CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Are all years of C7 TPMS identical? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4116226-are-all-years-of-c7-tpms-identical.html)

Gearhead Jim 03-20-2018 11:02 PM

Are all years of C7 TPMS identical?

Our car is a 2017 Z51.

Today I was given a set of 4 sensors from a 2014 Z51.
They had been driven less than 2k miles, then removed and sat on the shelf since ever since.
They should be good for a few more years of storage, especially with that low mileage.
I might keep them as spares, if they will be compatible with our car.

So, is there any difference in C7 TPMS from 2014 up to 2019?
Thanks!

LT1 Z51 03-21-2018 07:34 AM

GM uses all the same TPMS. Most OEMs do.

What's important is the sensor frequency, it needs to be for the correct market.

Gearhead Jim 03-22-2018 10:23 AM

Thanks, and Good.
Nice that they haven't changed the specs during the generation, like on the C6.

orca1946 03-22-2018 05:13 PM

They need to be reset to the car that they are installed on. I had to have my winter tire/wheels reset to reflect what is on the car.

Foosh 03-22-2018 05:23 PM

TPMS is the same on all model years, and they do not need to be reset. When I took delivery of my 18 in mid-Feb, I put on the winter set I had on my '14, and they were instantly read.

I've been switching wheel sets back and forth for 2 years now, without having to do anything to the TPMS sensors.

Gearhead Jim 03-23-2018 12:04 PM

When I had a wheel/tire switched at Spring Mountain last month, they did use a tool to match the "new" sensor with the car (actually, trained all 4). So there must be some value to doing that.

When I installed 4 extra wheels with new sensors last Fall, the TPMS did not synch immediately, so I drove around the block and the readings were updating by the time I got home.

Foosh 03-23-2018 12:28 PM

Driving around the block is what I call almost immediately. I'm sure a lot of tire stores will tell you they have to do some sort of initialization process so they can charge customers for that.

It's not necessary.

TEXHAWK0 03-23-2018 12:42 PM

Before I installed them I would get a TPMS tool and read the frequencies. I found on other cars, like our new Malibu, that GM used two different frequencies. The new one is 433MHz and my tool would not read them.

Foosh 03-23-2018 12:45 PM

Your "tool" doesn't need to read them. The TPMS module in the car will read them all by itself in usually less than 1 mile.

Mike Jesse 03-23-2018 02:01 PM

As Foosh has mentioned more than once, just drive the car and they will start to record.
Sometimes mine will take a mile or two, but will always pickup and record.

TEXHAWK0 03-23-2018 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Foosh (Post 1596843599)
Your "tool" doesn't need to read them. The TPMS module in the car will read them all by itself in usually less than 1 mile.

But that's after they are already installed...what I said was check the sensor frequency BEFORE you install them...:yesnod:

BYW, the sensors on my Stingray are 433 MHz. If you end up with sensors that are the wrong frequency, the car may not read them or learn them.

Foosh 03-23-2018 04:18 PM

Ah, I see. :cheers:

BEZ06 03-23-2018 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0 (Post 1596844900)
But that's after they are already installed...what I said was check the sensor frequency BEFORE you install them...:yesnod:

BYW, the sensors on my Stingray are 433 MHz. If you end up with sensors that are the wrong frequency, the car may not read them or learn them.

All you need to check before you install a new set of tire pressure sensors is to make sure they are the proper GM Part#.

For some reason the part# for the sensor was changed for 2016, but GM does that on a regular basis for lots of parts.

Either part# sensor will work perfectly in any model year C7.

Part# for the early sensor is 13581560 and it was superseded by 13598775

Either sensor will work and will auto-learn in all C7 model years - no TPMS tool is required.

You can see the part# is printed right on the sensor:

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...1042915a0a.jpg

LT1 Z51 03-23-2018 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0 (Post 1596843579)
Before I installed them I would get a TPMS tool and read the frequencies. I found on other cars, like our new Malibu, that GM used two different frequencies. The new one is 433MHz and my tool would not read them.

433 MHz is pretty standard in the US. Europe tends to use 315 Mhz.

Some systems self learn, some store multiple sensors (so you only need to learn each set of wheels once), and some need to be learned every time.

Typically, if you can see the 4 corners in a display on the cluster its the auto learning type. Why? Because every time you rotate them it has to auto learn the location, so it has to auto learn the sensors.

