CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Salty Roads-I refuse to take the cover off the C7 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4114696-salty-roads-i-refuse-to-take-the-cover-off-the-c7.html)

Jeffthunbird 03-17-2018 11:52 AM

Salty Roads-I refuse to take the cover off the C7

This sucks. Winter won't end around here. It's a sunny day but the melted snow is making the roads wet and it is salt water. I'm holding off a few more days. Hopefully the weather will turn soon.
I know I'm saving the car for the next owner but I still don't want the undersides covered in salt.
And then, today, I see a new (what looked to be new) Ferrari out on the roads. I guess there is something wrong with me. :willy:

Thespian 03-17-2018 02:01 PM

You're not alone... same situation here. LOL!

Borntorun04/17 03-17-2018 02:32 PM

Roads around here are still white ! Just it's not snow, but salt and salt dust. It will be a while longer before mine gets out from under the cover.

LIStingray 03-17-2018 02:32 PM

Not alone. We got our first snow on December 8th, and the roads have been basically salt covered since. Hopefully next week's nor'easter (4th in 4 weeks) will be the last snow we get for this season and I can get the GS out soon. I am having Corvette withdrawals (and I had hoped to get some mileage in on my Gs before I head out to Spring Mountain on 3/28), but having just a few minutes ago cleaned the thick layer of salt off our four daily drivers from this week's snow/sleet event, I realize there isn't much I can do about it - the roads have so much salt on them that the black asphalt is still white.

xxaarraa 03-17-2018 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jeffthunbird (Post 1596802187)
And then, today, I see a new (what looked to be new) Ferrari out on the roads. I guess there is something wrong with me. :willy:

Yes. Something is wrong with you. Cars are meant to be driven. The Vette isn't nearly exotic enough by any stretch of imagination to be coddled under covers. Live a little.

DALE#3 03-17-2018 02:53 PM

SUCKS,Yes.My car ain't getting that CORROSIVE Shit on it.Price we pay if you care about the car to not have issues.
Can't Win.The Perfect Weather is where everyone goes.Guess what? You ain't moving,you sit in traffic.Live in Florida.June threw August.Go top less during daytime and sit in traffic.Real enjoyable
Southern Cali,Perfect..Can't move,can't afford a normal living space per square foot.No privacy.House on top of house.
PATIENTS...Are running real thin

Range_Rat 03-17-2018 04:02 PM

Road salt and brine is pretty much gone here, although I will still wait for a good hard rain to clear off the residuals.

More of a concern is the sand/gravel that has accumulated because of road sanding, and the tar/gravel mix that they road crews will be using to patch up potholes, etc. It's like driving on gravel roads (don't follow too close behind the cars and trucks in front of you) until road crews can get that all cleaned up.

Italianfox 03-17-2018 04:10 PM

This sucks. Winter won't end around here. It's a sunny day but the melted snow is making the roads wet and it is salt water. I'm holding off a few more days. Hopefully the weather will turn soon.
I know I'm saving the car for the next owner but I still don't want the undersides covered in salt.

Pray for rain. I am:D

Kevin A Jones 03-17-2018 04:18 PM

Nothing wrong with you!

Originally Posted by xxaarraa (Post 1596803159)
Yes. Something is wrong with you. Cars are meant to be driven. The Vette isn't nearly exotic enough by any stretch of imagination to be coddled under covers. Live a little.

Some like to keep their C7s clean and nice topside/inside/underside, others could't care less. Totally personnel preference, no need to slam others because they don't share your opinion.

dvilin 03-17-2018 04:31 PM

Feel your pain not much fun driving on cold, crappy roads. Got my 2019 Z06 last Saturday and still waiting for that first drive.

