CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Options that give you the least value for the price (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4112703-options-that-give-you-the-least-value-for-the-price.html)

jeffnoa 03-12-2018 12:16 PM

Options that give you the least value for the price

I was looking at new Corvettes and one of the options on the sticker was a Seat Processing Code for $695. That was a charge that provided absolutely no value, nor as I could determine any addition to the car. Another Vette had Spice Red Design Package for $3,000. I could not see other than the color change to the interior what was the benefit of that option. Just get one with a regular red interior and spend $3,000 on some real performance options. I know to each his own, but what would you consider to be the options that make no sense value wise. I'm going with the Seat Processing Code for $695.

Strake 03-12-2018 12:21 PM

This thread should be good !!!

One could say that the Carbon Fiber dash that I paid $995 for is one of those items. It only LOOKS good ( to me) and adds no real value.

There are likely another 40 items offered that only add to the "looks" of the car, and doesn't DO anything.

To me, one of the most overpriced options, for the value received is the PDR / NAV. I have it as it's part of the 3LT package, but honestly, I use WAZE on my phone usually and my Street Guardian Dash Cam (used in our other car) offers better performance at a fraction of the cost.

PS...... I'm happy with the choices that we factory ordered. NO regrets.

NashvilleGrandSport 03-12-2018 12:23 PM

My GS has chrome wheels, exposed CF hood and roof and CF side skirts plus PDR and two tone interior. It's a 2LT, but you could argue most of those options are unnecessary and with $20k in options, you might have a case ... but I like everything about the car... except I would have eliminated the PDR at $1800 if I could have.

dbaker 03-12-2018 12:26 PM

JMO.....many folks here would probably agree that the 2LT pkg is the sweet spot for options and for many ( not all) 3LT pkg gives the least money back at sale or trade.

As always,it's about personal preference.

\db2

Patman 03-12-2018 12:29 PM

As time goes on, the options you've added to your new C7 will be worthless in the resale market anyways. You just need to look at the prices of used C5s and C6s right now, you won't get any extra money for the cars that have the top trim level or Z51 or the transparent roof, etc. The value is determined by the overall condition of the car and the mileage on it.

And even in the short term, extra options don't add much value. If you add $15,000 in options and sell your car 2 years later you probably won't even get $5000 extra compared to the same car with zero options.

fsvoboda 03-12-2018 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by jeffnoa (Post 1596768147)
I was looking at new Corvettes and one of the options on the sticker was a Seat Processing Code for $695. That was a charge that provided absolutely no value, nor as I could determine any addition to the car. Another Vette had Spice Red Design Package for $3,000. I could not see other than the color change to the interior what was the benefit of that option. Just get one with a regular red interior and spend $3,000 on some real performance options. I know to each his own, but what would you consider to be the options that make no sense value wise. I'm going with the Seat Processing Code for $695.

Most cosmetic options are going to add minimal value. My vote would be for the full length stripes from the factory, which if I remember correctly are $2K. Value added at trade-in, $0. If you look at a source like KBB.com you'll see that they don't even include a check-off box for a number of items, which tells you how the market values them.

That's not to say that people shouldn't buy such options if they want them, just that they should know what they're getting.

If I remember correctly, the most percentage return on initial cost is the base 1Lt.

:cheers:

steve8 03-12-2018 12:39 PM

pdr nav seems like a total waste of money, to me.

jeffnoa 03-12-2018 01:30 PM

Waste of Money Options

Originally Posted by steve8 (Post 1596768272)

Interesting on the PDR/Navi - The 2017 leftover I just purchased last month (my first brand new Vette) had that option and now have to figure out how to use it. I have to agree that the cost vs value is probably not there. But I accepted that option already on the car based on the deal: MSRP $70,515 - Purchase Price $52,485 (had $1,810 of GM Card money). It was a 2LT Z51 (Blue with Grey interior). I am absolutely amazed at the car. Previously had a base 72 Vette which I traded for a 96 LT4 Conv which I then traded for a 2015 Mustang GT Conv. I traded the Mustang GT on the 2017 Vette. I'm glad to be back in the Vette family.

Kent1999 03-12-2018 01:35 PM

I like the big screen NAV in dash, and not a 4 inch phone hanging on a K-mart bracket, so Nav is a must-have for me. And yes, paying $1300 to upgrade my 2014 to car play is a waste of money too.

Given their extremely feeble and almost imperceptible performance, I'd say the heated/cooled seats are a total waste of money. (yeah, ... I know they're not a stand-alone option, but they do add cost to the 2/3LT package)

changw1 03-12-2018 01:38 PM

In my opinion, chrome wheel will have negative value.

dvilin 03-12-2018 01:38 PM

:iagree:[QUOTE=Kent1999;1596768647]I like the big screen NAV in dash, and not a 4 inch phone hanging on a K-mart bracket, so Nav is a must-have for me. And yes, paying $1300 to upgrade my 2014 to car play is a waste of money too.

Given their extremely feeble and almost imperceptible performance, I'd say the heated/cooled seats are a total waste of money. (yeah, save it... I know they're not a stand-alone option, but they do add cost to the 2/3LT package)[/QUOTE]

jimmbbo 03-12-2018 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by dbaker (Post 1596768207)
JMO.....many folks here would probably agree that the 2LT pkg is the sweet spot for options and for many ( not all) 3LT pkg gives the least money back at sale or trade.
As always,it's about personal preference.
\db2

:iagree:
IMO the 3LT is nice, and the 1LT is fine for a track car, but the 2LT was the right combination of features/cost for a cruising/occasional track car... If all options were listed separately, my final list would have been very close to the 2LT configuration.

MSG C5 03-12-2018 01:43 PM

I have an easier time spending the extra money on the 3LZ interior because I enjoy it every time I drive it than I do spending the money on the exterior exposed carbon fiber trim.

I agree this thread should get interesting...

onyx_z71 03-12-2018 01:44 PM

For a lot of people the $995 dual stripe package will make it worth less.

jimmbbo 03-12-2018 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by jeffnoa (Post 1596768147)

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!
:lurk:

fsvoboda 03-12-2018 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by steve8 (Post 1596768272)

All the NAV hardware should already be there on all C7s. I don't understand why there isn't an option to activate a nav program at much less cost than the PDR. (My wife's Jeep Cherokee included this. It took less than 1/3 the PDR cost and about a half an hour in the driveway to activate.)

:cheers:

Har-ray 03-12-2018 01:50 PM

undercoating!

GoatHead 03-12-2018 01:53 PM

Very subjective, and largely depends on who you will be selling the car to. Trading the car to a dealer, one should not expect to get anything back. For private party, it is a whole different game. Someone may be looking specifically for PDR, HUD, Aero package, stripes, specific color, etc. This person will be willing to pay more to get what he wants. When I was buying my car, new, I had specific options I was looking for and wouldn't compromise for lower price. If I were to buy used, it would have been the same. I'd be willing to pay more to get what I want.

That being said, there are few options that are very overpriced, like the carbon dash, carbon roof, carbon hood insert, aero package. They look very good, but the price is steep. I personally have the carbon dash and the exposed carbon aero package. Too pricey, yes.... but I wanted it.

hot_rod 03-12-2018 01:55 PM

Lowest value option on resale... $5k to pick your own vin number!

fsvoboda 03-12-2018 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Har-ray (Post 1596768795)
undercoating!

Rustproofing!! :rofl: