CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Corvette driver dies. (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4112791-corvette-driver-dies.html)

DINO84 03-12-2018 04:03 PM

Corvette driver dies.

I'm not sure what year his car was. But it was around 30 degrees last friday night . Not a good idea . Too much HP for slippery roads in my opinion. https://www.channel3000.com/news/ill...-say/714335601 :sadangel:

Steve_R 03-12-2018 04:06 PM

The problem isn't HP, it's how it's used - or misused. I've driven my C7 in single digit temps many times and never wrecked or lost control.

The article doesn't say what year the Vette was or how much HP it had - or much of anything else. :shrug:

newskatercat 03-12-2018 04:13 PM

:sadangel::sadangel: No seatbelt on! Might have made a difference! :yesnod:

eboggs_jkvl 03-12-2018 04:30 PM

No seatbelt. partially ejected and head was decapitated. HP might or might not have caused it. Ice might or might not have caused it. No seatbelt definitely was the reason the guy was killed.

Elmer

PatternDayTrader 03-12-2018 04:41 PM

I actually wrecked a car because I wasn't wearing a seatbelt.
I had unintentionally slid into a curb with the right rear wheel. The next thing that happened was momentum flung me into the passenger seat and couldn't drive the car because the steering wheel is on the drivers side. Ultimately I ended up careening over the curb on the other side of the road, chopping through a real estate sign and stopping in someone's front yard.
I would have maintained control had I been wearing a seat belt, because I would have been held in the drivers seat and in front of the steering wheel.

Skidplate 03-12-2018 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader (Post 1596770031)
I actually wrecked a car because I wasn't wearing a seatbelt.
I had unintentionally slid into a curb with the right rear wheel. The next thing that happened was momentum flung me into the passenger seat and couldn't drive the car because the steering wheel is on the drivers side. Ultimately I ended up careening over the curb on the other side of the road, chopping through a real estate sign and stopping in someone's front yard.
I would have maintained control had I been wearing a seat belt, because I would have been held in the drivers seat and in front of the steering wheel.

My first car was a hand-me down 1965 Chevy Biscayne, 4 BBL 327 w/double hump heads, 3 on the tree and police and taxicab vinyl seats. The seats were slick as ice and durable enough to withstand anything a high school kid could spill, smear, drip or drop on them. I quickly learned that not having my seat belt on meant I would not stay behind the wheel on most any turn.

I lost track of how many clutches and transmission rebuilds I needed.

smajicek 03-12-2018 05:38 PM

why do people not wear seat-belts? I put on my seat belt like my clean set of underwear every morning. I wonder if those that don't wear seat-belts forget to put on their underwear on? :smash::smash::smash:

Walt White Coupe 03-12-2018 06:09 PM

It funny how times change. Once the majority smoked and now smoking is outlawed almost everywhere and smokers are scorned. When the gov't mandated seat belts and then passed laws to make it illegal to not wear them, probably a majority here called it taking away their individual rights and the car companies fought the installation tooth and nail. Now we feel naked if not buckled up.

dvilin 03-12-2018 06:17 PM

Doubt it had much to do with it being a Corvette. No seatbelt, what else was he doing or not doing to cause this.

snow 03-12-2018 06:19 PM

not a vette issue "stupid is as stupid does" RIP...

Silver C7 03-12-2018 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by smajicek (Post 1596770408)
why do people not wear seat-belts? I put on my seat belt like my clean set of underwear every morning. I wonder if those that don't wear seat-belts forget to put on their underwear on? :smash::smash::smash:

Just think of all the crashes we’ve seen during Indy, NASCAR and Formula One races where drivers simply unbuckled their five point belt and walked away. After seeing that just once, how could you not fasten your seatbelt.

Woodson 03-12-2018 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Steve_R (Post 1596769753)
The problem isn't HP, it's how it's used - or misused. I've driven my C7 in single digit temps many times and never wrecked or lost control.

The article doesn't say what year the Vette was or how much HP it had - or much of anything else. :shrug:

:iagree: Or even that it was a C7.

'Merica 03-12-2018 06:45 PM

I bet his first thought when the Corvette got away from him...I wish I had buckled up. A shitty way to go knowing it most likely could have easily been prevented. My uncle never wore his, and passed away 14 years ago due to a wreck that severed his aorta. Such a stupid reason to have to bury someone you love. I work with a guy that is no older than 25, 5 children, doesn't wear his and is constantly on his phone. Blows my mind.

PatternDayTrader 03-12-2018 06:58 PM

I have been in dozens of motorcycle accidents, that's what qualifies me to speak on this issue.
In addition to the fact that a seat belt keeps you in front of the steering wheel; if people only knew how hard you hit, even at say 20mph, no one, and I really mean no one, wouldn't wear a seat belt.

sunsalem 03-12-2018 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe (Post 1596770631)
It funny how times change. Once the majority smoked and now smoking is outlawed almost everywhere and smokers are scorned. When the gov't mandated seat belts and then passed laws to make it illegal to not wear them, probably a majority here called it taking away their individual rights and the car companies fought the installation tooth and nail. Now we feel naked if not buckled up.

It's amazing a govt. mandate has saved so many lives over the years.
Now if they just outlaw tobacco...;)

Originally Posted by 'Merica (Post 1596770879)
I work with a guy that is no older than 25, 5 children, doesn't wear his and is constantly on his phone. Blows my mind.

You can't fix stupid...:(

Woodson 03-12-2018 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader (Post 1596770981)
I have been in dozens of motorcycle accidents,.

:eek: I hope it's from racing. If you're crashing that often on the road I'd give it up if I were you.

PatternDayTrader 03-12-2018 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Woodson (Post 1596771331)
:eek: I hope it's from racing. If you're crashing that often on the road I'd give it up if I were you.

Correct.
Racing on a track with full safety gear and an ambulance onsite.

TSLAVette 03-12-2018 10:07 PM

Prayers for the family of the deceased. Doubt he planned his trip to end the way in which it did.

Life is short. Give thanks to the most high for every day. They are gifts as are our loved ones.

owc6 03-12-2018 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by DINO84 (Post 1596769730)
I'm not sure what year his car was. But it was around 30 degrees last friday night . Not a good idea . Too much HP for slippery roads in my opinion. https://www.channel3000.com/news/ill...-say/714335601 :sadangel:

Heaven only knows what caused this crash, because that article doesn't tell us, but for sure seat belts could have made the difference.

I've been wearing seatbelts since the late 50's.

My dad was an aeronautical engineer, and started having seatbelts installed since before I was born. He understood the importance of being belted in. We weren't allowed to not be. He would stop and do the rant " I guess you don't love yourself" if belts weren't fastened, or the doors weren't locked (he also understood the importance of that extra layer of protection during a crash).

In fact, it was so indoctrinated into us, that by the time I started driving, the warning that we would lose our driving privileges if caught not wearing a seatbelt was not really even necessary.

Mike1320 03-12-2018 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe (Post 1596770631)

Au contraire (at least in my case). In 1965 I bought my first car and it didn't have seat belts. My first trip was to Western Auto where I bought a set and drove straight home to install them. They even matched my interior color. Of course I'd been autocrossing my father's car for a year and I was Navy aircrew so I knew the value of seat belts, but I never felt like it was an intrusion. Oh, and I never smoked (beer however,,,).