CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Did you consider a Porsche? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4120479-did-you-consider-a-porsche.html)

Beny 03-31-2018 01:04 PM

Did you consider a Porsche?

A serious question. Did you even consider buying a Porsche?

I asked the same on the Porsche forum. (Did they consider a vette).

Billy346 03-31-2018 01:09 PM

Long answer-No.

I could go for a BMW if I ever get bored with my Corvette.

RyanC7 03-31-2018 01:10 PM

I have never driven one, they just seem very small to me.

Jax21 03-31-2018 01:10 PM

Considered a Carrera for a bit but decided to stay American. Plus Corvettes are cheaper to run.

Glennm27 03-31-2018 01:11 PM

I have and still am. Someday, maybe.
Nothing short of a 911 Turbo S

Thunder22 03-31-2018 01:14 PM

I did, and a couple of things turned me off (and I"m not a Porsche hater, I like them)

1) They're too complicated to configure
2) too expensive for what you get compared to the Corvette
3) Maintenance costs are VERY high
4) Long lead times if you factory order
5) Dealers stick very close to MSRP if you buy new and absolute MSRP if you factory order.

This was all a few years ago, I haven't looked into buying one in awhile, so if things have changed, so be it.

Woodson 03-31-2018 01:14 PM

Yes.

Woodson 03-31-2018 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Thunder22 (Post 1596897626)
I did, and a couple of things turned me off (and I"m not a Porsche hater, I like them)

1) They're too complicated to configure
2) too expensive for what you get compared to the Corvette
3) Maintenance costs are VERY high
4) Long lead times if you factory order
5) Dealers stick very close to MSRP if you buy new and absolute MSRP if you factory order.

This was all a few years ago, I haven't looked into buying one in awhile, so if things have changed, so be it.

:iagree: still the same

Thunder22 03-31-2018 01:24 PM

flame suit on:

1 additional thing that I know is controversial:

My friends that own Porsches aren't "car guys", they're "Porsche Guys", myopic to the brand, defensive, don't know much about other brands and cars (or their own for that matter), and will never accept that other cars can be superior to theirs. And yes, I know that this can be said about a lot of fanbois of any manufacturer, but personally, I find it strongest with Porsche owners that I know.

Now, i could just have a bunch of dbag friends who fit the mold too, who knows.

Steve Garrett 03-31-2018 01:25 PM

As a matter of fact, I did consider a Cayman S before deciding on the C7. I agree with Thunder on points #2-5 he made.

Plus, the style and shape of Porsche is virtually unchanged for most of 50 years. I've always thought they were a "cute, little car". But that's not what I wanted out of my sports car....Stingray more fulfilled my needs.

fsvoboda 03-31-2018 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Billy346 (Post 1596897583)
Long answer-No.

I could go for a BMW if I ever get bored with my Corvette.

Yep. 2-series BMW would be my second choice--even available with AWD for winter driving in some variations, I believe.

Porsche prices have gone into the stratosphere as Porsche owners aged and became successful. However nice they are, I'm not tying up new Porsche money in any vehicle, and I am wary of used Porsches.

:cheers:

Mcrider 03-31-2018 01:25 PM

I looked very hard at the Cayman's and 911's as well as some of the AMG Mercedes. The Cayman has gotten spectacular reviews, maybe too good because I was immensely disappointed after driving a couple of them. Everything I read and watched indicated they are the future with it's mid engine design. Porsche is very much in the same place as the Vette is, both are being forced to move to mid engine for racing and they have a huge issue doing this since the core of Porsche cultists are 9/11 fanatics. I felt the 9/11 was a very nice car, but both paled in comparison to the Mercedes AMG's. It took german engineering and luxury to an entirely new level. I especially liked the supercharged SL55's. Absolutely amazing cars, How they can make a 4 thousand pound plus car run as fast and corner as well as they do is incredible. The interiors are top of the line in every way. Porsche's couldn't even begin to match their interiors.

The Porsche's excelled at handling, the car went exactly where it was pointed and did so effortlessly. It lacked what the vette does best, slam you back in the seat acceleration and that "look" you get when you drive by in a vette.

Foosh 03-31-2018 01:26 PM

I also was leaning toward a 911 Carrera S convertible, and C7 Z51 M7 was my 2nd choice. It eventually moved to the top of the list.

The big cost difference wasn't the major deciding factor, I found the P-car too "clinical." The C7 was just more fun and had more "soul" w/ comparable performance. Better looks was a factor too.

Woodson 03-31-2018 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Thunder22 (Post 1596897676)
flame suit on:

1 additional thing that I know is controversial:

My friends that own Porsches aren't "car guys", they're "Porsche Guys", myopic to the brand, defensive, don't know much about other brands and cars (or their own for that matter), and will never accept that other cars can be superior to theirs. And yes, I know that this can be said about a lot of fanbois of any manufacturer, but personally, I find it strongest with Porsche owners that I know.

Now, i could just have a bunch of dbag friends who fit the mold too, who knows.

:rofl: Corvette owners.

rcooper 03-31-2018 01:29 PM

Yep, I did...a Caymen "S". Know the owner of the Porsche dealership so they price was right but the upkeep was stupid.
C7 quicker and better looking, way less expensive to own and it is made in the USA ( mostly ). Insurance was considerably less also.

Thunder22 03-31-2018 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Woodson (Post 1596897695)
:rofl: Corvette owners.

:rofl::rofl: I did say that it can be applied to others :rofl::rofl:

SilverGhost 03-31-2018 01:33 PM

two purchased, a 1996 993 vert, and a 2007 997 coupe. both manual, both kept me singing row, row, row your boat to get anywhere. Compared to a 2005 C6 base vert, owned at the same time, where I pushed one pedal and Thuwaaaam! I am in the next time zone; the thrill was definitely in the vettes favor.

Pushrod V8's don't seem to be long for this world, and I cherish their power, and their sound of power. An aircooled porsches exhaust at full song just hurts my ears. A Ferrari V12 in full song makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Maybe one day...but a Corvette is a suweet second to the 550 Barchetta, at less than 1/5 the price.

MrGary2011 03-31-2018 01:40 PM

Now that is a funny question!These colors run red white and blue!

TSLAVette 03-31-2018 01:47 PM

I did - they are all turbos now. I liked the Carrera S & 4S. Less dramatic than Corvette yet built like a brick chithouse. There's a reason the design is 50 yrs old - it works.

Also, comparing depreciation %'s vs. the bowtie ... P-car smokes us. Why did I choose the Vette? Paid cash and kept the $35k. Next up - most likely a lease on a P-car; out before the warranty expires. Same tactic as with Corvettes.

Still love my Heritage edition GS - gets way more looks than a 911 and is a 'hoot' to drive!

thocar 03-31-2018 01:50 PM

I changed 4 years ago after 1 x C5 and 4 x C6 to Jaguar XKR, one of the last build.

But never to Porsche. I test drove many, but this is not the way I like to drive.

Now I´m back - new C7 since two weeks and I´m happy.

Thomas