Vet Interested 03-17-2018 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by DALE#3 (Post 1596803202)
SUCKS,Yes.My car ain't getting that CORROSIVE Shit on it.Price we pay if you care about the car to not have issues.
Can't Win.The Perfect Weather is where everyone goes.Guess what? You ain't moving,you sit in traffic.Live in Florida.June threw August.Go top less during daytime and sit in traffic.Real enjoyable
Southern Cali,Perfect..Can't move,can't afford a normal living space per square foot.No privacy.House on top of house.
PATIENTS...Are running real thin

Stay in the garage until the salt is gone. Bad stuff. I experienced it in Chicago. Here in San Diego we are lucky enough to have a decent house. Decent weather. Happy where I am at. But I can't drive today because of the weather.....rain!! LOL, Tomorrow will be nice driving weather like yesterday was.

Kevin A Jones 03-17-2018 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by dvilin (Post 1596803640)
Feel your pain not much fun driving on cold, crappy roads. Got my 2019 Z06 last Saturday and still waiting for that first drive.

Oh, I bet you are! I obviously love your color combo. :thumbs:

Scruff Vette 03-17-2018 08:14 PM

Warning: Graphic disturbing images below.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...f60f1dab50.jpg

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...4106519891.jpg

Range_Rat 03-17-2018 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Scruff Vette (Post 1596804818)
Warning: Graphic disturbing images below.

:willy: Eyes cannot unsee what has already been seen! :willy:

Greg00Coupe 03-17-2018 09:33 PM

Cold wether high HP salt roads the car is a bear to keep the wheels from spinning but such a blast. I drive mine every day but very aware of the traction limitations even with winter tires

markmo 03-18-2018 06:46 AM

I feel your pain, and noticing your location, I probably drive on many of the same roads you do. I broke my leg 2 weeks ago so I don't think I'll be driving for another 3 or 4 weeks regardless of what the weather does.

DALE#3 03-18-2018 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Vet Interested (Post 1596803667)
Stay in the garage until the salt is gone. Bad stuff. I experienced it in Chicago. Here in San Diego we are lucky enough to have a decent house. Decent weather. Happy where I am at. But I can't drive today because of the weather.....rain!! LOL, Tomorrow will be nice driving weather like yesterday was.

My daughter drove out their about 5 yrs. ago with her boy friend.After he only wanted to party see kicked the Loser out.She has been very successful on her own and recently purchased a home.Very proud Poppy here.Miss her a lot.
Beautiful weather for sure.Ton of congestion i would dread.Can't have it all.What is of more import-ants to you is what matters.Enjoy your drive

xxaarraa 03-18-2018 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones (Post 1596803577)
Some like to keep their C7s clean and nice topside/inside/underside, others could't care less. Totally personnel preference, no need to slam others because they don't share your opinion.

He asked a question and I answered his question. There is no slamming involved. Relax.

patentcad 03-18-2018 08:33 AM

As much as I miss driving my car, when I look at it all waxed, beautiful and pristine in my garage the thought of taking it out for an hour spin and then having to do the whole wash/wax treatment immediately upon my return makes me just sigh and resign myself to driving it when rain has washed the salt away and temps are above 50ºF so the tires stick better.

That and we just got a Subaru Crosstrek and the car is a pisser. UNstoppable in snow. 8.6" of ground clearance, one of the best AWD systems you can buy AND 30+ mpg in real world mixed driving. Re-designed for 2018 by Subaru, they took a good car and made it great. Underpowered perhaps, but the tradeoff is well worth it. And I'm not kidding about 30 mpg on that car, if you set the cruise control on 70mph and drive 100+ miles the car will average 33-34 mpg.

Fun to drive (remember the underlying platform is the same as a WRX, or will be as soon as they update that car to the new platform). Amazing car, a dead cross between an SUV and an economy car. I've owned 30+ cars and never had my expectations blown away by a car like this one has. The C7 was #2 in that category, but in fairness to the C7, my expectations (coming out of a C6) were very high, they were not for the Subaru.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...10e87c1d49.jpg

Vetteman Jack 03-18-2018 09:08 AM

We haven’t had near the winter that many of you have had but there is still some salt out on the roads. I want to get mine out also, but it needs to come a good rain first. Hopefully soon.