Care with a "dumb" light and no pressure corner displays are either of the other two types. MY Focus ST for example retains 8 sensor IDs so I can learn two sets of wheels (manually) but then switch between them with no additional learning.

owc6 03-24-2018 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim (Post 1596835350)
Thanks, and Good.
Nice that they haven't changed the specs during the generation, like on the C6.

Not all C6 TPMS are the same through the C6 gen?

Seems random question, but I need to replace all mine on my '05, and you did bring it up.

BEZ06 03-24-2018 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by owc6 (Post 1596847608)
Not all C6 TPMS are the same through the C6 gen?

Seems random question, but I need to replace all mine on my '05, and you did bring it up.

The 2005-2009 C6 used part# 25758220

The 2010-2013 they put in a slightly different TPMS module, and there were two different sensors that would work.

So...make sure you get the 25758220 sensor for an early C6.

owc6 03-24-2018 09:05 AM

Thanks, BEZ06.

Maxpowers 03-24-2018 11:27 AM

I was getting a low pressure warning for my right rear every time i left my garage. Then after 20 seconds it went away. It turns out the car was reading the pressure in my summer tires that are held on a shelf beside my car. Definatley the same frequency.

BEZ06 03-24-2018 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Maxpowers (Post 1596849317)
I was getting a low pressure warning for my right rear every time i left my garage. Then after 20 seconds it went away. It turns out the car was reading the pressure in my summer tires that are held on a shelf beside my car. Definatley the same frequency.

It won't do that!!:nonod:

The TPMS only pays attention to the transmissions received from the four tire pressure sensors that are logged into the TPMS module. Each tire pressure sensor has a unique ID# that is part of the data stream transmitted by the sensor. If the ID# in a transmission from a sensor doesn't match one of the four ID#'s logged into your TPMS module memory, your TPMS will not pay any attention to it.

You can park next to numerous other C7 Vettes, but all of the transmissions from the other cars will be not be recognized by your car - they will be completely disregarded, and your TPMS will only pay attention to transmissions from the four sensors in your wheels/tires.

Another thing to consider is that when the wheels aren't turning for about 15 minutes, the sensors will go into a sleep mode to save their internal batteries.

After the car has been sitting overnight, the TPMS "remembers" the last known pressure from the previous evening. That's so that when you begin driving you shouldn't have the problem you're having - you should have the last known pressure displayed for a couple minutes until you've driven faster than 20 mph for a minute or two in order to wake up the sensors out of the sleep mode and get them into the drive mode, at which time they will start transmitting the current pressures.

Additionally, the 433MHz frequency that our sensors transmit on really is only a very little part of why they work in our cars. There are dozens of different sensors that transmit on 433MHz, but they all transmit different bits of info in the data stream they transmit out into the air. But only a TPMS that is programmed to receive the specific data stream transmitted by a specific model of sensor will be recognized by our TPMS module.

The C6 had a TPMS change mid-stream. The 2005-2009 C6 had one model of TPMS, and for the 2010-2013 C6 they changed the TPMS so that it required a different tire pressure sensor. All the C6 sensors transmitted on 315MHZ (well, the U.S. car sensors did; there was a different TPMS in the cars built for European delivery that required 433MHz sensors), but just because they all transmitted on 315MHz didn't mean they would work in all model year C6 Vettes - you needed one part# sensor for the early C6, and a different part# for the later years.

As I mentioned in my previous post, our C7 Vettes require either part# 13581560 or 13598775

Both sensors work with our C7 TPMS. The 13598775 part# is the one you will need to give your dealership parts department - it's the current part#.

However, the earlier 13581560 part# may be found cheaper on eBay, Amazon, or elsewhere for cheaper and will work exactly the same as the other sensor.

Bottom line - our C7 Vette sensors transmit on 433MHz, but out of all the dozens of sensors that transmit on that frequency, only ones with one of the GM part#'s above will work with our C7 Vette TPMS module.

Maxpowers 03-25-2018 10:36 AM

^^^^
BEZ06 - that is interesting. Being the type of person that always wants to figure things out I did some research. It seems my second set of wheels came with aftermarket TPMS sensors and the tire shop "cloned" them to match my factory ones with a special tool.