CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   going to be interesting (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/4116553-going-to-be-interesting.html)

upnorth 03-21-2018 07:03 PM

going to be interesting

Dropped my car off to get it painted from front of doors back . Two years a go due to a deer i was able to get the front done . Looked real good to me , so this year i decided to get the rest of it done but at another place due to cost . The guy i took it to is one of my customers and giving me a pretty good deal . His paint and body guy after looking at it said I am going to want the front redone after I see how well the back is going to look . I am leaving in two weeks for two weeks vacation , so I told him to take his time he has a month .

revitup 03-21-2018 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by upnorth (Post 1596831800)
Dropped my car off to get it painted from front of doors back . Two years a go due to a deer i was able to get the front done . Looked real good to me , so this year i decided to get the rest of it done but at another place due to cost . The guy i took it to is one of my customers and giving me a pretty good deal . His paint and body guy after looking at it said I am going to want the front redone after I see how well the back is going to look . I am leaving in two weeks for two weeks vacation , so I told him to take his time he has a month .

I hope you're not going to want to get the front redone because of a resulting paint mismatch. What color will they be trying to match?

upnorth 03-22-2018 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by revitup (Post 1596831967)
I hope you're not going to want to get the front redone because of a resulting paint mismatch. What color will they be trying to match?

Black

The Punisher 03-22-2018 10:28 AM

They shouldn't have a problem matching black

Rescue Rogers 03-22-2018 01:24 PM

Well theres Midnight Black, Charcoal Black, Black Black, Dark BLack, Scuff Mark Black ( I see that all the time at my school) Old Oil Black, Bashed Fingernail Black, Black Ink Black, Bold Face Type Black ( my computer just started doing this)

So it could be mismatched but very difficult to do.

Enjoy your vacation, Post pics of the new paint job when you get back

gbvette62 03-22-2018 01:37 PM

If it was any other color except black, I would recommend having them do a color coat of the nose while they're at it.

I have seen people mismatch blacks, but if the painter's any good, he shouldn't have a problem with it.

Where people get in trouble matching blacks, is not the color, but the finish. Things like the amount of orange peal, the sheen, even subjective things like the visual "depth" of the finish, can vary greatly with blacks. I suspect this may be what the painter's talking about. He may be expecting to get a deeper shine and a smoother finish, then the previous painter did.

revitup 03-22-2018 02:01 PM

The only easier color is white. You need sunglasses just to look at it in the daylight!:cool:

upnorth 04-25-2018 09:23 AM

Well here we go again . Gave the car to this shop because they said it would be done in less then 3 weeks . Went over to check last week and they haven't touched it other then to keep it inside . I am not in a hurry due to the snow but why can't people come close to what they say they will do or at least call . Said he was real busy trying to catch up .Told him I would see him in a couple weeks .

Alan 71 04-25-2018 09:42 AM

Hi UN,
" giving me a pretty good deal".

I don't know how this works....
the materials cost what they cost and the "paint and body man" probably wants to get paid what he usually does.
Your customer may be willing to give up what he would be normally make, but there's no incentive for him to get your car in the schedule since he wants to run jobs he makes money on.
???
Regards,
Alan

69Vett 04-25-2018 05:03 PM

why would you paint half a car ?
why would you leave a known good quality paint shop,
for a deal ...with a buddy ? In paint work you get what you pay for.
good luck !

upnorth 04-26-2018 09:00 AM

hit a deer the insurance would only pay to have the front repainted . The guy took 6 months . When done I asked him what he wanted to do the back he said 6500 . I am getting older have better things to do with 6500 than to put it in a car that I won't get it back . So if he gets the cracks and its smooth and shiny like the front I am good to go . Hes a business owner and so am I in the area , its not good for business to screw over another business owner . Plus its 5000 cheaper , if its only a few extra weeks no problem . By than the snow might be melted .

Alan 71 04-26-2018 09:15 AM

Hi upn,
"Plus its 5000 cheaper"
$6500 minus $5000 equals $1500.
Now I understand why he hasn't done the work yet.
Regards,
Alan

upnorth 04-26-2018 09:26 AM

Good , I am happy for you .

upnorth 05-12-2018 09:28 AM

Cars painted hes going to buff it out Monday / Tuesday and I will pick it up Wed. night . I have to find some mirrors for it mine were getting bad . Don't know what I did with the stock ones I took off 25 years ago .

Priya 05-12-2018 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by upnorth (Post 1597184151)
Cars painted hes going to buff it out Monday / Tuesday and I will pick it up Wed. night.

Congratulations, I'm glad it worked out for you.

Wee 05-12-2018 09:34 PM

Lets see back half $1500 I figure same for the front...$3000 total. I wish I could get my whole car painted for that.

Post some pics when you get it back....I think this is record time even if it was only half the car.

Brian

doorgunner 05-13-2018 12:31 AM

"going to be interesting"

Well.....you got that right. This thread is interesting already.

upnorth 05-16-2018 06:22 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Happy

upnorth 05-16-2018 06:25 PM

Just gave it a quick wash . Its like a mirror now I might have to get the front that was done under insurance redone to match the back . I asked him if he was interested in doing other cars . Said no problem but would be minimum 9500.00 .

upnorth 05-18-2018 09:18 AM

What no comments ? Not bad for a total out of pocket 2100.00 . 1500 back and 500 front for insurance deductible . The people that painted it said the problem with the last paint job ( 20 years ago ) was that the guy only sanded down the old paint and left the cracks in it causing the paint to lift and bubble . These last two jobs guys took it all the way down and built it back up . Now I figure the money I saved on the paint i can put toward seats, door panels and weather stripping . Then mainly only have to worry about fixing things as I break them .