CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Z06 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion-170/)
-   -   Lowering a Z07 on Stock Bolts/Cut Bushings/Aftermarket Bolts etc. (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/4122785-lowering-a-z07-on-stock-bolts-cut-bushings-aftermarket-bolts-etc.html)

Can'tHave2MuchHP 04-05-2018 09:27 PM

Lowering a Z07 on Stock Bolts/Cut Bushings/Aftermarket Bolts etc.

1 Attachment(s)
What's a good way to go at lowering a Z07? I don't want it slammed and I don't want it dangerously low but my god does this thing sit like a monster truck from the factory. I know that LG Drop Spindles seem to be the (expensive) ticket but besides that...What can I expect lowering on stock bolts? How much more can cutting the bushings/bolts add? What about an aftermarket bolt entirely? I do not want to compromise too much on ride but I'm ok with some change. Bottoming it out or going with an aftermarket bolt that causes that is not something I'm after either. I'd probably be happy with a .75"-1" drop in the front end especially, can I get that on stock bolts/cut bushings or aftermarket bolts?

Two things I really don't want to do:
1) Spend $3000 on LG drop spindles
2) Compromise ride TOO much, again, I don't mind some change

Case and point on how high it sits....:willy:

Blurspeed 04-05-2018 09:41 PM

Just lower on stock bolts. Makes a huge difference. Lower it all the way down and it won’t look bad at all. Still a small gap but not monster truck anymore. Plenty of threads on it with pictures.

fasthwks 04-05-2018 09:46 PM

You can cut the bushings and it does not affect the ride too much. If you are going to track the car then I would spend the money on the control arms. I know there are plenty of people will tell you not to cut them etc but I have never had any issues on my last 4 c7's.

Can'tHave2MuchHP 04-05-2018 10:36 PM

Probably don't plan on ever tracking the car. So just try lowering it all the way on stock bolts and get it aligned then is the plan.

If lowering all the way on stock bolts isn't enough for me, how much more will I get by cutting the stock bolts/bushings?

Chi_weezy 04-05-2018 11:01 PM

Plenty of threads on this. I’d lower it all the way on stock bolts. Then if that isn’t enough, cut them. Best option is to get the LG’s but not many want to spend the coin on those

hebegb 04-06-2018 09:26 AM

I got a little over 1 inch drop for the front and a little less than 1 inch drop for the rear by lowering the stock bolts without cutting the bushings. Looks great and no compromise with ride. You do have to be extra careful with your approach angle to steeper driveways with the stage 2/3 splitter.

Can'tHave2MuchHP 04-06-2018 11:02 AM

After speaking with several people with experience and gathering the info, I'm going to try lowering all the way on stock bolts for now. If that's not enough I'll use the PVC cutter and cut the rear bushings in half, probably will leave the front. Thanks everybody.

DavidC83 04-06-2018 11:27 AM

I dropped mine all the way down on the stock bolts and it looked 10x better but it was still too high for my liking. I rode that way for about a month then jacked her back up and cut the bushings off. I can tell no difference in ride to be honest and Im in sport mode 90% of the time. I just had it aligned at a buddy's shop yesterday, and the 30 mile highway drive back home was just splendid!

Here's a before and after of it lowered all the way down vs the same with cut bushings. It still has gap but not as bad and cutting the bushings got me an additional 5/8" rear, and 3/4" front. The top pic is cut bushings / bottom is lowered but not cut

It sits at exactly 28" rear and 26.5" up front and both sides are the same ride heights measured on a level concrete floor.

I did raise the front up 1-1/4 turn of the bolt to keep the control arm from rubbing the leaf spring. It's super close there, but does not hit, and she sits F-ing perfect now. I'm not a fan of the "riding on the tire" look

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...801edcb8f.jpeg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...9a6ad2928.jpeg

GeorgeR_Zed06 04-10-2018 10:35 PM

That's a clean looking car man!!!

Jsilvester81 04-11-2018 12:22 PM

I went with the LG drop spindles. Yes it’s expensive parts plus labor plus alignment is about $4K.
I went to Anna TX to the LG Motorsports shop.

Very happy with the execution of my car.

I got the updated mag ride calibration and wanted little wheel gap keeping the corner carving abilities/traction/ etc from the GM engineering. Car is magic in the handling department. I can notice a big difference at speed with LG drop spindles and GM recalibration of the z07 suspension.

BTW wheel gap is almost as bad as CAnkles

you don’t notice it immediately but once called out it is all you can see.

Jsilvester81 04-11-2018 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jsilvester81 (Post 1596975210)
I went with the LG drop spindles. Yes it’s expensive parts plus labor plus alignment is about $4K.
I went to Anna TX to the LG Motorsports shop.

Very happy with the execution of my car.

I got the updated mag ride calibration and wanted little wheel gap keeping the corner carving abilities/traction/ etc from the GM engineering. Car is magic in the handling department. I can notice a big difference at speed with LG drop spindles and GM recalibration of the z07 suspension.

BTW wheel gap is almost as bad as CAnkles

you don’t notice it immediately but once called out it is all you can see.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...491cc7a47.jpegNot flashy just a bit subtle

Chevy!!!

Puttnutt24 04-11-2018 12:30 PM

I went the LG Spindles rout and couldn't be happier..

Jsilvester81 04-11-2018 12:35 PM

if looking good and slightly decreasing ride handling is OK

by all means put the $4K in extra HP or a mutual fund
In 30 years the 4K mutual fund may be worth more than our cars lol.

