telescopic steering column or a pedal height adjuster. Preferably the pedal height adjuster.
C5 harmonic balancers seem to fail with regularity, probably as often as optispark distributors. The 02 through 04 z06 cars had problems with valve spring life. Typically you find this out after one of the springs break and the piston smashes the valve into oblivion.
The prices are coming down though, and a good deal is a good deal. You can get a darn nice car for 12-15k.

64Scout 03-10-2018 06:38 AM

Those chrome bumper C3s are downright beautiful. If I had the money and the space I'd buy one.

FWC 03-10-2018 07:24 AM

Were you able to drive it? If so what did you think? Personally I am not a fan of the C5 in looks or ride.

Ed Ramberger 03-10-2018 07:57 AM

Having owned both, I love the C5 - big step up from the C4. But shy away from very early ones as parts are extremely expensive and obsolete. Look at 2000 and later.

Barrier 03-10-2018 08:09 AM

After I sold my 1986 C4 with Every Option but block heater I bought a 1999 C5 FRC. I was going to keep it forever. Loved it until All the electrical Gremlins kicked in. From Low Fuel light going on to ABS warning to all kinds of Handling Warnings. The great looking seats even started wearing out at 20k miles. Replaced the Battery two times, they would last until the Warranty ended I had the extended warranty but 3 different Dealers could not fix electronics permanently. Sold in the late 2000s.
I bought my current C4 1993 Convertible, much happier.
I did like the looks of the C5, and the ride.
Barrier

pnewt 03-10-2018 08:14 AM

C5/c4

2 Attachment(s)
Have had both and they are completely different and depending on what you are looking for are great cars. I bought the 2nd Z06 built(01) and it was comfortable.reliable very responsive and looked great. I dont drive my cars much but when I did it was like driving a car like my wife's Lexus. Too comfortable. Plus there are so many on the road today. I sold it and now went back to a C4 and love every minute of it.These are what Corvette is all about. Mine has a racing engine in it,performance is amazing and ride is more like the old days. This one in my mind is better than the ZR1 I had years ago.Most c5's I see on the road are driven by older guys( like me 68) so I guess I'm old school. I like the noise from a supercharged, long tube header,side pipe C4 and best part is no one- wife included, will ride in the car with me- its great

billschroeder5842 03-10-2018 09:14 AM

I too am flirting with "the dark side"

I've got my eye on either a '04 ZO6 CE edition or a black Z06.

The hard part is that I'll need to sell my '89 which is super sqared away. I'm keeping the ZR1.

73n95 03-10-2018 09:53 AM

Ah the quest. Deciding on the perfect choice is not only pervasive, it also changes. Perhaps this is why we need one of each but then, which one to drive? Man, its great to have choices!

81c3 03-10-2018 10:11 AM

I have touched on these threads before.... feeling somewhat qualified because I have owned 2 02 Z06 cars, a 92 ZR-1 and several other C4's. Right now I am hoping to sell my 86. If and when I do, I am getting into a ZR-1 again.

The first Z06 I had was a 15k mile red/mod red with headers only. Very nice and fast also. The second one I had was a MY/Blk with 75k miles on it and I spent a few bucks on that one, cam,pulley, rocker upgrade, spring upgrade, full exhaust, upgraded clutch, C6 Z shocks, yadda yadda.... It wound up 411/385 to the wheels.... lots of fun.

Neither had real electrical issues... the higher mile one had the ABS/Traction Control light issue, but that was fixed with a work around for about 50 bucks... not a big deal.

So, you can see, I did like the Z06 cars... so why am I looking to go back to a ZR-1 again? The overall feel and handling of the car is to me, what a Vette should be. The seating position, the heavier feeling steering, the cornering and braking etc. Yes, the ZR-1 will probably cost as much or a little more than a mid to high mile Z06 and the Z06 will squeak out a bit more power, have a little better gas mileage (although I could care less)... but the ZR-1 is my choice for overall better Corvette.:cheers:

QCVette 03-10-2018 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by 73n95 (Post 1596755505)
Ah the quest. Deciding on the perfect choice is not only pervasive, it also changes. Perhaps this is why we need one of each but then, which one to drive? Man, its great to have choices!

:iagree:

I have both. They are both great cars, but different.

Although the C5 is better in many objective categories, the C4 is my favorite because of the feel when driving it.

To make up your mind, make sure to drive several of each and see which you like better.

