CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   Alarm goes off. How do I disable it (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/4125524-alarm-goes-off-how-do-i-disable-it.html)

dozerman1 04-12-2018 04:19 PM

Alarm goes off. How do I disable it

I have disconnected the wires from the exterior door lock, I have installed a bypass for the starter interrupt relay, I have jumpered the wire for the Alarm module relay behind the center dash control panel...
What else can I do to disengage the thing

dozerman1 04-13-2018 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs (Post 1596984969)
What year?

If 84-89, unplug and remove (if desired) the alarm module. That'll do it.
If 90-96, I don't remember if it has a stand-alone "theft" module, I don't think it does. The alarm logic is within the CCM. I'd try connecting the lt grn disarm wire from the door lock to ground at all times. That should keep it from arming, but I've never tried it myself.

it's a 89.. you are talking about the module behind the glove box area (that is IF there was a glove box)

checkur6 04-16-2018 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by dozerman1 (Post 1596984167)
I have disconnected the wires from the exterior door lock, I have installed a bypass for the starter interrupt relay, I have jumpered the wire for the Alarm module relay behind the center dash control panel...
What else can I do to disengage the thing

Is a C7's alarm sensitivity adjustable? :rock::cool:

dozerman1 04-22-2018 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs (Post 1596984969)
What year?

If 84-89, unplug and remove (if desired) the alarm module. That'll do it.
If 90-96, I don't remember if it has a stand-alone "theft" module, I don't think it does. The alarm logic is within the CCM. I'd try connecting the lt grn disarm wire from the door lock to ground at all times. That should keep it from arming, but I've never tried it myself.

I unplugged that module and dthe car won't start. Even after the alarm went off, horn blowing, I unplugged it and it did nothing. Had to disconnect the battery to shut it up

RWDsmoke 04-23-2018 04:09 PM

The alarm system would be useless if it was easy to silence. The VATS system and alarm system are separate systems on the early c4's. The alarm is disabled by turning the door key on either side. The door key switch does not set the alarm but turning it to the unlocked position grounds a wire to the alarm system to disable it. Either door lock switch should silence the alarm. I had a bad switch on my passenger side for years, If I unlocked that door first and opened it the alarm would sound. Then I had to unlock the driver side with the key to silence it. When that switch failed I couldn't couldn't shut off my alarm. With the door panel off you can unplug the connector that goes to the switch and jumper the green and black wires together to silence the alarm. If you replace the door lock switches, be advised there is a left and right side. They look the same but will not work if reversed because they are opposite internally. Don't ask how I know that.

dozerman1 04-23-2018 05:08 PM

[QUOTE=ihatebarkingdogs;1597059362]You unplugged the wrong module. You need to unplug the THEFT module. The theft module and system has nothing to do with starter or fuel disable in an 86-89. It only honks the horn if the door(s) or hatch is opened while set.

If the car won't start, and still honks the horn, you have unplugged the VATS module. Wrong one.[/Q
Please tell me exactly where theis module is located.

dozerman1 04-23-2018 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by RWDsmoke (Post 1597058955)
The alarm system would be useless if it was easy to silence. The VATS system and alarm system are separate systems on the early c4's. The alarm is disabled by turning the door key on either side. The door key switch does not set the alarm but turning it to the unlocked position grounds a wire to the alarm system to disable it. Either door lock switch should silence the alarm. I had a bad switch on my passenger side for years, If I unlocked that door first and opened it the alarm would sound. Then I had to unlock the driver side with the key to silence it. When that switch failed I couldn't couldn't shut off my alarm. With the door panel off you can unplug the connector that goes to the switch and jumper the green and black wires together to silence the alarm. If you replace the door lock switches, be advised there is a left and right side. They look the same but will not work if reversed because they are opposite internally. Don't ask how I know that.

With the engine running I opened the door and the alarm went off. I shut the engine down and then used the key to try and shut the horn off... It didn't work.. I had to disconnect the d...m battery, again....So now what?

RWDsmoke 04-23-2018 06:02 PM

Did you try the door key in both doors? Even if they are unlocked it still takes the key to silence the alarm. I think the fuse for the alarm in in the auxiliary fuse panel behind the radio bezel but that also disables normal function of the horn.

dozerman1 04-23-2018 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by RWDsmoke (Post 1597058955)

When you say door lock switch, do you mean the button switch in the door jam at the rear of the door. It has a gray and also a black wire....

RWDsmoke 04-23-2018 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by dozerman1 (Post 1597060004)
When you say door lock switch, do you mean the button switch in the door jam at the rear of the door. It has a gray and also a black wire....

I believe "door lock cylinder switch" is the correct term. I incorrectly called it a door lock switch. I apologize for adding to the confusion. The switch I'm referring to is mounted inside the door on the back of the exterior door lock cylinder. The wires are light green and black. When you insert your door key from outside the car and turn it, it unlocks the door and disables the alarm.

While working on the system it helps to open the hood and unplug the wires to the horns. Then you can hook the battery cable back without all the annoying noise. You will still hear the horn relay clicking behind the center of the dash so if it stops clicking you have the alarm off. There is a connector behind the door panel that should be easy to reach with the panel off. If you use a piece of wire or other conductor to momentarily connect the two wires (light green and black, the side going towards the front of the door) it should send the signal to disable the alarm.

dozerman1 04-23-2018 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by RWDsmoke (Post 1597060800)
I believe "door lock cylinder switch" is the correct term. I incorrectly called it a door lock switch. I apologize for adding to the confusion. The switch I'm referring to is mounted inside the door on the back of the exterior door lock cylinder. The wires are light green and black. When you insert your door key from outside the car and turn it, it unlocks the door and disables the alarm.

While working on the system it helps to open the hood and unplug the wires to the horns. Then you can hook the battery cable back without all the annoying noise. You will still hear the horn relay clicking behind the center of the dash so if it stops clicking you have the alarm off. There is a connector behind the door panel that should be easy to reach with the panel off. If you use a piece of wire or other conductor to momentarily connect the two wires (light green and black, the side going towards the front of the door) it should send the signal to disable the alarm.

That clears the air. However, do you have any idea what the switch I was talking about does.. It's not the one for the interior lights, that one is the fender well and is actuated by opening the door. I checked....

RWDsmoke 04-23-2018 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by dozerman1 (Post 1597061189)
That clears the air. However, do you have any idea what the switch I was talking about does.. It's not the one for the interior lights, that one is the fender well and is actuated by opening the door. I checked....

That is the switch that turns on the "door ajar" light.

dozerman1 04-23-2018 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by RWDsmoke (Post 1597061571)
That is the switch that turns on the "door ajar" light.

Got it..Thanks!