CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   [C2] 1964 Convertible - Plain Jane - The Journey Begins. (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/4124182-1964-convertible-plain-jane-the-journey-begins.html)

hcallaway 04-09-2018 03:23 PM

1964 Convertible - Plain Jane - The Journey Begins.

This is a joint project between my brother (Raleigh NC) and myself (Richmond VA). We have both been Corvette Owners in the past. He totaled a 1971 Convertible that hydroplaned after a beautiful afternoon shower going home from UNC back in his college days. It was a base 350/270? Automatic with 2 tops in Sunflower Yellow/Black Top and a great set of American Racing Torq Thrust's. I had a 1972 Coupe with a 454 365 M22 Warbonnet Yellow (Gold). I just flipped a 1994 that was almost perfect to help fund my part of the purchase. You would be hard to find as strange an assortment of car interests as we have developed. For background our Dad was and is still a car nut at 85. He had a passion for commercial type of cars. Ex-police cars with 351, 352, 390, 428 and even a 460. We could never understand the 4 door, rubber floor, vinyl seat selections he would pick. In the end we began to appreciate why he like what he liked. As we have aged, I think we have moved towards the plain Jane version of most old cars. This is bringing me to the 64.

hcallaway 04-10-2018 10:47 AM

4 Attachment(s)
The Vette was purchased in Webster NY from Elmer's Auto Parts Inc. they Specialize in Providing NOS & Original Parts on eBay. Jim Guck Sr., Jim Guck Jr. & Paul Guck could not have been nicer to deal with. Their descriptions and pictures were detailed and upon inspection of the car we felt like it was at least as good as what we thought we were buying if not better. To get it we had to go 8-10 hours each way depending on the weather and traffic from Virginia to near Rochester NY.
Attachment 48353357
We hit a major snow storm that divided the middle of the trip in Pennsylvania. Overnight was spent at the Red Carpet Inn with out dinner and then back on the road.
Attachment 48353358
Attachment 48353359
A little history on the car. 2 owners. The first owner out of PA had it for 10 years. The second Owner purchased the car after it was traded in at Bill Cram in Seneca Falls NY on 4-8-74. Purchase price was $3204.65. Mileage was reported at 10,795.
There is also a separate Odometer Mileage Statement attesting to the correct mileage. The last registration for the car was in 1975 and the mileage was 21748. Then for some unknown reason it was put into storage for the next 43 Years. We also had the last insurance cards and the car has the state inspection stickers for 74 and 75.
We bought the car feeling that the mileage should have been 100K if not 200K with the condition of the car; however, it was very doubtful that the Chevrolet Dealer at the time would sign anything that could be called into question by the buyer or the State of NY.
Attachment 48353360

Patrick03 04-10-2018 11:01 AM

Welcome to the mid-years! What are your plans with the car? '64's are of course the best year!

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...cf2e49a259.jpgMy son and I on the first drive of this year.

hcallaway 04-10-2018 11:09 AM

What we have is a car that runs, stops and shifts. It seems to never had any major body damage as all the bonding strips are visable. We were surprised that it does not smoke. The engine is quiet with no known mechanical issues. All the gauges function and the radio does light up. It looks like the car has never been apart. Dash and steering wheel are not cracked. All numbers matching. These are the good points.
These are the less desirable points we have discovered.
It is crusty. Every bolt is a fight. Some minor frame rust. Everything so far is accessible for repair. Rear lights semi-function. Front lights and motors are non responsive. Rear valance was damaged when it was pulled out of the garage. Bumpers are shot. Interior is filthy. Carpet was shag. It is missing the correct carb, air cleaner and ignition shielding. Radiator is not original. Fiberglass cracks, driver door fiberglass issues on the door handle etc. Poor respray.

hcallaway 04-10-2018 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Patrick03 (Post 1596966992)
Welcome to the mid-years! What are your plans with the car? '64's are of course the best year!

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...cf2e49a259.jpgMy son and I on the first drive of this year.

We are still figuring a path. We have in mind using it as is for the time being and get it mechanically sound. Body bushing replacement. Fiberglass repair. The car has a fun patina and the white vinyl top is unusual. Not many unrestored rat rod looking Vettes out there.

hcallaway 04-10-2018 11:43 AM

The 64 is a base model 350/250hp car. Optional 4 Speed. Positraction. Hard and soft tops. AM/FM radio. Tinted windshield. Backup Lights. Daytona Blue with Dark Blue Interior.
Plane Jane no power brakes and no power steering.

ToySnakePMC 04-10-2018 11:54 AM

Hello! I’m looking forward to getting reacquainted with Corvettes in general and these pre-loved early examples specifically. What can be more fun than working with your brother (and best friend) on developing, and hopefully, executing an overall mutual plan to revive this old lady and eventually make a few C&C events and some scenic drives to Starbucks for my own personal high-octane needs. I think it will be a fun journey and a great “vehicle” for meeting new, far-more knowledge Corvette people here and in the local communities as we attempt to do this correctly. (I must admit the temptation for LSx motivation and EFI simplicity is strong - as that is what powers my NA Miata project car with the finest that V8Roadsters.com has to offer...!). Glad to be here.

Bluestripe67 04-10-2018 11:58 AM

Congratulations on the purchase. You and elwood13 really have the attention of the CF. Each of you are doing similar work on midyear Vettes. Take a lot of pics as you start things, post them, ask questions etc, etc. :cheers: Dennis

emccomas 04-10-2018 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by hcallaway (Post 1596967309)
The 64 is a base model 350/250hp car. Optional 4 Speed. Positraction. Hard and soft tops. AM/FM radio. Tinted windshield. Backup Lights. Daytona Blue with Dark Blue Interior.
Plane Jane no power brakes and no power steering.

Not as Plain Jane as it could be.

I recall looking at a 64 convertible with a 250hp, 3 speed manual, no posi, no radio, soft top only, red with a black interior.

Whoever ordered this car new did not check a single option box on the order form.

I have never seen another Corvette that Plain Jane, but it was original motor (and I assume original trans).

Congrats on your new toy. Enjoy, and keep us posted.

65hihp 04-10-2018 03:09 PM

Hello and great to see a new owner of a 64 in old unrestored condition in the Richmond area. I am in Charlottesville now, but will be in Mechanicsville as of May 1. There are a few of us 64 owners down that way and would love to make your acquaintance. Mine is also old and original (in most ways). Please drop a pm or an email if you would like to compare notes on getting yours sorted out. Good work pulling this jewel down from NY safely in this last snow storm. Don

hcallaway 04-10-2018 03:17 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Post from my brother:
(I must admit the temptation for LSx motivation and EFI simplicity is strong - as that is what powers my NA Miata project car with the finest that V8Roadsters.com has to offer...!). Glad to be here.
You Can see what he likes to do, so holding back on this with a stock drive train may be an issue! He is a much better mechanic than I am, plus he has talented friends when needed. His 405 LS2 powered Miata with tubular A-arms etc.. very trick Car.
Attachment 48353353
Attachment 48353354
Attachment 48349993
Build Link
https://www.v8miata.net/general-moto...-carolina-794/

hcallaway 04-10-2018 03:36 PM

4 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by 65hihp (Post 1596968888)
Hello and great to see a new owner of a 64 in old unrestored condition in the Richmond area. I am in Charlottesville now, but will be in Mechanicsville as of May 1. There are a few of us 64 owners down that way and would love to make your acquaintance. Mine is also old and original (in most ways). Please drop a pm or an email if you would like to compare notes on getting yours sorted out. Good work pulling this jewel down from NY safely in this last snow storm. Don

I am afraid that the car shows much better in the pictures than in person. She is rough but I think there are lot of solid bones to work with. I am in the back end of a 2 year restoration of a 1960 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite that is a complete nut and bolt rotisserie restoration. I have to finish it before we can get knee deep in the 64.
This may be part of the reason we want to try and use it as is for the foreseeable future. I am hoping Pat will take it to Raleigh and get the build off to next step.
Attachment 48353352

Attachment 48351206

Attachment 48351208

Attachment 48351203
I into this car for about 350 hours of labor. This is my build thread.
http://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/s...a-back-to-life

ptjsk 04-10-2018 03:56 PM

Congratulations on the new (old) car!

Another good thread to follow.

Pat

pop23235 04-10-2018 07:47 PM

Hello and welcome from/to Richmond. I'm in the midst of a frame off restoration of a 64 convertible. What part of town do you have fun in? We're in the NW side of Henrico.

elwood13 04-10-2018 08:01 PM

Wow, did you move yours this weekend also? You definitely had more snow. That is great you and your brother are going to work on it together. I wish mine was but at least my oldest son will take his spot. Glad yours is running. Loading at 2am with sleet and a hi-lift jack as a come along was not the most pleasurable thing I have ever done. I think Pat will beat us both and you will take second as mine will be on hold for a while, but at least me and the boy have it. I will be following along as well. I have found there a lot of great knowledgeable people here that can help.

ToySnakePMC 04-10-2018 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by elwood13 (Post 1596970993)
Wow, did you move yours this weekend also? You definitely had more snow. That is great you and your brother are going to work on it together. I wish mine was but at least my oldest son will take his spot. Glad yours is running. Loading at 2am with sleet and a hi-lift jack as a come along was not the most pleasurable thing I have ever done. I think Pat will beat us both and you will take second as mine will be on hold for a while, but at least me and the boy have it. I will be following along as well. I have found there a lot of great knowledgeable people here that can help.

I’ve enjoyed your build thread today, and will definitely follow along. Your brother would be SO proud.

GTOguy 04-10-2018 08:10 PM

NO SUCH THING as a Plain Jane Sting Ray, IMO! Not with those body lines! Thanks for the updates, keep the updates coming, and good luck with your progress!

ptjsk 04-11-2018 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by elwood13 (Post 1596970993)

I've got a head start on you guy's, but you guy's can catch up quickly.

Unfortunately, I'm waiting on my frame, and all the components of the frame & suspension. The powder-coater lost his blaster employee, so he's behind.

Both of your stories are pretty cool, so it's going to be nice watching you guys go through the builds.

Pat

hcallaway 04-11-2018 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by ptjsk (Post 1596972719)
I've got a head start on you guy's, but you guy's can catch up quickly.

Unfortunately, I'm waiting on my frame, and all the components of the frame & suspension. The powder-coater lost his blaster employee, so he's behind.

Both of your stories are pretty cool, so it's going to be nice watching you guys go through the builds.

Pat

Pat I almost hate that you saw this build site. I found your new project, pictures of your red Vette, and a picture of the Nomad, your knowledge and work will make us look like a freak show. I am glad we have been up front with the fact we plan on taking liberties while trying to appear stock on a budget build.

ptjsk 04-11-2018 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by hcallaway (Post 1596973108)
Pat I almost hate that you saw this build site. I found your new project, pictures of your red Vette, and a picture of the Nomad, your knowledge and work will make us look like a freak show. I am glad we have been up front with the fact we plan on taking liberties while trying to appear stock on a budget build.

Thanks a lot for the kind comments.

Honestly though, I don't know any more than the average guy on here. I'm just lucky enough to be able to spend the time it takes to rebuild these old cars.

Fortunately there are a lot of good guys on here willing to help us all out, especially when we run into something we haven't encountered before.

Lot's of fun for all of us to play with these cars.

Pat