CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Finally can reset OLM (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4112671-finally-can-reset-olm.html)

TEXHAWK0 03-12-2018 10:35 AM

Finally can reset OLM

I can finally turn off the annoying chime and message, but wanted to see when OLM would actually go to zero...
Not high mileage, so it was 1 year and 5 days since last reset.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...91337be45b.jpg

Grand Slam 03-12-2018 09:02 PM

As I understand it, the Oil Life Monitoring system is based on both driving conditions and time since last change. It will go to zero 1 year after the last oil change whether driven or not.

TEXHAWK0 03-12-2018 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Grand Slam (Post 1596771858)
As I understand it, the Oil Life Monitoring system is based on both driving conditions and time since last change. It will go to zero 1 year after the last oil change whether driven or not.

Yep. That's what I was checking.

owc6 03-12-2018 10:50 PM

One year and 5 days. Interesting the five days. :lol:

Mine went to zero last week at about 7900 miles. Oil change was the first of December.

It's cool how it will watch out for all of us no matter our driving styles and usage. :thumbs:

Skid Row Joe 03-12-2018 11:58 PM

Still must have a default to zero based on time, if after 1-year. Suppose you've driven it zero miles. It'd be a no-brainer that the oil and filter are still new. So, why would it be necessary to do so?

EDIT: (separate issue)
How do you reset the system?

Foosh 03-13-2018 12:11 AM

You can reset it at any time by going to the OLM display and holding down the center button on the right side of the steering wheel in the middle of the 4 arrows. However, it would be really stupid to do that unless you've just changed the oil and filter.

Steve_R 03-13-2018 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe (Post 1596772843)
Still must have a default to zero based on time, if after 1-year. Suppose you've driven it zero miles. It'd be a no-brainer that the oil and filter are still new. How do you reset the system?

It’s easy to reset, but why risk voiding the warranty? GM says to change the oil & filter when the OLM reaches 0. Why wouldn’t you do that?

Skid Row Joe 03-13-2018 02:02 AM

Guess I'm not understanding completely. If the system times out miles left to change in 1-year time anyway, it won't matter how many miles you've driven. The call will be to change oil/filter after 1-year, even if your new oil and filter isn't driven even one mile. Right?

Avanti 03-13-2018 02:04 AM

No biggie, since it's easy to reset any time you wish and change oil on YOUR schedule. I've been doing that with my C5 for 17 years and never heard a chime, and don't expect to on the '18 either. :yesnod:

Foosh 03-13-2018 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe (Post 1596773146)
Guess I'm not understanding completely. If the system times out miles left to change in 1-year time anyway, it won't matter how many miles you've driven. The call will be to change oil/filter after 1-year, even if your new oil and filter isn't driven even one mile. Right?

That is correct. However, GM required maintenance on this car is to change to oil once every 12 months regardless of mileage. Deviating from that guidance is at your own risk for warranty purposes.

Patman 03-13-2018 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe (Post 1596773146)

If you own a Corvette and don't even drive it one mile in a year then maybe you shouldn't own a Corvette but should just buy a picture of one :lol:

eboggs_jkvl 03-13-2018 10:22 AM

Patience in you is great!

The 2nd time the voice came on I screamed at the dash, "Stop nagging me woman, I'll get it done in my own time!"

Elmer

Vetteman Jack 03-13-2018 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Foosh (Post 1596773696)
That is correct. However, GM required maintenance on this car is to change to oil once every 12 months regardless of mileage. Deviating from that guidance is at your own risk for warranty purposes.

:yesnod:

Skid Row Joe 03-13-2018 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Steve_R (Post 1596772897)
It’s easy to reset, but why risk voiding the warranty? GM says to change the oil & filter when the OLM reaches 0. Why wouldn’t you do that?

Explain how GM is going to prove whether or not the oil/filter was changed? Esp. when resetting the OLM has nothing to do with changing the oil & filter? It appears as if some of you have not thought this thing through.:lol:

Foosh 03-13-2018 03:15 PM

There will no record of at least an annual change in GMVIS. Unless one has contrived an elaborate plot and purchased oil and filter and have a dated sales receipt in compliance with the requirement, you'll have no proof that you are in compliance come warranty time.

Lastly, in case of engine damage or failure, GM will perform an oil analysis.

Sounds like you haven't thought this thing through.:thumbs:

Skid Row Joe 03-13-2018 03:26 PM

The elaborate plot to buy oil and filters occasionally is easy enough. Just buy em and return em without the receipt. Stop by a Chevy dealer and have em record it. You're going to have to do this anyway, regardless whether you changed your oil & filter or not.

Lastly, in the unlikely event of engine failure, change oil & filter before delivering the car to Chev. dealer.

Are you following here?

Foosh 03-13-2018 03:28 PM

Man, what is wrong with you? If you're going to go to all that trouble, just change the freaking oil. If you put miles on the car, the oil analysis will also bust your ass, including that totally fresh oil in your blown engine.

A GM dealer is not going to record your oil change unless they do it.

Skid Row Joe 03-13-2018 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Patman (Post 1596774357)
If you own a Corvette and don't even drive it one mile in a year then maybe you shouldn't own a Corvette but should just buy a picture of one :lol:

Why would you buy a new Corvette, and not even drive it one mile? Not that it's anyone else's business. :lol:

Skid Row Joe 03-13-2018 03:44 PM

If you want to get down to the basics of whether the oil was changed or not, then a GM dealer is going to have to do the oil changing. Do I have that right?

If so, then the requirement is to only use a GM shop for those oil changes. If the OLM and GM's records of oil changes don't match, you're in trouble. If I'm understanding the car's capabilities correctly, resetting the oil life meter has nothing to do with actually changing the oil & filter. Furthermore, OnStar will record that reset. Whether you changed the oil and filter or not.

If any of the above is inaccurate, please point out the discrepancy/ies.

I'm trying to understand exactly how GM's system works, not whether the oil & filter need to be changed at 1-year intervals, regardless the miles accrued

owc6 03-13-2018 04:24 PM

GM doesn't need to prove you failed to change the oil, you may have to prove that you did if push comes to shove.

There is no requirement that you use a GM dealer for this service, you just need proof that this service was performed. This could be receipts from some other shop or from the products you bought from Autozone or Walmart or wherever .

GM can choose to look at all the required service stated in the OM, and the OM says to change the oil when the OLM says to, which ,for the C7, occurs at least once a year depending on how much you drive.