CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Help with oil dip stick (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/4112724-help-with-oil-dip-stick.html)

Silverwolf_pup 03-12-2018 01:11 PM

Help with oil dip stick

Need help reading oil dip stick, i have never done my own maintenance on my cars, but i want to learn and do it myself, i like doing it, its fun and i want to do it right. Anyway changed the oil in my vette for the first time a couple of weeks ago, the only problem is i am having trouble reading the dip stick, when i take it out the oil forms on the stick but it streaks up and past the fill line, i get a few different readings, making it tough to tell how much more oil to put in. Please help?

grantv 03-12-2018 01:14 PM

Let the car sit for longer before checking? Regardless, the level is basically where the solid coverage ends.

Silverwolf_pup 03-12-2018 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by grantv (Post 1596768498)
Let the car sit for longer before checking? Regardless, the level is basically where the solid coverage ends.

Thanks i will do that, just been having trouble, i'm a newbie car mechanic LOL :crazy:

Velocity_Vette 03-12-2018 01:45 PM

I've always had a fairly difficult time reading oil dipsticks - especially slotted ones - as my vision is not super good. I never consider these sort of topics silly.

What I do is when I pull the dipstick with my right hand, I immediately clasp it against a paper towel in my left hand, then clasp close. While the oil will soak into the paper, it will give a fairly rough estimate to what level it's at based on the heavily soaked part of the paper towel comparable to the dipstick. Then since it's in my hand anyway I can wipe clean and reinsert for a second confirmation reading.

Per above too car needs to be completely level when checking, and even doubly so with a Corvette as it has a relatively shallow sump. Any sort of uneven surface can really throw off the reading.

Another trick I've seen people do is drill five small holes into the stick, one for each of the furthest readings and three evenly spaced. If all five spaces are filled when pulled then good to go.

00Midnight 03-12-2018 02:19 PM

need to wipe stick after pulling it first time then insert a second time slowly in and out. that will provide a more accurate reading.

Phanni 03-12-2018 02:44 PM

Also hold dipstick parallel to ground (when trying to read it) to prevent the oil from moving up or down the stick.

Vetteman Jack 03-12-2018 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by 00Midnight (Post 1596769012)
need to wipe stick after pulling it first time then insert a second time slowly in and out. that will provide a more accurate reading.

That's the way I do mine and haven't had any problems getting a good reading on the dipstick.

grantv 03-12-2018 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by 00Midnight (Post 1596769012)

Yes, first step...

neutron82 03-12-2018 11:58 PM

let it sit overnight and then check it, then you should be able to pull the dipstick right out without wiping it down and get an accurate reading

Simtech 03-13-2018 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by neutron82 (Post 1596772844)
let it sit overnight and then check it, then you should be able to pull the dipstick right out without wiping it down and get an accurate reading

I have always heard that the oil will creep up the dipstick slightly while sitting and that is why you wipe it and then retake the reading. May or may not be true but I always figure better safe than sorry.:rock:

Silverwolf_pup 03-13-2018 12:03 PM

Thanks everyone for your help.

Sydwayz 03-13-2018 02:41 PM

Sometimes, looking on the back of the stick gives a little bit better cue, and then correlate that to the fill marks on the front.

Grandpa1 03-13-2018 03:09 PM

I've been reading this post with awe and thought I'd throw in my 69 years of automobile experience.
It also depends on how you hold your mouth too. You must have your mouth closed and not open. Feet slightly apart and shoulders even when you check the oil in your car.

~Josh 03-13-2018 03:20 PM

LS engines have a lot of lifter noise (sound in general) due to the aluminum block.

A trick we use at the shop is to run 10w30 oil instead of 5w30. It quiets them down.

Yello95 03-13-2018 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by ~Josh (Post 1596776639)
LS engines have a lot of lifter noise (sound in general) due to the aluminum block.

A trick we use at the shop is to run 10w30 oil instead of 5w30. It quiets them down.

I have been using 10W30 for years :thumbs:

6speedsteve 03-15-2018 12:18 PM

I wipe down mine with Acetone, then color the end of the dip stick with a black sharpie.

nsogiba 03-15-2018 01:08 PM

Some tongue in cheek responses in here from members who are obviously very experienced - I give the original poster lots of credit for trying something new and doing something he wasn't previously comfortable with.

I've never had an issue reading the oil level with the factory dipstick. Here is my procedure:

1. Cold engine, preferably sitting overnight, car sitting on LEVEL SURFACE. Letting the car sit overnight will allow all oil in the heads/valley to drain into the pan, and any oil in the dipstick tube to come back down also (minimizing "streaking" on the dipstick as it gets pulled through the tube).
2. Remove dipstick, wipe the entire thing clean using a rag or shop towel.
3. Reinsert the dipstick all the way into the tube until it stops.
4. Slowly remove the dipstick. As it comes out, grab the dipstick with the rag about 6" from the bottom tip to stabilize it.
5. Read the oil level at the bottom of the stick. Add oil as necessary.

Some members have recommended drilling tiny holes in order to help the oil cling.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...stick-mod.html

http://www.toquez06.com/dipstick/dipstick.jpg

Good luck and let us know how you make out!

moncal90 03-15-2018 01:19 PM

I think everyone here has got you covered on how to read the dipstick.. I wanted to give you props and say congratulations on entering the world of car maintenance. It is a lot of fun and feels good when you try something new and get it done. :thumbs: