CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   Exhaust/Muffler Help (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/4123000-exhaust-muffler-help.html)

twinpack 04-06-2018 01:13 PM

Exhaust/Muffler Help

So I've been researching exhaust for my 1968, 327/350. Looking for advice on the mount for the mufflers. I want to use Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers but they and others usual suspects don't have the provision to connect to the factory muffler hanger at the exit point. What have others done to solve this? Or does anyone know if a company can provide a muffler with the welded attachment point? I see Corvette suppliers sell complete exhaust and I could buy just the mufflers. This would solve the hanger issue, but are these mufflers the same quality and how about the sound. I am trying to get a quitter, muscle car sound and no drone if possible. The car is for me and my wife to enjoy and not a racecar. don't want loud and raspy, just mellow throatiness. Please help.
Thanks

7T1vette 04-06-2018 01:17 PM

Try Magnaflow mufflers. I think they make direct-fit replacements for the C3 cars. Nice mufflers and you can make them as 'mellow' or as 'raunchy' as you choose.

general ike 04-06-2018 01:30 PM

If you really wanted to use those mufflers, you could use the setup the previous Owner setup on mine. Simple bracket mounted to the original mounting holes that come down in the form of a hook that engages a c clamp around the tail pipe of the muffler. Set up works fine. But not original. Let me know if you need a pic of it. Ike.

twinpack 04-06-2018 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by general ike (Post 1596940888)
If you really wanted to use those mufflers, you could use the setup the previous Owner setup on mine. Simple bracket mounted to the original mounting holes that come down in the form of a hook that engages a c clamp around the tail pipe of the muffler. Set up works fine. But not original. Let me know if you need a pic of it. Ike.

Please show pictures when you get a chance.
Thank you

Jonz79 04-06-2018 01:38 PM

I'm with 7T1 on this. I looked at a ton of mufflers, even tried chambered pipes, and landed on Magnaflow Turbos for my 79. They bolted right up, absolutely perfect. No tweaking, bending, adjusting, nada. Sound is very deep, reminds me of a 50 series FM, and nice at full throttle. Deep and tough enough to not be whimpy at all around town (engine is stock, no smog stuff, no cat - off road pipe), and they roar at full-throttle. Very happy with them, and a very good price point as well. I have gotten numerous compliments on the tone at shows/cruises, and I am sure your 68 mill will sound even better! I love that engine, had a 327 in a 68 Camaro.

twinpack 04-06-2018 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jonz79 (Post 1596940932)
I'm with 7T1 on this. I looked at a ton of mufflers, even tried chambered pipes, and landed on Magnaflow Turbos for my 79. They bolted right up, absolutely perfect. No tweaking, bending, adjusting, nada. Sound is very deep, reminds me of a 50 series FM, and nice at full throttle. Deep and tough enough to not be whimpy at all around town (engine is stock, no smog stuff, no cat - off road pipe), and they roar at full-throttle. Very happy with them, and a very good price point as well. I have gotten numerous compliments on the tone at shows/cruises, and I am sure your 68 mill will sound even better! I love that engine, had a 327 in a 68 Camaro.

Just received a call from the machine shop (RAD his shop is in Ludlow, MA) where I had the machine work done. I dropped the motor off yesterday after completing the rebuild, he just finished the dyno test and reported the little 327 had no leaks, 432 ft. lbs. torque and 383 HP. I will pick it up next week along with the dyno printout. I can give more detail information after that. But I am very happy my first engine build went so routine. I did convert to a full roller comp cam, pocket ported the heads and used roller rockers. Stay tuned.

general ike 04-06-2018 03:42 PM

Here you go, sorry not at the Vette right now so I had to go with what I had pic wise.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...447a78dc9b.jpg

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...4d6fae34a7.jpg

So the hanger has a bracket that screws into the frame, the original hanger position, that supports a rubber mount and then come down to a "hook", blocked by the tail pipe int the pic. That "hook" engages the c clamp that is bolted to the tail pipe.

All very neat and well supported. Not the original setup but very difficult to tell unless you really know what to look for and get down onto the ground to see. I think it works fine. Ike

ajrothm 04-06-2018 04:24 PM

You can just weld the mount/hangar straight to the muffler or the pipe.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...psteym0csw.jpg

It ain't the prettiest way to do it but, it works.

twinpack 04-06-2018 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by ajrothm (Post 1596942059)
You can just weld the mount/hangar straight to the muffler or the pipe.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...psteym0csw.jpg

It ain't the prettiest way to do it but, it works.

Actually it's not too bad. Thank you for the picture.

ajrothm 04-06-2018 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by twinpack (Post 1596942068)
Actually it's not too bad. Thank you for the picture.

It looked a lot better when the mufflers were new and the paint was fresh on them. You barely noticed the rods welded on them. This pic above is like 9 years later....muffers need a touch up paint job.

ajrothm 04-06-2018 04:36 PM

If I was to do it again, I'd route the rod along the top of the pipe/muffler so you wouldn't see it from the back... Basically make an L out of the hanger and weld the lower part of the L to the top of the muffler.

7T1vette 04-06-2018 09:20 PM

Even though your mufflers (and pipes) may be "new", I'd suggest that you wipe all outer surfaces down with lacquer thinner (or other solvent that leaves no residue), then shoot a couple of coats of VHT "Flat Aluminum" paint. With heat, the paint will cure even harder and keep those pipes & muffler looking great for many years. If you are going to weld stuff together, leave paint off of those areas and paint over them after assembly.

Priya 04-07-2018 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by 7T1vette (Post 1596943899)
Even though your mufflers (and pipes) may be "new", I'd suggest that you wipe all outer surfaces down with lacquer thinner (or other solvent that leaves no residue), then shoot a couple of coats of VHT "Flat Aluminum" paint. With heat, the paint will cure even harder and keep those pipes & muffler looking great for many years. If you are going to weld stuff together, leave paint off of those areas and paint over them after assembly.

Just the flat aluminum paint directly on the mufflers, no primer?

twinpack 04-07-2018 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by 7T1vette (Post 1596943899)

Good advice. My plan is to use Hooker Compition Headers with the matching exhaust pipe setup. I will mock everything up and take apart than have headers and pipes ceramic coated inside and out. The mufflers and clamps wil also be coated for a uniformed appearance. I am doing it this way in a effort to lower engine bay temps as well as under car heat from radiating into the cabin. I will also take measures when I am at the body reassembly stage.

hotrodnick 04-13-2018 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jonz79 (Post 1596940932)

Did you put true duals on or just replace the mufflers.

Duke94 04-14-2018 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by 7T1vette (Post 1596940784)
Try Magnaflow mufflers. I think they make direct-fit replacements for the C3 cars. Nice mufflers and you can make them as 'mellow' or as 'raunchy' as you choose.

Did you buy these Magnaflow mufflers?

https://www.zip-corvette.com/78-82-2...-mufflers.html

twinpack 04-14-2018 09:44 AM

Muffler choice

I settled on CC N-11 mufflers. It always a gamble because everyone has their own experience and opinion. I was looking for a not loud but rumble sound. After reviewing sevseveral comments I thought the N-11's fit my requirements best. All I can do now it wait and see if I made the right choice. I will report my experience.

twinpack 04-14-2018 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by hotrodnick (Post 1596992624)
Did you put true duals on or just replace the mufflers.

True dual. I am hoping to have a drone issue. I am using CC N-111 mufflers.

Priya 04-14-2018 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by twinpack (Post 1596995822)
I am hoping to have a drone issue..

Really?

scura283 04-14-2018 04:44 PM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...917ecfe4f6.jpg

This is how I mounted my Dynomax Super Turbos.