CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Where is your key fob? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4119987-where-is-your-key-fob.html)

Jerrymannal 03-30-2018 10:32 AM

Where is your key fob?

So far I have been keeping my C7 key fob in my pocket when I drive my Z51. There is a slot in the steering column for the fob and plenty of room in the console or behind the nav screen etc. My question is ‘is there a best place to keep the fob’ and why?

Krenath 03-30-2018 10:37 AM

Mine just stays in my pocket. I don't see any good reason to pull it out of my pocket in order to drive, so I don't use the slot for anything on a daily basis, and doing so seems like it would increase the odds that I'd forget that it's not in my pocket and walk away with the fob still in the car.

Patman 03-30-2018 10:37 AM

Always in my pocket, then there is no chance of leaving it inside the car by accident and I don't even have to think about where the fob is, I just get in and out of my car without any worries.

fugly1 03-30-2018 10:40 AM

Pocket, except on long trips, in which case it (and my wallet) go into the Hidden Compartment.

Now everyone knows my secrets. :shrug:

nytrorcr 03-30-2018 11:10 AM

I carry mine to the car then drop it in the side pocket of the door, same with the house keys. If key is forgotten mine sounds the horn 3X's but it's just routine for me now.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...eec78b7743.jpg

joemessman 03-30-2018 11:19 AM

In my pants pocket. I have an alligator clip that attaches to the inside of my pants pocket that hangs from the key fob so it accidentally doesn't fall out of my pocket.

defaria 03-30-2018 11:52 AM

The slot is for when the FOB is not opening the door or the battery is drained. You seem to have some sort of psychological need to "stick your key into the car in order to operate it". That's so last century!

Leaving the keys in the car like the secret compartment or door pocket should sound the horn 3 times if you forget it. That's what that 3 horn toots are for.

I just leave it in my pocket. Why take it out?

JerryU 03-30-2018 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jerrymannal (Post 1596890106)
There is a slot in the steering column for the fob and plenty of room in the console or behind the nav screen etc. My question is ‘is there a best place to keep the fob’ and why?

FOB never leaves my pocket. The only time it does is when I go back into the house and it and my wallet go into a draw. When I walk away to go into a store it locks the doors, don't have to think about it!

That slot is IF the FOB battery goes dead. No need to every use it if you replace the FOB battery every ~2 years.

Borntorun04/17 03-30-2018 12:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I keep fob in pocket. I did buy silicone case for fob which makes it less slippery in pocket. A few times fob fell on to seat when getting out of car. No more of that problem with case. Case was cheap around $ 4.00 on Ebay.

Sorry about sideways picture.

iclick 03-30-2018 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jerrymannal (Post 1596890106)
So far I have been keeping my C7 key fob in my pocket when I drive my Z51.

I have strict rules for where the fob and other important objects (wallet, cell phone, etc.) are stored. The fob is either on my key holder behind the kitchen door, right front pocket of the pants I'm wearing, or the workout bag. No exceptions, which is why these things are never misplaced--except when I break the "no exceptions" rule. I rarely interact with it, and like Jerry U I have it set to automatically lock/unlock the doors when I approach.

sTz 03-30-2018 12:56 PM

I treat it in the same manner as the old fashion keys... in my pocket.

Pretty soon the FOB will be antiquated as well with fingerprint/biometric technology, which has been around for a while...

Rebel Yell 03-30-2018 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by JerryU (Post 1596890791)
FOB never leaves my pocket. The only time it does is when I go back into the house and it and my wallet go into a draw. When I walk away to go into a store it locks the doors, don't have to think about it!

That slot is IF the FOB battery goes dead. No need to every use it if you replace the FOB battery every ~2 years.

:iagree: Well Jerry, you beat me to my answer bud. :D

Grand Slam 03-30-2018 01:08 PM

The watch pocket (little pocket in right front pocket) in jeans works great because the fob doesn't scratch other things or vice versa. It's also a tight enough fit that the fob never slips out.

4thC4at60 03-30-2018 01:23 PM

Right this minute? Where is my fob?

It's on a shelf three feet behind me talking with the Ferrari key.

When the fob and I leave the house it's in my pocket where, for me, it should be.

Sometimes, when I forget, the fob and the Ferrari key are in left front pocket together. I have no idea what they do in the dark.

mschuyler 03-30-2018 01:24 PM

In my pocket so I don't forget it. Only problem is when my wife is in the car with her fob in her purse, the system usually picks up her fob rather than mine. Then the seat goes forward enough to break my legs if I don't hit the button on the door asap. I tried an aluminum foil cover, but that was insufficient so I bought one of those Faraday bags from Amazon that stops the emissions. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Seems to work fine.

BlueFinn 03-30-2018 01:31 PM

I keep mine on a chain around my neck. I find it a pain in the azz in my pocket. Otherwise it is on a key-hook in the hall closet.

Sure wish I could get something smaller to wear on my wrist or be able to transfer the electronic signal to open the door to my cellphone. Then I could wear the key on a chain rather than the entire fob.
John

SoCalFinest 03-30-2018 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by iclick (Post 1596890927)
I have strict rules for where the fob and other important objects (wallet, cell phone, etc.) are stored. The fob is either on my key holder behind the kitchen door, right front pocket of the pants I'm wearing, or the workout bag. No exceptions, which is why these things are never misplaced--except when I break the "no exceptions" rule. I rarely interact with it, and like Jerry U I have it set to automatically lock/unlock the doors when I approach.

Haha me too. Key will be in front right pocket, if not the cup holder and in gym bag or golf bag.

If I'm at home, on top of the dresser near the door.

lavett 03-30-2018 01:53 PM

Pinned to my bra strap.

Jerrymannal 03-30-2018 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Grand Slam (Post 1596891103)
The watch pocket (little pocket in right front pocket) in jeans works great because the fob doesn't scratch other things or vice versa. It's also a tight enough fit that the fob never slips out.

I wear jeans all the time and never thought of that little pocket. That’s a great idea and I’m in!!! THANKS

jimmbbo 03-30-2018 02:18 PM

When in use, in my left pocket, iPhone in the right, wallet in hip pocket...made it a habit to do a "3 check" before leaving the house.
When not in use, hanging on one of the hooks I hang other keys on...
Have used the steering column receptacle only to check how it worked.