Good luck.

billschroeder5842 03-10-2018 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by 81c3 (Post 1596755622)
Yes, the ZR-1 will probably cost as much or a little more than a mid to high mile Z06 and the Z06 will squeak out a bit more power, have a little better gas mileage (although I could care less)... but the ZR-1 is my choice for overall better Corvette.:cheers:

Yes, this is what I've heard and what I'm afraid of. A car buddy who has had both told me that the Z06 will have similiar power to a ZR1 and handle better BUT he says that the overall driving experience of the ZR1 is better. He said I might be disappointed at how similiar the cars are.

I got my ZR1 from the origional owner (I even have the bill of sale from 1991) so I'm keeping that one.

FAUEE 03-10-2018 12:03 PM

The bog difference in the c5 is the steering. There's a complete lack of steering feel and feedback. It's far more of a grand tourer than a sports car. It' definitely easier to live with day to day, but it' less of an occasion. But with nice C5z being in the upper teens, it is quite the value.

That said, the Frc has no stiffness advantage. It is lighter, but there' nothing to that roof. It's effectively a bolted in hardtop for a convertible. It is lighter, but there' no stiffness to it, and actually the hatchback has better aero. Many racers looking for the extra edge use the hatch style for the aero advantage, a lean rear glass negates the weight advantage of the frc.

Lingenfelter 03-10-2018 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by FAUEE (Post 1596756286)
The bog difference in the c5 is the steering. There's a complete lack of steering feel and feedback. It's far more of a grand tourer than a sports car. It' definitely easier to live with day to day, but it' less of an occasion. But with nice C5z being in the upper teens, it is quite the value.

That said, the Frc has no stiffness advantage. It is lighter, but there' nothing to that roof. It's effectively a bolted in hardtop for a convertible. It is lighter, but there' no stiffness to it, and actually the hatchback has better aero. Many racers looking for the extra edge use the hatch style for the aero advantage, a lean rear glass negates the weight advantage of the frc.

FRC body style is officially 12% stiffer. So, not a huge difference but still somewhat noticeable as there are no rattles inside cabin. The C5Z is also lighter than a base C5 and in my opinion cooler and more unique looking. The titanium exhaust on the Z is lighter and sounds amazing. With less insulation and thinner glass/windshield to save weight, the Z sounds and drives very raw. I would not give up my Lingenfelter edition C4, it's an awesome cruiser. But, I also love my C5Z. It's funny I find myself defending both generations on c4 and c5 forums. That's sad...

billschroeder5842 03-10-2018 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Lingenfelter (Post 1596757323)
It's funny I find myself defending both generations on c4 and c5 forums. That's sad...

I have two daughters who are very different. I love them both equally for differnet reasons.

Defend them both equally!

FAUEE 03-10-2018 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Lingenfelter (Post 1596757323)
FRC body style is officially 12% stiffer. So, not a huge difference but still somewhat noticeable as there are no rattles inside cabin. The C5Z is also lighter than a base C5 and in my opinion cooler and more unique looking. The titanium exhaust on the Z is lighter and sounds amazing. With less insulation and thinner glass/windshield to save weight, the Z sounds and drives very raw. I would not give up my Lingenfelter edition C4, it's an awesome cruiser. But, I also love my C5Z. It's funny I find myself defending both generations on c4 and c5 forums. That's sad...

I respect the C5Z. GM tried, and came out with a great track car you could still live with every day. I don't love the looks of the FRC, but a well done c5z does look good (partial to white and red personally). It may not be my personal favorite, but it's the best car you can buy for under 20 grand IMO.

I have given thought to downsizing my Vette fleet into a single c5z. I don't k ow that I ever will, but the idea of a great car for such low money is hard to ignore.

Mr. Peabody 03-10-2018 06:28 PM

I don't blame you for looking.... I own both a 95 as well as an 04 and agree with a lot of what's been said.

Let me offer this for your consideration. I've driven both of my cars a lot. At this stage of the game you're not going to pay much of a premium for the last year of the model run over the first several years.... but you will get a more refined, more bug free car with less part obsolescence issues. If you decide to go for a C5 go for an 03 or an 04:cheers:

BTW I would advise anyone looking to buy a C4 for the first time to do the same thing; 95 or 96 for the same reasons.

blackozvet 03-11-2018 03:48 AM

We have got one of each, the C4 is a Saturday night cruiser and the C5 is a more refined car.
if you need comfort and air con that works its always the C5,
the biggest issue with the C4 is reliability - I have limped that thing home a few times with issues that you never saw coming !

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...370235639c.jpg