Can'tHave2MuchHP 04-11-2018 12:42 PM

Thanks guys. That black Z07 looks great David. I'm going to turn down the stock bolts all the way, drive it for a bit, get it aligned and see how I like it. If it's not enough I'll take half the bushings off either in just the rear or front and rear. If I ever want to reset it to stock, anybody know the cost or part numbers for a set of 4 stock bolts?

Jsilvester81 04-11-2018 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Puttnutt24 (Post 1596975269)
I went the LG Spindles rout and couldn't be happier..

I agree https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...6afe64f4f.jpeg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...fdb5e3c9e.jpeg

GeorgeR_Zed06 04-12-2018 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP (Post 1596975366)
Thanks guys. That black Z07 looks great David. I'm going to turn down the stock bolts all the way, drive it for a bit, get it aligned and see how I like it. If it's not enough I'll take half the bushings off either in just the rear or front and rear. If I ever want to reset it to stock, anybody know the cost or part numbers for a set of 4 stock bolts?

If yours is a Z07, don't waste your time turning them, it won't hardly make any diff. If you do decide to turn them first, don't waste your money on an alignment, there is not enough change their to constitute one, imo.

Just cut one bushing for the front and both for the rear. The factory bolt is long enough, if you don't like it, just turn them and your car will raise back. Don't forget to put a lil grease on the bushings when you install them. Good luck...

HorsePowerObsessed 04-12-2018 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by GeorgeR_Zed06 (Post 1596982700)
If yours is a Z07, don't waste your time turning them, it won't hardly make any diff. If you do decide to turn them first, don't waste your money on an alignment, there is not enough change their to constitute one, imo.

Just cut one bushing for the front and both for the rear. The factory bolt is long enough, if you don't like it, just turn them and your car will raise back. Don't forget to put a lil grease on the bushings when you install them. Good luck...

I wouldn't do any of what you just mentioned. My Z07 lowered about an inch in the front just by turning the bolts, the rear I agree, you need to cut at least one rib off the pad to get a decent look, but DEFINITELY no grease. All that does is attract and hold in rocks/debris that will make noise for sure. Just make sure when you cut one rib off the rear pad to leave rubber on it so it isn't metal on metal. That's all you have to do. Unless you want a slammed look then you may have to cut the front pads, too.

GeorgeR_Zed06 04-12-2018 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by JAYNO20 (Post 1596983155)
I wouldn't do any of what you just mentioned. My Z07 lowered about an inch in the front just by turning the bolts, the rear I agree, you need to cut at least one rib off the pad to get a decent look, but DEFINITELY no grease. All that does is attract and hold in rocks/debris that will make noise for sure. Just make sure when you cut one rib off the rear pad to leave rubber on it so it isn't metal on metal. That's all you have to do. Unless you want a slammed look then you may have to cut the front pads, too.

Yes, the Z07 lowers 1" but is still not enough is the reason he's asking and by reading his comments on other threads about this. Grease is recommended by Hardbar and many other component companies when installing lowering bolts. If not, it will squeak after a while, especially if driven through rain. You want a dab, not enough to make a mess. I've had 5 Vettes, all lowered with a dab of grease. No issues yet...

hazer396 05-23-2019 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by DavidC83 (Post 1596940002)
I dropped mine all the way down on the stock bolts and it looked 10x better but it was still too high for my liking. I rode that way for about a month then jacked her back up and cut the bushings off. I can tell no difference in ride to be honest and Im in sport mode 90% of the time. I just had it aligned at a buddy's shop yesterday, and the 30 mile highway drive back home was just splendid!

Here's a before and after of it lowered all the way down vs the same with cut bushings. It still has gap but not as bad and cutting the bushings got me an additional 5/8" rear, and 3/4" front. The top pic is cut bushings / bottom is lowered but not cut

It sits at exactly 28" rear and 26.5" up front and both sides are the same ride heights measured on a level concrete floor.

I did raise the front up 1-1/4 turn of the bolt to keep the control arm from rubbing the leaf spring. It's super close there, but does not hit, and she sits F-ing perfect now. I'm not a fan of the "riding on the tire" look

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...801edcb8f.jpeg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...9a6ad2928.jpeg

reviving and old thread;

Is that really the lowest you can go with cutting bushings?!?!
I am on the same boat with not spending $3000 on drop spindles.

Not a track car, just a highway car/commuter

S.FLA..Z06 05-23-2019 11:33 AM

Yea jus about , i have a 16 w Z07 pkg and i like in S Fla where the streets are like butteer , track mode on streets like 87.5% of the time is pretty much how i roll !

I dropped all way on stock bolts and cut the rear bushings , car drives and handles perfect not one single issue but i will mention if i take a Speed Bump in my community fasst then i will feel a slight bottom out
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...eba5c5c130.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...16baf737fa.jpg
unless im in track (obv susp is way tighter less travel) its not even an issue casue if you have any care for your car you taking speed bumps extremely carefully anyway ! w the rear bump stops cut the cars sits level as opposed to have a slight rake which i def din't want !

Yes i would want it a C**unt hair or two lower but she looks Sexxxxy Af now as is and the ins/out of gas stations drive ways etc is already a real struggle ya knaw!

Save the $$ and just drop on stock bolts and cut bump joints ! i think you'll be very happy w it imho!